• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, you will want the mono copy for "The Sky Fell Down".

Perhaps you will want it, that is. I know I did. There's other ways to get it (most favorably on The World Of Duke Ellington, Vol. 3) but that's such a gret cut and such a great record, why not make the liner notes keep their word?

Anthony Braxton - Seven Standards 1985, Volume 1 (Magenta). Promo copy. I saw this record and said to myself, "Hank Jones, Rufus Reid & Victor Lewis in the rhythm section? Produced by Michael Cuscuna & recorded by Malcolm Addey? How have I not heard this before"? The answer is easy - It's because I don't have any Braxton in my CD collection. :) This is a really nice record. I'm glad I finally got some Braxton in my LP collection.

90230.jpg

I like these ones. I, for one, have never seen one that wasn't a promo.

The Songs of Alec Wilder (JJA). A non-commercial promotional LP with a plain white sleeve, designed to demonstrate Wilder's songs. The performances, and the songs themselves, vary in quality - "Love All the Quiet Flower People" doesn't exactly rank with Mr. Wilder's best work, for example. But some of his best songs are here: "I'll Be Around," "The Winter of My Discontent," "Who Can I Turn To?," as well several good songs I haven't found anywhere else. Johnny Hartman is fabulous (of course) on "Gonna Be a Cold, Cold Day," Woody Herman contributes a wry "Baggage Room Blues," and I really like Mark Murphy's two songs, "Walkin' Sad" and especially "When Yesterday I Loved You." (Sorry, Larry.) I found this on Ebay about a decade ago, and it really increased my understanding of Wilder's music.

And you know what - "Love All the Quiet Flower People" has an excellent, unusual melody and interesting changes. If only the lyrics weren't so painful....

Jackson_Willis.jpg

My today arrival.

YAY!!!!!

Hope you like it.

MG

So what on earth's that one anyway? I don't have eyes like a hawk and never saw the sleeve, so I'm clueless ...

I asked that same question yesterday. No response.

Sorry I missed it.

And yes, I like it, fine pub music!!!

Edited by tomatamot

hamiet-bluiett-bars-with-marcello-melis-

Hamiett Bluiett, Marcello Melis and Don Moye, Bars (Musica). