How do you organize it?

OK, how do y'all organize your collections? Alphabetical? By label? Chronological?

I do historical context and some 'instrument' with the jazz, style/historical with the rock (i.e., UK folk-psych, Canterbury, US progressive), and haven't decided how to organize the 'classical' yet (it's all weird shit, so...).

artists alphabetical (numbers go before A) according to last name, then first name

there is a category various artists that goes in at V.

within artist, according to recording date of the first date on the disk.

boxed sets are kept in their own order are put in jewel cases and are integrated with the rest.

should it get out of hand moving it all when new purchases need to be put in their rightful place, I will opt for eiter chaos or order of acquisition. Each one will get a number and there will be a catalogue to allow me to find things. The latter works well for classical BTW, where you often have various composers or performers on one disk.

Either way: there is serendipity and serendipity rules.

I have a system of 'personal genre pigeon-holein'; not very good in this inclusive era, but I find it works.

If for example, I have some Horace Silver albums, then the one nearest his collaborations with Blakey will sit alongside the drummer's albums.

Probably not a good example.

Difficult when you consider an artist like Miles or Trane who developed and changed widely.

Extremely flawed but can appear like a 'family tree' at it's best.

I should do the alphabetical thing. When I leave an evenings listening in a pile on the floor, my wife will not attempt to replace the albums back where they belong. I can't settle if they aren't in order.

OCD? Maybe!

Nothing wrong with pigeon-holein'; I probably do that a fair amount. For example: Moncur's "Evolution" is with the Jackie Mc LPs; "Some other Stuff" is with the Wayne Shorter, Tony Williams and Sam Rivers LPs, and the BYGs and JCOA LP are with the Shepps et al. Most of my Coltrane Impulses are together, but maybe they should be broken up too... but the evolutionary perspective is OK, too; I just have a problem with having, say, "Soultrane" anywhere near "Interstellar Space." Too complicated!

Roughly thematic shelves.

But the themes get disrupted by recent enthusiasms.

Norwegian/Finnish folk music and Australian jazz ended up with pre-1945 jazz!!!

Swedish folk shares a spot with jazz vocals.

I live in constant hope that they will cross-fertilise. Anyone for "Louis Pops Cobber Pohjonen"?

Edited by Bev Stapleton

I put new ones where they fit, every shelf I have is loaded.

I just got new crates for my vinyl, and re-alphabetized the lot.

Separated by genre; arranged aphabetically; chronological within multiple titles by a single artist. Compilations and cdrs separated out.

Standard alphabetical system here. Jazz on one shelf, Rock, blues, folk/bluegrass on another and the classical cds (of which I have like 5 or 6) after all of that. Right now I'm in a bit of dissarray, just the stuff I have gotten in the last 2 or 3 months are scattered all around. I need to find new storage ideas, though my girlfriend isnt bugging me to find a better place for them right now, so they will remain scattered until I find a better solution.

artists alphabetical (numbers go before A) according to last name, then first name

within artist, according to recording date of the first date on the disk.

boxed sets are kept in their own order are put in jewel cases and are integrated with the rest.

mine are organized like this too :lol:

there are 4 racks available so 1,5 is for jazz, 1,5 for all other styles and 1 for Prince

MCO

Last In First Out.

Sometimes it's hard to find what I'm looking for, but I know right away where to find something I haven't heard in a while.

You know, I've thought many times about giving this system a try, but my anal side always takes over. Maybe if my wife is ever succesful in transferring my anal tendencies from the CD racks to housekeeping...

Jazz LP section

Jazz CD section

Blue Note CD section

CD Chronolical Classics section

Mosaic section

Unopened Mosaic section

Rock,soul,pop LP section

Rock,soul,pop CD section (getting to be a mess)

Country LP section

Country CD section (overflowing)

Xmas CD section

Various artists CD section

New arrival CD section (always messy)

Unlistened to LP section (getting bigger instead of smaller)

CD box set section

Soundtrack CD section

Soundtrack LP section

DVD section

New arrival DVD section

Laserdisc section

VHS section

cassette section

CDR section

Bootleg section

To SELL section

Duplicates section

all in alphabetical by artist

:wub:

Edited by Tjazz

Last In First Out.

Sometimes it's hard to find what I'm looking for, but I know right away where to find something I haven't heard in a while.

You know, I've thought many times about giving this system a try, but my anal side always takes over. Maybe if my wife is ever succesful in transferring my anal tendencies from the CD racks to housekeeping...

Moose, it takes extra shelf space. Otherwise, you are constantly moving a few CDs from each shelf down to the one beneath. Try it if your CDs have room to breathe!

Racks for vinyl

racks for cd's

drawers for cassettes

equals- My organization

I try to keep them seperated by genre and keep certain artists together, but it never seems to work. It's fairly tidy, but chaotic.

Sometimes I can't find the jewelbox for a cd I was listening to, so I go over to my rack and grab one of my empty blank jewelboxes and write the name on a pece of tape and put the cd away until the jewelbox surfaces (it's usually right in front of me for days). Every couple of months, I go about reuniting cd's with their proper jewelboxes.

This used to be more complicated until I decided to burn additional copies of my favorite cd's to put in the tower in my car. That way I don't have empty cd boxes at home and I get to keep the orginals in case my car gets broken into again. (technically, it's quite legal to do that since I am not selling these and I did purchase the originals anyway.I know the record companies would prefer that I buy two or more, but I buy a lot of cd's and I ain't rich)

My sheet music is a mess too.

When the number of CDs were still very manageable they were organised neatly on racks by artist by music style. Now they're slotted anywhere I can find a space, including cupboard for clothes, bed and placing them in cardboard boxes. Gotta get some custom-made shelves soon. <_<