Dmitry

I've got mono.

32 posts in this topic

Just purchased my first mono cartridge, a Grado Mono ME+. Wanted one for a while, and will treat myself for the upcoming big 5-O. It was going to be either this one, or the Audio-Technica AT3MONO/LP. Both are supposed to be excellent for the price; I went with the Brooklyn, NY product. Now I just hope it doesn't hum on my turntable.

https://4ourears.com/collections/specialty-cartridges/products/grado-prestige-mono-phono-cartridge-model-me

Does anyone have a dedicated MONO cartridge for their records? 

Edited by Dmitry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, but I've read where they really help the sound on mono recordings, even if the record's physical condition is below average. 

Congrats on your buy. Hope you enjoy the tunes!

Edited by Dub Modal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I have dual setups on my turntable with one being a dedicated Ortofon mono cartridge. On the superficial side, yes, you'll find that many mono records will play with less surface noise than via a stereo cart. My experience is that dedicated mono cart >>> stereo cart + mono button >>> stereo cart. I spun my original of Bill English on Vanguard the other night and decided to compare carts (I just replaced both carts two weeks ago). The mono was huge, in your face, jumping out of the speakers, sound. The stereo seemed like someone was playing it through a cheerleader's megaphone.... from the other side of the gym.

Happy Birthday! I hit the same milestone and treated myself to a new phono stage!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Just purchased my first mono cartridge, a Grado Mono ME+. Wanted one for a while, and will treat myself for the upcoming big 5-O. It was going to be either this one, or the Audio-Technica AT3MONO/LP. Both are supposed to be excellent for the price; I went with the Brooklyn, NY product. Now I just hope it doesn't hum on my turntable.

https://4ourears.com/collections/specialty-cartridges/products/grado-prestige-mono-phono-cartridge-model-me

Does anyone have a dedicated MONO cartridge for their records? 

How do you do the switch?  Do you unplug and replug the 4 little wires, or is there an easier way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mjzee said:

How do you do the switch?  Do you unplug and replug the 4 little wires, or is there an easier way?

Yeah. It's much easier if you have removable headshells, like the ones on Technics tables, or SME tonearms. OR if you have a separate table for mono records.

Even with removable headshells, don't forget that cartridges have different tracking forces, and different VTAs, which you'd need to tweak every time you change the headshells....unless you have, for example, two cartridges of identical dimensions, like 2 Grados, one mono, one stereo. Then the switch from stereo to mono would be effortless.

If not, having two turntables set up, for stereo and mono, is ideal. You'd only need to set it up each cartridge once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Just purchased my first mono cartridge, a Grado Mono ME+.

I have exactly that mono cartridge mounted on my second headshell of my Thorens turntable, and I'm very stisfied with the sound it creates. Much less noise compared to the same LP played back with a stereo cartridge.

The difference in weight of both is the only inconvenience about changing the headshells. But I just got then idea of getting a precision scale and attaching some weight to the lighter headshell. That would make it a lot easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not just have two different turntables?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JSngry said:

Why not just have two different turntables?

I have two arms setup on my turntable but even with two TT you'll need two phono stages to avoid swapping cables. I had exactly that until my most recent upgrade to a phono stage with two inputs. Granted, I needed a SUP to use the MM input but both arm / cart combos sound great after dialing in the phono settings for each cart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

now that you mention it my cart is a stereo cart but with the correct 3 mil 78 rpm STYLUS attached, and then i for good measure have the mono button engaged.  I need to get what you got though i think

oh wait wait oh god oh youre doing 33s

 

i have a newer audio technica cart on my 78 rpm dual 1229 deck: but with the correct 78 rpm stylus + riaa bipass + mono button.   

 

Do you think it woujld be worth it to get something like what he got but that would have also have the proper 3mil 78 rpm stylus.  

-----------

*chewy again, swapping the stylus was easy: a simple pull and push into slot.  changing the CART, thats with a mini screwdriver or very delicate attaching the wires to the headshell, corrrect.........i dont know if im down to mess w/ that on the dual, the dual is very very fragile

 

oh wowowowo im on the page now.  i thought grado was 5,000.  i just dont know how i would attach it- 

 

4E-78EPC-2_3bf8c208-c926-4b24-a739-9ebf2

it was easy beacuse the audio technica stylus on the 78 rpm dual audio tecnica cart, is easy to swap. doesnt mean itll be easy to remove and insert the entire cart itself- so fragile

 

 

4E-Gold-2.jpg?v=1597164106

 

:o

 

what grado gold3 ohhh i need this too.  my higher end stanton cart from 1974 is good but this would be better, right- 

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

long story short i cant do it mystelf id have to haul it to the local area audio store, not a pleasnt experience by any means

:o:o:o

 

grado-labs-grado-lineage-epoch3-phono-ca

Grado Lineage Epoch3 ($12,000) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why does the 12,000 one look not as good as the 100 one.  

