• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

don-elliott-music-for-the-sensational-si

A bit of bachelor-pad weirdness before bed:

Don Elliott - Music for the Sensational Sixties (Design). Teasing the Korean, do you know this album? It's right up your alley. Don Elliott plays trumpet, mellophone, vibes, and bongos; he sings, and the cover is fabulous. Hal McKusick and Milt Hinton are among the sidemen.

Edited by jeffcrom

Dave Brubeck - Distinctive Rhythm Instrumentals (Fantasy). 10" red vinyl from record store day. Tons of tape warble on the first two tracks. I don't get why so many were raving about the sound of this on the Hoffman forum. To my ears, it sounds like the tapes are pretty beat up. Did an original sound this bad?

fantasy24726.jpg

706642.jpg

East West label

A very big thanks to Jeffcrom and Clifford T for their enthusiasm about this recording a week or so ago. It sent me off on a hunt that came to fruition with postie's delivery today. What a beautiful album - thanks Gents :tup

Now all I need to know is what do the Japanese sleevenotes mean? And what other recordings by this or similar line-ups exist?

706642.jpg

East West label

A very big thanks to Jeffcrom and Clifford T for their enthusiasm about this recording a week or so ago. It sent me off on a hunt that came to fruition with postie's delivery today. What a beautiful album - thanks Gents :tup

Now all I need to know is what do the Japanese sleevenotes mean? And what other recordings by this or similar line-ups exist?

I have the American Inner City version - no liner notes, so I can't help there.

Togashi recorded a lot, but it was never easy to find his stuff in the U.S., and it has now become almost impossible. For us 'Mericans, it's usually pretty easy to find Breath, a collaboration with shakuhachi player Hozan Yamamoto and pianist Yosuke Yamashita. It's maybe more of a Hozan Yamamoto album than a Togashi one, though. Anyway, someone is selling it cheaply on Amazon right now.

I checked on Amazon UK and see that there are a few Togashi albums available there, including the wonderful Spiritual Moments, with Steve Lacy and Kent Carter. To simplify things, I'll say that it sounds like a cross between the Togashi album you have and a Steve Lacy trio album.

If you can find the two-disc Bura-Bura, grab it. (There's also a one-disc version.) It's an all-star quartet: Togashi, Lacy, Don Cherry, and Dave Holland. Severe stereo separation of the horns, but incredible music. Again, it's always been difficult to track down.

For those who don't know about Togashi - he was a pioneer of Japanese free jazz, and a frequent Steve Lacy collaborator. In 1970 he was paralyzed from the waist down in an accident, and thereafter played from a wheelchair. He obviously couldn't use kick drum or hi-hat after that, but he played a large percussion kit that enabled him to produce a very wide range of sound. He played with great sensitivity, and sounds good in any context I've heard.

Edited by jeffcrom

Yamamoto_Breath_front.jpg

Sorry to intrude on this thread with a CD, but to add to my comments about Masahiko Togashi above:

I'm listening to Breath right now, and it's excellent. I remember some sense of vague dissatisfaction the last time I spun it, but it must have been my mood at the time; I'm enjoying it thoroughly tonight. The feel/atmosphere is very similar to Spiritual Nature, although of course with an instrumentation of just flute/piano/percussion.

Hozan Yamamoto, by the way, was the shakuhachi player on Tony Scott's Music for Zen Meditation album.

Thanks Jeff. I'll head off on another search now

706642.jpg

East West label

I have the American Inner City version - no liner notes, so I can't help there.

Togashi recorded a lot, but it was never easy to find his stuff in the U.S., and it has now become almost impossible. For us 'Mericans, it's usually pretty easy to find Breath, a collaboration with shakuhachi player Hozan Yamamoto and pianist Yosuke Yamashita. It's maybe more of a Hozan Yamamoto album than a Togashi one, though. Anyway, someone is selling it cheaply on Amazon right now.

I checked on Amazon UK and see that there are a few Togashi albums available there, including the wonderful Spiritual Moments, with Steve Lacy and Kent Carter. To simplify things, I'll say that it sounds like a cross between the Togashi album you have and a Steve Lacy trio album.

If you can find the two-disc Bura-Bura, grab it. (There's also a one-disc version.) It's an all-star quartet: Togashi, Lacy, Don Cherry, and Dave Holland. Severe stereo separation of the horns, but incredible music. Again, it's always been difficult to track down.

For those who don't know about Togashi - he was a pioneer of Japanese free jazz, and a frequent Steve Lacy collaborator. In 1970 he was paralyzed from the waist down in an accident, and thereafter played from a wheelchair. He obviously couldn't use kick drum or hi-hat after that, but he played a large percussion kit that enabled him to produce a very wide range of sound. He played with great sensitivity, and sounds good in any context I've heard.