Can Anyone Sort Out For Me Who Owns What?

DMP

9 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I didn't know that Starday and King merged. 

a long time ago...and then they became Gusto at some point iirc.

https://www.discogs.com/label/46335-Starday-King-Records

The JB stuff all went to Polydor, iirc, but the rest of it...

ok, for Bethlehem:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethlehem_Records

In 1958, Bethlehem began a distributing deal with King Records. In 1962, Bethlehem Records was sold and absorbed by King Records.[2] After Syd Nathan's death in 1968, King was acquired by Starday Records and relaunched as Starday and King Records. It was purchased in 1970 by Lin Broadcasting and in 1972 by Tennessee Recording & Publishing, until acquired by Gusto Records in 1974. At that time, Bethlehem was purchased by the Cayre brothers' Salsoul Records, who initially intended to release its back catalog for inexpensive 8-track tapes in the 1970s. By 1993, the Bethlehem name was revived as Bethlehem Music Company, although Salsoul is often used as an imprint. The Verse Music Group obtained its licensing in 2010. In 2015 BMG acquired the catalog of Verse Music, including the Bethlehem label.[3]

During 2013–2014, Verse and Naxos reissued the 1950s catalogue on LP, CD, and digital download. This included music by Art Blakey, Chris Connor, Paula Castle, John Coltrane, Dexter Gordon, Nina Simone, Mel Tormé, and Zoot Sims.[4]

Ok, as for King:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Records_(United_States)

When Nathan died in 1968, King was acquired by Hal Neely's Starday Records and restarted as Starday and King Records. The songwriting team of Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller bought the label in 1970 but sold it soon afterwards to LIN Broadcasting, which in turn sold it to Tennessee Recording & Publishing (owned by Freddy Bienstock, Hal Neely, Leiber and Stoller), which sold it to Gusto Records in 1974. In 1971, James Brown's recording contract and back catalogue were sold to Polydor Records.[6] Since 2001, Collectables Records has been reissuing the King Records catalogue.

King still seems to be owned by Gusto (as do many other labels):https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gusto_Records

Gusto Records is a Nashville, Tennessee-based record company that specializes in reissuing and licensing recordings.

The catalogues that Gusto owns include King Records (except for recordings by James Brown),[1] Starday, Scepter (except for recordings by Dionne Warwick,[2] and the pre-RCA recordings of The Guess Who), Wand (except for recordings by The Kingsmen)[3] Musicor, Chart (except for recordings by Lynn Anderson and a few other artists who bought their own masters),[4] Federal, Audio Lab, Ovation, Step One, Atteiram, and others. Gusto is believed to maintain one of the largest independently owned collection of record masters.

If this is current, wow, it's sitting in Nashville waiting for a deal, licensing or otherwise.

Bethlehem, yeah Cayre is the link in the chain I had forgotten about...that is/was an "interesting" outfit as well...

21 minutes ago, felser said:

Where is the Cobblestone/Muse catalog?  Languishing with Denon?  So much that could be done with it.

AFAIK, Cobblestone was a partnership of Schlitten and Fields; Muse was always all Fields.  When Cobblestone ended, the two partners took their own masters.  Schlitten's ended up on Xanadu, and Fields's on Muse.  Muse is now owned by Denon; Schlitten still owns Xanadu.

22 minutes ago, mjzee said:

AFAIK, Cobblestone was a partnership of Schlitten and Fields; Muse was always all Fields.  When Cobblestone ended, the two partners took their own masters.  Schlitten's ended up on Xanadu, and Fields's on Muse.  Muse is now owned by Denon; Schlitten still owns Xanadu.

Thanks.  Both are sitting on some gems.

Just now, Stonewall15 said:

I am looking for one that slipped into limbo. Transition TRLP-18. "Jazz Down Beat" featuring Jay Migliori.

Back when I was at Delmark and we were perusing the master list that title was crossed out and "Migliori" was penciled next to it. I took that to mean Jay had the tapes.

Do you have any idea where the tapes could be? Enough was known about the session. It is shown in the Lord discography and one tune was released on TRLP-30 Sampler "Something's Gotta Give" The notes on this LP also show a discography for TRLP-18. 

If the tapes can be found it is possible that Jordi Pujol of Fresh Sound Records could release them on CD. Jordi has released several Transition LPs on CD. I have been in contact with him regarding TRLP-18, which he would like to have..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's a related question, and I'll use "The Crusaders - 5 Original Albums" as an example:

71YMBpUSGHL._SL1200_.jpg61D5565P%2BPL.jpg

Some, but not all, of these albums were originally issued on Blue Thumb ("Street Life" certainly was not).  And yet, the Blue Thumb logo is shown on both the front and back covers.  IIRC (and confirmed by Wikipedia), Blue Thumb was originally independent, then bought by Famous Music, then bought by ABC, which was sold to MCA, now absorbed into the Universal behemoth.  So the question is: why show the Blue Thumb logo?  Is it that the original owners of Blue Thumb, or some other owners along the way, retain some ownership percentage?