What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

The Songs of Alec Wilder (JJA). A non-commercial promotional LP with a plain white sleeve, designed to demonstrate Wilder's songs. The performances, and the songs themselves, vary in quality - "Love All the Quiet Flower People" doesn't exactly rank with Mr. Wilder's best work, for example. But some of his best songs are here: "I'll Be Around," "The Winter of My Discontent," "Who Can I Turn To?," as well several good songs I haven't found anywhere else. Johnny Hartman is fabulous (of course) on "Gonna Be a Cold, Cold Day," Woody Herman contributes a wry "Baggage Room Blues," and I really like Mark Murphy's two songs, "Walkin' Sad" and especially "When Yesterday I Loved You." (Sorry, Larry.) I found this on Ebay about a decade ago, and it really increased my understanding of Wilder's music.

And you know what - "Love All the Quiet Flower People" has an excellent, unusual melody and interesting changes. If only the lyrics weren't so painful....

Any idea who released this, and to who?

No, and my Alec Wilder reference books are no help. David Dempsey and Ronald Prather, the authors of Alec Wilder: A Bio-Bibliography, seem to have only a little, and incomplete, knowledge of this album, and it's not mentioned in Desmond Stone's biography, as far as I can tell. When I got the album, I assumed that JJA was one of Wilder's publishers, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I have figured out that most of these recordings came from Wilder's NPR radio series American Popular Song, which ran from 1976 to 1980. But who, and to whom, I'm not sure. I'm glad to have it, though.

• Replies 55.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

r7608.jpg

Eddie Shaw - King of the Road (Rooster Blues). A never-reissued collection by the Chicago-by-way-of Mississippi blues saxophonist and singer, with tracks from 1966 to 1984. "It ain't no fun when the rabbit's got the gun."

And, it's a picture of an alto when Shaw (usuall, always?) played tenor...

My main problem with this cover design is that's it's, well, awful. I will say in its defense that it sounds like Shaw is playing alto on a couple of tracks here.

Now playing:

170858399289.jpg

Tom Stewart - Sextette/Quintette (ABC Paramount). A young Steve Lacy is the standout musician here - but of course I would think that. This is Mr. Lacy's third appearance on records - only the two Dick Sutton albums were earlier.

r893.jpg

Mickey Katz Plays Music for Weddings, Bar Mitzvahs, and Brisses (Capitol mono). There are plenty of klezmer clarinetists I like more than Katz, but this has got to be his best album - very little of his usual jokey, silly approach shows up here; this is solid klezmer, for the most part. The silliness shows up mostly in the cover, which I kind of like.

Edit: I should have added that no less than Ziggy Elman and Mannie Klein are the trumpeters on this album.

Edited by jeffcrom

cover_2559223112009.jpg

Don Ellis - Shock Treatment (Columbia two-eye). Probably opening myself up to some scorn here, and it's not my usual fare, if I have usual fare. But I became interested in this album after reading Max Harrison's praise of it. It kind of reeks of 1968, but that doesn't really bother me; I mostly like it, and some of it I like a lot.

cover_2559223112009.jpg

Don Ellis - Shock Treatment (Columbia two-eye). Probably opening myself up to some scorn here, and it's not my usual fare, if I have usual fare. But I became interested in this album after reading Max Harrison's praise of it. It kind of reeks of 1968, but that doesn't really bother me; I mostly like it, and some of it I like a lot.

I seem to recall that album had an interesting discographical history, with a few different songs replacing others on subsequent pressings. Had the CD for a while, which had a nice version of "I Remember Clifford."

cover_2559223112009.jpg

I seem to recall that album had an interesting discographical history, with a few different songs replacing others on subsequent pressings. Had the CD for a while, which had a nice version of "I Remember Clifford."

Yes, I found out about that when I Googled the album. Ellis selected the tunes, edited the album, and sent the tapes to New York. When it came out, he discovered that Columbia had re-edited some tracks and replaced others. When he complained, the company agreed to a second pressing more in line with his wishes. I have the first pressing, according to the track lineup.

Well hell, I had no idea about the history of that album, nor that the Koch CD "made it whole again", so that's another reed you guys can't borrow thanks to 1-click.

See, this is one of those records that I just like. It's not like a Charlie Parker (or Steve Lacy or Louis Armstrong) session. I don't have to have it "complete." I just like it.

But now.... Strozier's on Autumn? Didn't know that. Now I have to get that one. Thanks, Sangrey.

"Haven't got a reed? McVouty's got a reed...."

Don Ellis is one of those guys who I'll listen to as much of it as possible (when I'm in the mood for it), not because it's always "good" (because a lot of times it's not, not even), but it's always real, one way or the other. And when it is good, it's damn good!

And if you're into Strozier doing West Coast Big Band Bird Tributes, then you also gotta get this one (if you don't already have it):

Oliver+Nelson.JPG

Very nice feature fr him on "I Remember Bird", and hell...it's just a fine album in general. Not "great", but definitely fine, if you know what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMfTPzCHSP8

Frank Strozier and Mel Brown featured on the same gig. And Ed Thigpen driving the bus. And Bobby Bryant loud and proud all over the place.

Might not have been a perfect world, but it was a damn fine imperfect one. People made that world go 'round. Nowadays it's just gravity and shit.