What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first two are Amazon Prime orders. Any other Prime members notice that 2-Day Shipping isn't remotely that these days? I had these items in my cart Tuesday and it quoted a Friday delivery. I ordered them today and I'll get one Monday and one Tuesday. wtf.

yes, I'm experiencing the same issue. What am I paying for? I ordered something monday and it qouted me Thurs delivery and was going to order something today, quoted me Monday. Wonder what the deal is.

My first 2015 batch:

Eve Risser / Benjamin Duboc / Edward Perraud - En Corps [2012, Dark Tree]

Rodrigo Amado Motion Trio feat. Jeb Bishop - The Flame Alphabet [2013, Not Two]

RED Trio + Nate Wooley - Stem [2012, Clean Feed]

Daunik Lazro / Joëlle Léandre - Hasparren [2014, NoBusiness]

Riverloam Trio (Olie Brice / Mark Sanders / Mikołaj Trzaska) - Inem Gortn [2014, FMR]

Got a few downloads from Amazon today

512ZbMsGX%2BL._SS280.jpg

Djeli Moussa Kouyate (with Sekouba Bambimo & Camara Aboubacar) - Kankou Moussa - Bolibana

61zwd6uY3UL._SS280.jpg

Ami Koite - Tata sira - Bolibana

Those two are old favourites I've had for decades on K7s.

51C3g5apNaL._SS280.jpg

Mamou Sidibe - Bassemory - Disquekone

A recent album by a lady with a lovely voice.

515fg4B7FFL._SS280.jpg

Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis - Uptown - King (Nuff sed)

41gjmJPnoKL._SS280.jpg

Chris Connor sings the George & Ira Gershwin almanac of song - Atlantic

Bought this in the sixties and flogged it when I was short of a bob or two. Listening to it now. Can NOT understand why I left it so long to get it again.

MG

My first 2015 batch:

Eve Risser / Benjamin Duboc / Edward Perraud - En Corps [2012, Dark Tree]

Rodrigo Amado Motion Trio feat. Jeb Bishop - The Flame Alphabet [2013, Not Two]

RED Trio + Nate Wooley - Stem [2012, Clean Feed]

Daunik Lazro / Joëlle Léandre - Hasparren [2014, NoBusiness]

Riverloam Trio (Olie Brice / Mark Sanders / Mikołaj Trzaska) - Inem Gortn [2014, FMR]

En Corps is a stunning record. The Leandre/Lazro's pretty impressive too. I like the look of the others, nice purchases.

This week (so far....)

Matana Roberts - Coin Coin Chapter 3,River Run Thee

Edward Vesala - Rodina

Amina Claudine Myers - Women in (E)motion, Live in Bremen

Mike Osborne - Dawn

So I picked up three Frode Gjerstad titles from Rays. That was three out of a dozen or more, and that dozen did not include titles I already knew about, including Chuck's offering. So I checked on Gjerstad's website and did some counting. He released 25 CDs from 2010-2014 - five a year - and so far one this year.

It seems everybody is releasing oceans of material but you just might never hear of it or see it. Case in point, I bought a John Butcher/Matthew Shipp CD on the Fataka label. Yes, the Fataka label, which I had never heard of, but which I am told is a popular label. All relative, I suspect. It was their second release, in an edition of 500, played at OTO but not the OTO label. In what sense is it a label? Only just, it seems, but - possibly - very select.

But you know what, I like this world of numerous short-run, not-even-sure-that-is-really-a-label label things that are there and gone at the same time. Often vinyl only. Pick them up at gigs, stumble across them randomly in the racks in an actual store. But order them over the internet? Or download them? What would be the point of that?

Case in point, I bought a John Butcher/Matthew Shipp CD on the Fataka label. Yes, the Fataka label, which I had never heard of, but which I am told is a popular label. All relative, I suspect. It was their second release, in an edition of 500, played at OTO but not the OTO label. In what sense is it a label? Only just, it seems, but - possibly - very select.

I've 3 releases on Fataka and they're all very interesting and exceptionally well recorded.

Ordered the Bud Powell Trio Roost album. Expected back in stock in 2-4 weeks from Amazon Japan, but i'm happy to wait.

While i'm here i may as well fess up to all the Bud i've purchased over the last couple of months:

At Massey Hall (trio)

Strictly Powell

Swingin' With Bud

Time Waits (TABP Vol. 4)

The Scene Changes (TABP Vol. 5)

Portrait of Thelonious

BP in Paris

Inner Fires

Paris Sessions

Birdland 1953 (ESP)

Stitt / Powell / Johnson

Well, i really like it all. I've really enjoyed the post '53 stuff, hearing it more as 'different' rather than 'worse'. Maybe due to the fact that i've heard all of the above in a bit of a shamozzle... maybe as the years go buy it'll start to separate out more in to distinct 'good Bud/bad Bud'. It's already kind of happening, although while i can see some of the later stuff as being objectively not at that mind blowing early level, subjectively i still really enjoy it.