Unavailability of hard copy CD product !!!

2 hours ago, Misterioso said:

No luck either using the usual suspects (which you certainly tried as well). In general, I can recommend jpc.de in Germany. Was surprised that they don't have the NDR Big Band recording. Maybe try to contact the artists directly on social media (if that's your thing). Just shows you have an exclusive taste.

Very nice!

I tried to contact the new Rotterdam orchestra people and to no avail.......the CD shows up on there site but with no buying option.

1 hour ago, Ken Dryden said:

I have a CD of Ralph Peterson's Gen-Next Big Band - Listen Up! and it is available on CD Baby, plus the other usual websites, I'm sure.

they are out of stock as of last night......that should be readily available soon.....it's been out over a month now

3 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Here's a lot of beautiful PICTURES of item #1 from the list, of the CD and its marvelous packaging!!

https://www.behance.net/gallery/77807639/NEW-ROTTERDAM-JAZZ-ORCHESTRA-ROTTERDAM-SUITE

cb366977807639.5c925cfd48bb3.jpg

70cc7277807639.5c925cfd49336.jpg

176a8a77807639.5c925cfd48f70.jpg

a1356877807639.5c925cfd48407.jpg

9309d877807639.5c925cfd47fec.jpg

acda1877807639.5c925cfd487dc.jpg

I've seen these pictures in doing google searches ......but still no buyer links and this has been out since Feb 2019.

20 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I almost never do downloads (3-4 releases total, over the last decade, literally).  And I only buy vinyl if there's no other option -- and even then, never "new releases" that are only on vinyl (though I will occasionally buy some older vinyl, for something that's never been on CD ever, or is impossible to find on CD).

I suppose eventually I might have to buy actual "new" new releases on vinyl, to avoid downloads (which I hate), but it hasn't come to that yet.

I too prefer CD's FAR AND AWAY over every other format, but I guess I'm a dying breed.  Might be easier if I was already 70, and my "buying years" were more limited -- but I expect to have some continued interest in music for another 20-25 years, I hope.

As a result, 80% of my purchases (overall), have been of older product that was released years ago -- almost always stuff by older artists I'm just discovering now.  But new artists, for the most part, I'll never hear 95% of their stuff as a result.

I guess I'm entirely the one to blame, but I refuse to dump money into downloads, i.e. data that I won't necessary have reliable access to 10-20 years from now unless all the planets stay in perfect alignment to keep all that virtual music accessible in perpetuity.

These are my thoughts and habits exactly.  Thank you.

Downloads seem already very outdated. For ten years now, it has seemed as if there will eventually be no other option than streaming. I know many members here would never want to move away from the physical product. But most of us are altrady adapting to the reality of the "disposable" digital world. 

Let's compare to the internet as a whole, or for instance this very forum. There is a lot that we like here, old threads, information etc, but most of us have probably not even considered trying to back it up on DVD-ROMs, or whatever physical solution that would be most appropriate (hard drives are curiously often not regarded as "physical" enough :)). We just hope it won't suddenly be gone one day, but if it would, we would learn to live with that. Most younger people look at music in the same way; they trust it will always be there for them, without the need for private, physical copies wasting their limited space.

Since the physical product does no longer dictate the format of the musical work of art - artists are releasing single tracks or collections/concerts that could be longer or shorter than 40/80 minutes playing time - the "album" is mostly a thing of the past. 

Edited by Daniel A

On 22/12/2019 at 8:47 PM, bigbandrecord said:

the new Rotterdam jazz orchestra CD as being featured on pictures in this thread is my number one most wanted right now

According to the orchestra‘s web page, the CD should be available from Platomania, a Dutch chain of record stores. I went to Platomania in Leiden yesterday - they don’t have the CD. Disappointing.

On 22.12.2019 at 5:17 AM, bebopbob said:

I see that Jimmy Cobb has a new recording out called Remembering U which  I can’t seem to find on disc . Any leads as to a CD copy?

Thanks- and all the best for a happy holiday season to all 

Bob

I also noticed that when I saw Dave Liebman made a new Album "On the Corner Live" and I can´t find it as a CD ? 

That´s strange, because one year earlier I purchased "Chi" also by Liebman, on CD.

I have no idea how to purchase that "On the Corner Live!" . I just CAN´T listen otherwise than CD or LP, and by the way, if it´s not available as a CD how can I get Musical presents for Birthday, Father´s day, Chrismas etc...…? 

Bandcamp has the function to give download albums/tracks as gifts. Things move on but stay the same.

The Liebman CD is available here - third result on a Google search

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/davidliebmanfriends

You may have to import from US but that's a price we have to make occasionally living in Europe. All depends on how much you want to hear something. The reason I buy occasional downloads too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2019 at 2:47 PM, bigbandrecord said:

Thank you all for all the leads you guys have given me.......the new Rotterdam jazz orchestra CD as being featured on pictures in this thread is my number one most wanted right now

IIRC, all those pics seemed to come from a webpage by the designer of all that glorious packaging.  Maybe contact him or her directly, and ask for advice on purchasing a phyiscal copy?  They may be able to put you in contact with their contacts within the band, if nothing else, and you could ask then directly?

