Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mjzee

What should Parlophone (aka Roulette) reissue next?

23 posts in this topic

When Universal bought BN and other EMI masters, one of the conditions was they needed to sell some other labels to third parties; that's how the Roulette/Roost catalog came to be owned by Warner Music.  Warner is reissuing these under the Parlophone imprint.  What would we suggest they reissue next?

I suggest a remastering of "Stan Getz - The Complete Roost Recordings."  I've always disliked the sound quality of the 3-CD set issued under BN.  In the liner notes, Cuscuna stated that the Roost masters were non-existent.  Maybe so, although I wonder whether some have been subsequently found.  More to the point, today's technology would allow higher-quality transfers to be made from whatever source materials are around, with far less reliance on No-Noise.

So that's my vote; which do you suggest?

Under the Roulette label Warner Japan released the Count Basie and most of the Jack Teagarden and Johnny Smith catalogues, as well as others. These sound FANTASTIC. I think I got them all and I'd like to see them continue to release Roulette titles, such as the rest of the Tyree Glenn. They've done these right.

I haven't seen these Parlophone reissues. I'd like to see them do any of the Roost or Roulette titles, these are good recordings.

Edited by jazzbo

39 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I haven't seen these Parlophone reissues.

Here's an example:

51Gbqk5bTWL.jpg61OxcRQDRDL.jpg

20160709_add21f.JPG

John Handy.  Blakey's "Gypsy Folk Tales".  Bobby Watson.

I would go for OAS boxes of the Mosaic boxes, such as the Basie live and the Maynard Ferguson.

49 minutes ago, GA Russell said:

I would go for OAS boxes of the Mosaic boxes, such as the Basie live and the Maynard Ferguson.

Yeah, I missed the Basie Roulette sets. If this is their route rather than single-disc reissues, then definitely Basie, just get it right and get them all.

That Anne Phillips thing, though, that's a damn good record. Surprised the hell out of me how good it was.

The Betty Carter stuff on Roulette is NECESSARY. Would be great to have that in print again.

It's a good album, has been on cd in Japan.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

The Betty Carter stuff on Roulette is NECESSARY. Would be great to have that in print again.

heartily agree.

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

20160709_add21f.JPG

Had ever heard of her, but this is some sultry stuff.  

And the charts are a lot better than they had to have been.

Good song selection, too. Nothing really over-familiar.

It looks like this is another product of Roulette now belonging to Warner - excellent sound.

R-11740934-1523635933-5187.jpeg.jpg

If they would reissue all of her albums in such audio quality with proper discographical documentation, I'd buy it all one more time.

34 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Johnny Richards - THE RITES OF DIABLO!

That one was included in the Mosaic Select  dedicated to Richards - I guess you would prefer a single dics reissue?

4 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

That one was included in the Mosaic Select  dedicated to Richards - I guess you would prefer a single dics reissue?

The Mosaic did not include the original cover art, or did it?  

So, yes, I want Rites of Diablo restored to its original glory.  

That cover really deserves LP size!

R-1616739-1450644995-9017.jpeg.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

3 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

That cover really deserves LP size!

R-1616739-1450644995-9017.jpeg.jpg

Absolutely.  For me,  the cover art is a key part of the musical experience.  Changing the cover art is like lopping off the opening track.  

4 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Absolutely.  For me,  the cover art is a key part of the musical experience.  Changing the cover art is like lopping off the opening track.  

It is reproduced in the Mosaic Select booklet, though not LP size!

gregmo