• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

236016.jpg

Louis Bellson - Thunderbird

After literally decades of asking, well, gee what did the original version of "Little Pixie" sound like, and after just as many decades of looking at this record and deciding I'd wait until next time to find out, next time has finally come.

And wow, who knew? Not me!

Now, next question - is there any album cover, any photo, period, of Louis Bellson play drums where his mouth is not open?

Freddie_Hubbard_Sweet_Return.jpg

Freddie Hubbard - Sweet Return

People play differently after they get used to playing for larger audiences. On the one hand, that's a drag, maybe, but on the other hand, why shouldn't they? Is intimacy a virtue in and of itself, always?

Let's put it this way - this record sounds like the headliner's set at an once-upon-a-time outdoor summer jazz festival. Nothing too intricate, nothing too subtle, pretty broad strokes, but nobody's "playing down" either. Clean money, all things considered.

lawson_yank_oledixie~_101b.jpg

w/Pee Wee Russell & Bob Haggart & yes, Chico Hamilton. Among others.

Kind of a "trad" version of The Further Adventures Of El Chico. Kind of. You'd need to ask Bob Thiele about that.

Any one cut would be good/interesting/fun. There's eleven cuts, though. You'd need to ask Bob Thiele about that, too.

R-2934621-1308010953.jpeg

Buddy Tate - Bob Wilber - Sam Jones - Leroy Williams ‎– Sherman Shuffle

Incongruity, thy name is Sherman Shuffle!

My jury's still out on Bob Wilber, and probably will be forever...I remain wholly respectful but not totally convinced, moved but not touched, admiring but not advocative, et but not cetera...and so forth.

Aside from that, though, a very nice record, especially in terms of the rhythm section, especially in its pianoless quality.