Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

0023e61d_medium.jpeg

Freddie Roulette - Sweet Funky Steel (Janus)

I remember seeing that one listed way back in the day, but never actually saw a copy. I have several 45s and LPs where Freddie Roulette is effective as a sideman. How does he do having to carry an album as a leader?

Well, I suspect that producer Harvey Mandel (and maybe Tower of Power bassist and sports doper Victor Conte) had more to do with the direction of the album than Roulette. It's not a masterpiece, but I like it, partly because it's kind of oddball - an album of instrumental R & B featuring lap steel guitar. Sugarcane Harris is on violin on a couple of cuts. It's certainly not the kind of thing that's going to appeal to everyone, but it certainly appeals to me.

dave-holland-quintet-jumpin-in_1.jpgwblp3844.jpg

Dave Holland Quintet - Jumpin' In (ECM). I bought this when it came out in 1984. I hadn't spun it in quite awhile and had forgotten how strong it is.

The Star Lite Singers - Footprint of Jesus (Hue). This incredibly obscure album by a Lexington, Mississippi gospel sextet might be my favorite gospel record of all time. It was Rev. Charles Pitchford's group, and the guitar (and bass, I think) is played by his brother, the great, ill-fated Lonnie Pitchford, one of my favorite latter-day Mississippi bluesmen. The vocals are deep, and Lonnie's accompaniment adds a further level of bluesy wonderful-ness. I bought a copy in Clarksdale 20 years ago; I imagine that it's pretty much impossible to find now.

I don't often add to my blog these days, and don't often plug it, but I like my Lonnie Pitchford entry.

Michel Chion - Requiem - (INA/GRM)

An incredible album! One of my favorites on that label along with the two Jacques LeJeune titles.

For some reason I'm in a prog mood tonight...

Brainticket "celestial ocean" (Germany, RCA)

Ash Ra Tempel "schwingunen" (Germany, ohr)

Cluster "71" (Germany, Philips)

And right now for a change of pace:

Loren Mazzacane/Kath Bloom "sing the children over" (USA, ambiguous)

dave-holland-quintet-jumpin-in_1.jpg

Dave Holland Quintet - Jumpin' In (ECM). I bought this when it came out in 1984. I hadn't spun it in quite awhile and had forgotten how strong it is.

I agree, saw this band live back then. Great album, some his later recordings never quite matched this one.

51sP6Gc8nzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I love it when the math cedes foreground to the music, rather than the other way around, I don't care what kind kind of music it is. My mind tires to tell me about all the math that I think I want to hear, but no sooner than that happens than my (hopefully) higher instinct takes over and tells it to shut up about that, and just feel all this wonderfullment, and if/when it comes time to deal with the math, really deal with it, hey, go get a score, or even better, take it off by ear. That's what scores (and ears) are for.

But until then, hey.

Geez, what a great set of music this is.

2775780.jpg

The dildo-with-a-love-child-of-Ernie-Kovas-and-Triumph-The-Insult-Dog-for-a-head that dominates the cover photo should have tipped me off that this was not gonna be very good, but you know me, I like a good party record as much as the next guy, right?

But...this is not very good, period. Red Seal?

One+for+Hell+Red+Seal.jpg

Just finished: Stanley Turrentine - ZT's Blues (Blue Note). DMM pressing - not my preferred vinyl technology but I believe that this is the only US pressing.

post-21-1262594087.jpg

Now playing: Coleman Hawkins - The Hawk Swings (United Records And Tapes). I have no idea of the provenance of this date. I don't know if it's Crown CST 206 date with Thad Jones because there are no liner notes. It's not a "hi-fi" pressing, that's for sure. Were these United releases even legal?

COLEMAN-HAWKINS_THE-HAWK-SWINGS_UNITED_1

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

Now playing: Coleman Hawkins - The Hawk Swings (United Records And Tapes). I have no idea of the provenance of this date. I don't know if it's Crown CST 206 date with Thad Jones because there are no liner notes. It's not a "hi-fi" pressing, that's for sure. Were these United releases even legal?

Same record, same company. United was a Bihari brothers label, same as Crown.