• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bennie Maupin's "MOONSCAPES" from 1978... Pretty awful stuff :P Bennie's blowing, well like Bennie, high in the upper register all the time, over some very commercial sounding beats...

I always wondered how this one sounded ..... nevertheless: If you wanna get rid of it, PM me .....

grossm_stev_someshape_101b.jpg

For one, I like this cover much more than that of the CD reissue.

For one more, this is not audiophile sound, but as raw as the groove these guys hit.

For one more again, this makes me realize how big an influence Don Alias was on my conga playing ..... oh my god ... I miss him .... where's the weeping smiley?

Louis Armstrong - Al Hirt - Dixieland Trumpet - Murray Hill label - 4 record set.

Favourite track - St James Infirmary [but I love this by almost anyone].

There is a don't drink and drive public service commercial which has this, by somebody, playing in the background that I watch, just because of the soundtrack. :cool:

Edited by patricia

th_mobley.jpg

Anyone here collect 10" records?

I only wish I had bought them back in the day . . . . .

I only have 2: a British compilation of Earl Bostic from the mid-fifties and one issued by Ace over here in 1981 by Oscar McLollie and his Honey Jumpers. I used to have a few others but I replaced them with CDs or 12".

MG

th_mobley.jpg

I only have 2: a British compilation of Earl Bostic from the mid-fifties and one issued by Ace over here in 1981 by Oscar McLollie and his Honey Jumpers. I used to have a few others but I replaced them with CDs or 12".

MG

I have sixteen 10" records. Among them are Sidney Bechet's conert in Paris in 1952,

Cugat's Favourite Rhumbas,

Mills Brothers Barber Shop Ballads,

The History Of Jazz- Then Came Swing, which is a compilation which includes tracks on which Benny Carter, Sid Catlett, Nat King Cole, Bumps Myers, Coleman Hawkins, Illinois Jacquet and others are featured,

America's Music - Basin Street Six,

Sarah Vaughan Sings,

Woody Herman's Blue Prelude,

Dixieland Comes To Carnegie Hall,

Woody Herman And His Herd,

Clifford Brown Ensemble with Zoot Sims,

JazzTone Society Spec 100 Jazz Sampler,

Harry James - All Time Favourites,

and Sarah Vaughan - Images.

My main local vinyl source has a good-sized section of 10" LPs, about half and half, classical and jazz.

The 10 inchers I've found are in surprisingly good condition, still in their original covers. Sometimes the covers are a little rough. But, the records were well-cared-for, for the most part.

Edited by patricia

th_mobley.jpg

MG

I have sixteen 10" records. Among them are Sidney Bechet's conert in Paris in 1952,

The History Of Jazz- Then Came Swing, which is a compilation which includes tracks on which Benny Carter, Sid Catlett, Nat King Cole, Bumps Myers, Coleman Hawkins, Illinois Jacquet and others are featured,

Sarah Vaughan Sings,

My main local vinyl source has a good-sized section of 10" LPs, about half and half, classical and jazz.

The 10 inchers I've found are in surprisingly good condition, still in their original covers. Sometimes the covers are a little rough. But, the records were well-cared-for, for the most part.

Nice.

I just had an e-mail from True Blue music, saying that they had a load of stuff on its last legs. Included in the list were a dozen or so 10" LPs - reissues (I guess) of Prestige originals featuring mainly Bebop classics. Not my sort of stuff. $17.98 each - is that a good price?

MG

I just had an e-mail from True Blue music, saying that they had a load of stuff on its last legs. Included in the list were a dozen or so 10" LPs - reissues (I guess) of Prestige originals featuring mainly Bebop classics. Not my sort of stuff. $17.98 each - is that a good price?

MG

That is a good price. $25 at Acoustic Sounds.

The Coltrane Atlantic box is also on sale.

th_mobley.jpg

MG

Sarah Vaughan Sings,

Nice.

MG

Seems a little high to me, but not unreasonable.

But, keep in mind that the price always depends on the demand for the product, as it does for anything else. I usually get mine at my favourite vintage vinyl place and his prices are very reasonable, from $5 to $20 usually. The Clifford Brown was $5, but a vintage Rafael Mendez, which I sent to my best friend was $20. My guy bases his prices on the condition of the record. The Brown had a skip on "Blue Berry Hill" and the Mendez was close to mint.

So, I would say snap up only the records that you actually want to listen to. $5 would be too much to pay, IMO, for even a rare record that you don't think you'll ever play.

So, I would say snap up only the records that you actually want to listen to. $5 would be too much to pay, IMO, for even a rare record that you don't think you'll ever play.

I subscribe that, if only would exist such record, a part Genny G...

Edited by porcy62

th_mobley.jpg

MG

Sarah Vaughan Sings,

Nice.

MG

Seems a little high to me, but not unreasonable.

But, keep in mind that the price always depends on the demand for the product, as it does for anything else. I usually get mine at my favourite vintage vinyl place and his prices are very reasonable, from $5 to $20 usually. The Clifford Brown was $5, but a vintage Rafael Mendez, which I sent to my best friend was $20. My guy bases his prices on the condition of the record. The Brown had a skip on "Blue Berry Hill" and the Mendez was close to mint.

The stuff from True Blue would be new, not vintage. It's not my type of material at all, so I wasn't thinking of buying it. (If there'd been some Ammons or Jacquet, that might have been different.) I just thought that, for a sale, for new records not vintage, the price was high.

MG

I just read that Sonny Simmons has formed a trio and has been playing in New York this month. Would love to see him make a trip to Los Angeles! Anyway, I was spinning this late last night before heading to bed and NO, I did NOT have any nightmares--even after heard Barbara Donald's trumpet at full tilt!

No nightmares? That's because you weren't spinning side 2 of the Smiley Winters on Arhoolie! That's some freaky shit...