On 12/3/2020 at 0:58 PM, spinlps said:

Yes, I have dual setups on my turntable with one being a dedicated Ortofon mono cartridge. On the superficial side, yes, you'll find that many mono records will play with less surface noise than via a stereo cart. My experience is that dedicated mono cart >>> stereo cart + mono button >>> stereo cart. I spun my original of Bill English on Vanguard the other night and decided to compare carts (I just replaced both carts two weeks ago). The mono was huge, in your face, jumping out of the speakers, sound. The stereo seemed like someone was playing it through a cheerleader's megaphone.... from the other side of the gym.

Happy Birthday! I hit the same milestone and treated myself to a new phono stage!

yea thats what i have i suppose: stereo cart + mono button.   but with the proper stylus and the proper riaa bypass.  in regards to surface noise, i mean my setup plays quiet when the disc is quiet.  i have a late period peggy lee decca that sounds like sacd.  also in regards to surface noise:  THE VICTOR ELIMINATES SURFACE NOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!:o   When you play, a noisy very old 78 through the Victor, something is happening, compression, or i dont really know what.  when the 78 plays, in the transfering to AM.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4.12.2020 at 3:55 AM, JSngry said:

Why not just have two different turntables?

Lack of space?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Space is infinite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Space is infinite.

Not in Europe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terrestrial mapping is a 20th Century paradigm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Not in Europe. 

Not in my living room.

16 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

why does the 12,000 one look not as good as the 100 one.  

That's the surface texture of the hardwood from which they make the housing. The plastic of the cheaper cartridges has a smoother surface. But the hardwood resonates less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i use 3: 78 rpm, 33/45 rpm and lastly a dedicated player for broadcasting to Hi-Fi AM (45's, rock lps, anything not going through the victor) and bootlegs(speed control).  (sadly this platter is also a 12"- needs + 4 in).  and no i dont have any space this is nutz in here.  I'm glad Dmitry is happy though.im ok w/ my setup too yay everybodys jazz soundin good

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Not in my living room.

That's the surface texture of the hardwood from which they make the housing. The plastic of the cheaper cartridges has a smoother surface. But the hardwood resonates less.

That is debatable, and indeed, possible to measure.

I like the look of wood, like many of us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JSngry said:

Terrestrial mapping is a 20th Century paradigm.

In what sense?

Many, if not most Europeans live in apartments. I suppose with clever planning they could accommodate 2, maybe even 3 turntables. They are good at fitting things. Look at Ikea. 

They've been doing it a long time:

7d89dea426dca4c0010272b78f1a244f.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose the Japanese are the masters of fitting things. Well, at least Tokyo residents. 

I might be able to fit any number of turntables at home in theory, but I would not appreciate the busy look. One of the main ideals of Scandinavian design is 'simplicity', and that may extend outside Scandinavia as well (think Dieter Rams designs).

So we might be prone to use the ability to fit things to make things look "less" rather than using up the available space. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally agree, Daniel. No need for a separate mono rig in this set up here. Space - and racking - which can be better used on other stuff.

Personally, I have always found both stereo and mono pressings sound just fine on a single, half way decent, setup.

On 05/12/2020 at 1:02 AM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

long story short i cant do it mystelf id have to haul it to the local area audio store, not a pleasnt experience by any means

:o:o:o

 

grado-labs-grado-lineage-epoch3-phono-ca

Grado Lineage Epoch3 ($12,000) 

Lunacy ! :D

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Living? In an apartment? That's an oxymoron.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2020 at 2:41 AM, Daniel A said:

I suppose the Japanese are the masters of fitting things. Well, at least Tokyo residents. 

I might be able to fit any number of turntables at home in theory, but I would not appreciate the busy look. One of the main ideals of Scandinavian design is 'simplicity', and that may extend outside Scandinavia as well (think Dieter Rams designs).

So we might be prone to use the ability to fit things to make things look "less" rather than using up the available space. 

There's a English term FRENCH FITTING, which refers to boxes usually [think today's apartments], where a number of items are nicely placed next to each other, maximizing the use of enclosure. Like the brace of Le Page pistols above. 

Scandinavian design ideas of simplicity certainly didn't manifest in your automobiles. Saabs, especially, were anything but simple to work on.

In good news, I received my cartridge, and will be mounting it tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2020 at 7:50 PM, Dmitry said:

Does anyone have a dedicated MONO cartridge for their records? 

Yes and it tracks better then a stereo. BTW I have a two arms TT, so I saved space, at a high price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I set up the Grado Me+ late yesterday night, and had time to play just 2 mono albums -

Song For My Father, BLP 4185, New York USA  - right away noticed less surface noise than with the stereo cartridge. 

The Modern Jazz Quartet, PRLP 160, 10" original from 1953 - there's no magic, record wear from a heavy 1950s needle can't be reversed.

Like porcy62 said, the mono cartridge seems to track the grooves better than the stereo. I noticed that on the much more dynamic Horace Silver album. I'll do some fine tuning tonight.

Edited by Dmitry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.