What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

John Coltrane/Lee Morgan (Swing/Roulette)

On Side 1 Coltrane leads a group which preceded the classic quartet. It has Tyner, Billy Higgins and Steve Davis and they play three Coltrane compositions, "Exotica", "One and Four" and "Simple Like". Although these tracks are not particularly well known, they are of the highest quality, Coltrane playing with amazing passion and they are my favorite pieces of Coltrane on record. Anybody else a fan for them? Side 2 has a quintet of Morgan, Shorter, Timmons, Jimmy Rowser and Art Taylor.

wow, that's a strong assessment (not knowing how you like other coltrane)... are they available on cd?

• Replies 55.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On Side 1 Coltrane leads a group which preceded the classic quartet. It has Tyner, Billy Higgins and Steve Davis and they play three Coltrane compositions, "Exotica", "One and Four" and "Simple Like". Although these tracks are not particularly well known, they are of the highest quality, Coltrane playing with amazing passion and they are my favorite pieces of Coltrane on record. Anybody else a fan for them? Side 2 has a quintet of Morgan, Shorter, Timmons, Jimmy Rowser and Art Taylor.

wow, that's a strong assessment (not knowing how you like other coltrane)... are they available on cd?

I don't know if they're available on CD. I'm sure someone will be able to tell us. As to my liking for/familiarity with Coltrane, I have 10 LPs and 3CDs and - yes - those three tracks are the ones I'd grab if the house started burning! I have a musician friend who knows his Coltrane well and he's of the same opinion.

Edited by BillF

I don't know if they're available on CD. I'm sure someone will be able to tell us. As to my liking for/familiarity with Coltrane, I have 10 LPs and 3CDs and - yes - those three tracks are the ones I'd grab if the house started burning! I have a musician friend who knows his Coltrane well and he's of the same opinion.

:) i'll be on the lookout...

The Hi-Los - Love Nest - Columbia 6 eye mono.

Arrangements by Frank Comstock.

This is an INCREDIBLY beautiful album - all ballads, and nowhere near as hyper as most of their records from this period. One track has double-tracked vocals, and as such is a precursor to the Singers Unlimited and Beach Boys.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Is it the equivalent of the "Like Sonny" CD on Roulette ?

Well, I don't know, but "Simple Like" from the Roulette disc has the same melody as "Like Sonny" from Coltrane Jazz, although, of course, these are different recording sessions with different personnel.

Well, I don't know, but "Simple Like" from the Roulette disc has the same melody as "Like Sonny" from Coltrane Jazz, although, of course, these are different recording sessions with different personnel.

The three cuts from the Roulette LP, along with an alternate take of "Exotica", are on the Like Sonny CD. That CD is filled out by a Wilbur Harden LP originally issued on Jubilee. Don't know if the Morgans have ever made it to CD.

The three cuts from the Roulette LP, along with an alternate take of "Exotica", are on the Like Sonny CD. That CD is filled out by a Wilbur Harden LP originally issued on Jubilee. Don't know if the Morgans have ever made it to CD.

Thanks for the information, Paul.

Thanks for the information, Paul.

Yes ! after reading all those comments i just ordered it from amazon. Thank you for sharing this treasure with us ! i've never heard this one and i' can't wait to get it !

2334278349_f44212cc0e.jpg

italian library fodder, .dreadful, faux-NOLA-trad stuff on the second side, some lovely modal stuff on the upside.

2334277773_3af4ef1bd7.jpg

another italian library jazz thing, some lovely piano led stuff on this as well

but right now, it's this...

2367193778_63201b59e6.jpg

AFAIK, this is the UK pressing of "lady fat bottom's waltz". cheaper, thicker vinyl, and ain't nothin in this world right now that is beating the super-heavy version of "turk's bolero" to be found herein.

2334278349_f44212cc0e.jpg

italian library fodder, .dreadful, faux-NOLA-trad stuff on the second side, some lovely modal stuff on the upside.

2334277773_3af4ef1bd7.jpg

another italian library jazz thing, some lovely piano led stuff on this as well

but right now, it's this...

2367193778_63201b59e6.jpg

AFAIK, this is the UK pressing of "lady fat bottom's waltz". cheaper, thicker vinyl, and ain't nothin in this world right now that is beating the super-heavy version of "turk's bolero" to be found herein.

I like the cover drawing on the New and Old Jazz Sounds LP.