On 12/20/2019 at 10:12 AM, bigbandrecord said:

This is a sampling of what I'm looking for with some before 2018 releases indicated in ( )

1. New Rotterdam Jazz Orchestra - Rotterdam Suite

2. Peter Tenner Jazz Orchestra - Neuland

3. Stageband Jazz Orchestra - Hallsta Suite

4. Ralph Peterson's Gen-Next Big Band - Listen Up !

5. Marcus Wyatt & The ZAR Jazz Orchestra - One Night in the Sun

6. Remy Le Boeuf - Assembly of Shadows

7. Thomas Stabenow & NDR Big Band - S/t (2015)

8. DW Jazz Orchestra - Coalescence (2017)

9. Tom Haines & The Birmingham(UK) Jazz Orchestra - Live (2017)

10. Jaelem Bhate - On the Edge

You do NOT want a CD of the Peterson.  I am publishing a review of it tommorrow.  The music is terrific, however there are mastering and post production errors that went unchecked.  The CD was initially pressed with the wrong track order, then pressed again with sequence errors still present.  I can confirm through digital promo and CD these errors are present.  Lydia Liebman has made journalists like myself aware of the issues with this album, Mr. Peterson did not catch these errors before the album went out

On 12/31/2019 at 1:30 AM, mjazzg said:

Bandcamp has the function to give download albums/tracks as gifts. Things move on but stay the same.

The Liebman CD is available here - third result on a Google search

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/davidliebmanfriends

You may have to import from US but that's a price we have to make occasionally living in Europe. All depends on how much you want to hear something. The reason I buy occasional downloads too.

Is that the Chester Thompson who played with Zappa?

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 9:55 PM, CJ Shearn said:

You do NOT want a CD of the Peterson.  I am publishing a review of it tommorrow.  The music is terrific, however there are mastering and post production errors that went unchecked.  The CD was initially pressed with the wrong track order, then pressed again with sequence errors still present.  I can confirm through digital promo and CD these errors are present.  Lydia Liebman has made journalists like myself aware of the issues with this album, Mr. Peterson did not catch these errors before the album went out

maybe that's why there's been a delay on this due to faulty pressing issues, cause his last CD was normally released in a timely manner.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 3:13 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

IIRC, all those pics seemed to come from a webpage by the designer of all that glorious packaging.  Maybe contact him or her directly, and ask for advice on purchasing a phyiscal copy?  They may be able to put you in contact with their contacts within the band, if nothing else, and you could ask then directly?

I emailed the band's website twice already........no response

Edited by bigbandrecord

On 13/01/2020 at 3:55 AM, CJ Shearn said:

And this, kids, is one of a dozen reasons why you want downloads and not physical media.

The real mystery to me is how you lot complaining about the lack of outdated and inferior technology are putting up with an electric computing machine that sends messages through the æther. I, personally, far prefer to receive my pointless rants by Pony Express.

3 hours ago, lipi said:

And this, kids, is one of a dozen reasons why you want downloads and not physical media.

The real mystery to me is how you lot complaining about the lack of outdated and inferior technology are putting up with an electric computing machine that sends messages through the æther. I, personally, far prefer to receive my pointless rants by Pony Express.

Thank you so much for deigning to come down from the mountaintop of enlightenment to guide all of us old, misguided simpletons onto the proper path of wisdom and righteousness.

4 hours ago, lipi said:

4 hours ago, lipi said:

The download has the same problems, the artist did not catch them.  I still like CD's too and yes hard copies can fail, but it's better to have a hard copy, even if you back up the digital because that too can fail. Plus, artists cannot autograph a file.  The sarcasm you intended did not come off

On 16/01/2020 at 10:42 AM, CJ Shearn said:

The download has the same problems, the artist did not catch them.  I still like CD's too and yes hard copies can fail, but it's better to have a hard copy, even if you back up the digital because that too can fail. Plus, artists cannot autograph a file.  The sarcasm you intended did not come off

You missed the point: with downloads the ordering is immaterial, since you decide the ordering. The secondary point, which you also missed in your eagerness to prove you understand the world, is that a download is trivially fixable: it's one quick copy of a file or a directory on a web server, and immediately everyone who wants to buy the music will obtain the corrected files.

Don't dismiss the new just because you grew up with the old.

As to the autographing: that's a new argument that no one in this thread had so far made, but sure, I guess? I have also never understood the mysterious draw of the autograph, but I understand there are those who do. I'm keen to hear what percentage of releases owned by the collective CD-or-bust crowd are autographed.

And felser: SOMEone has to come down and scream at the top of their lungs in this forum every now and then, because otherwise it's just a recording of an echo chamber filled with 70 year old men. And not even a download of a recording. Some sort of weird old "CD" thing. What gives?

BTW, I also do downloads but I prefer CD, lipi.  I also stream on Amazon HD music.  So it's great that you think I "understand the world", just by laying an assumption I knock downloads. I was specifically referring to the production mess on the Ralph Peterson CD AND download.  Don't believe me, check out the download version... same flaws as the CD.   If you prefer downloads, that's fine, there's advantages and disadvantages to both.  I'm finished with this conversation. 

Edited by CJ Shearn