Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oscar Peterson--Blues Etude (Limelight)

I just unloaded a sealed copy of this. What did I miss?

You know, I'm not really a big fan of Oscar Peterson--but this was my first listen to this recently acquired record, and I really enjoyed it. I would say this is the most pleasing Oscar Peterson trio recording that I've heard. Louis Hayes is on both sides, Sam Jones is on side 1, and Ray Brown on side 2. Also, the sound (an original pressing, I think) was quite nice. All in all, I liked this far more than I expected.

Lightnin' Hopkins: Lightnin' (Tomato) - 1969 recordings recorded by Arhoolie's Chris Strachwitz and leased to the Poppy and later to the Tomato labels. The best of these are some great duets between Lightnin' and Frances Clay, from the Muddy Waters band.

Edited by paul secor

You know, I'm not really a big fan of Oscar Peterson--but this was my first listen to this recently acquired record, and I really enjoyed it. I would say this is the most pleasing Oscar Peterson trio recording that I've heard. Louis Hayes is on both sides, Sam Jones is on side 1, and Ray Brown on side 2. Also, the sound (an original pressing, I think) was quite nice. All in all, I liked this far more than I expected.

Thanks. I'm not a huge fan either, though I must have 12 or 15 of his LPs. One I've really come to like is the Verve album with Milt Jackson where they do "Green Dolphin Street."

Thanks. I'm not a huge fan either, though I must have 12 or 15 of his LPs. One I've really come to like is the Verve album with Milt Jackson where they do "Green Dolphin Street."

Yes, I like that one also--usually I require at least one other strong soloist like Milt Jackson before I'll spring for an Oscar Peterson recording.

Last night, I spun the new Cisco LP of Herbie Hancock's "Takin' Off". I have to say, given that Cisco Music went out of business and these platters should start drying up, you owe it to yourself to get a copy of this. Incredibly good-sounding LP. They claim they allowed the full spread stereo to come through. It sounds "different" because of it. The horns are more isolated and you hear the horns distinctly.