Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GA Russell

Speakers for desktop computers

13 posts in this topic

I might be in the market soon for new computer speakers. 

Mine are Creative, and I'd like to move up a notch or two.

Any recommendations for a good value?

2 hours ago, felser said:

I'm on my second pair.  Can't remember how long I had the first pair before they died.   But I find them surprisingly good for the price.  Got mine at the Apple store both times. 

47 minutes ago, medjuck said:

I'm on my second pair.  Can't remember how long I had the first pair before they died.   But I find them surprisingly good for the price.  Got mine at the Apple store both times. 

Got mine from Dell as an optional upgrade when I ordered the desktop PC in 2016.

Thanks, guys!  I've put the Bose on my camels list.

Posted (edited)

Last time this topic came up I recommended the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (two-channel plus a subwoofer). I have never heard better sound from any computer speaker in its price range (and they outperform some that are considerably more expensive). I've had them for many years, but in the currently-available version they appear to have made some changes to the design, which most Amazon reviewers seem to think hasn't affected the sound quality. Coincidentally, the technology columnist for our local paper just praised these to the skies in his weekly email column - he just bought a new set after the subwoofer died in the set he'd had for almost twenty years. 

They are more expensive than the Bose set - Amazon is currently selling them for $229, but you can get them directly from Klipsch for $150:

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO

https://www.klipsch.com/products/klipsch-promedia-2-1-thx-certified-computer-speaker

With some patience you may be able to get an even better deal. I think I paid around $120 for the ones I have when Best Buy had them on sale.  

Edited by Dave Garrett

I would get the IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitors. Huge sound, very small footprint.

8 minutes ago, Jim Alfredson said:

I would get the IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitors. Huge sound, very small footprint.

Thanks, Jim!  I've put them on my camels list.

On 3/19/2020 at 0:02 AM, Dave Garrett said:

Last time this topic came up I recommended the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (two-channel plus a subwoofer). I have never heard better sound from any computer speaker in its price range (and they outperform some that are considerably more expensive). I've had them for many years, but in the currently-available version they appear to have made some changes to the design, which most Amazon reviewers seem to think hasn't affected the sound quality. Coincidentally, the technology columnist for our local paper just praised these to the skies in his weekly email column - he just bought a new set after the subwoofer died in the set he'd had for almost twenty years. 

They are more expensive than the Bose set - Amazon is currently selling them for $229, but you can get them directly from Klipsch for $150:

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO

https://www.klipsch.com/products/klipsch-promedia-2-1-thx-certified-computer-speaker

With some patience you may be able to get an even better deal. I think I paid around $120 for the ones I have when Best Buy had them on sale.  

I have used a pair of Klipsch Tangent bookshelf speakers with my stereo for probably 20-25 years.  Love them, and the price was great.

Posted (edited)

On 22/03/2020 at 6:46 AM, Jim Alfredson said:

Favorably reviewed on this website: http://noaudiophile.com/IK_Multimedia_iLoudMM/

The author provides a lot of technical data (measurements) that may not be your cup of tea. Based on my experience on some other models he reviews, I trust his ears, and he does not mince his words, which is not common with audio reviewers, making for a fun read on occasion. 

Edited by hopkins

I've been using Genelec speakers for decades. Fantastic monitors and the only one you'll ever ever need in this lifetime. I've got 2 rigs, one has 2x 8020 + subwoofer, another 2 x G One (the smallest and cheapest Genelec monitors).