• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brubeck just finished so now it's Johnny Coles - Little Johnny C (Blue Note). Black Liberty label with Van Gelder in the deadwax. Scotch taped seams that look like heck but for $4, I can't complain.

coles_johnn_littlejoh_101b.jpg

this is just such a gem of an album. Loved the CD when it came out and more recently the Music Matters 45rpm edition.

3.jpg

Curtis Amy - The Sounds of Broadway/The Sounds of Hollywood (Palomar mono). There's a whole thread here about how this 1969 album is not as good as Amy's other albums. And it's not, despite the presence of Horace Tapscott and arrangements by Onzy Matthews. But it is what it is, and I like what it is, and I don't mind what it's not.

71VADAQjyQL._SY300_.jpg

Gary Burton & Keith Jarrett (Atlantic). I get the impression that I'm one of the three people in the jazz community who like this album.

Either there's just one more besides us or else there's four...

Don't like it as much as I used to, but still, it was a "hit" back in its day (at least where I was) and not without some reason. Maybe its one of those "you had to be there" things, with the "there" being a certain kind of still-impressionable mindset, but hey, that's where I was, so...

Also, a look-back at what Atlantic was up to, what with Burton coming to the label from RCA, & Jarrett already there via Charles Lloyd/Vortex/The Label Itself. This was actually considered "jazz rock", and it appealed as such. What a difference 40 years makes, eh?

Grow Your Own, What was that supposed to mean?

71VADAQjyQL._SY300_.jpg

Gary Burton & Keith Jarrett (Atlantic). I get the impression that I'm one of the three people in the jazz community who like this album.

Others have joined you, but were Gary and Keith the other two you originally thought of?

Well, their moms probably liked it.

I like it.

Right now

f.jpg