cliffpeterson

Sonny Simmons RIP

23 posts in this topic

Last night on Facebook on one group, it was reported that Sonny died.  Under "John Coltrane memorial project" on youtube, yesterday an individual has posted a tribute to Sonny while referring to his passing.  A French jazz blog appears to confirm Sonny's death: http://jazzaparis.canalblog.com.  No details provided.

Sonny Simmons….oh my...somebody to always follow...so much playing....RIP and no small love here.

I hope it’s not true but it probably is. Sonny was a giant. A unique saxophone player with a beautiful sound.

Sorry to hear this.  He was a monster, and will be greatly missed.  Shocking and a great disappointment to me that 'Rumasuma' has never been reissued.

8 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

yeah, I'm willing to trust Pierre Crépon on this. Sad news. I interviewed him in 2004, fascinating character and one of the great saxophonists to emerge in the 1960s.

Do you have a link to the interview?

PM me your email. I'm trying not to drive traffic to AAJ, and have reedited it anyway for future publication elsewhere.

Sonny's partner Janet Janke emailed me.  Apparently Sonny passed on 4/6.  A remarkable lack of web info, considering Sonny's great output.  If anyone is interested, I put together a partial sessionography on excel.  I'd be happy to share it.

30 minutes ago, Out Front Outback said:

Sonny's partner Janet Janke emailed me.  Apparently Sonny passed on 4/6.  A remarkable lack of web info, considering Sonny's great output.  If anyone is interested, I put together a partial sessionography on excel.  I'd be happy to share it.

Out Front - It would be great if you could just copy-and-paste the info right in this thread.  I'd be interested in seeing it. :tup 

Sonny often used to play outside the window of my San Fransisco office (1982-1986).  I, a dude in a suit, chatted with him a few times.  After a while, he recognized me, but I was pretty self conscious about being a guy in a suit.  I'm so glad to have gotten to hear him there and later in concert.  

On 4/15/2021 at 9:21 PM, HutchFan said:

Out Front - It would be great if you could just copy-and-paste the info right in this thread.  I'd be interested in seeing it. :tup 

Me too!

Nikko, this obviously went a lot farther than I was able to get.... nice you were able to snag it though original hello world site appears to be gone.  for some reason page 6 does not load.  Thanks again!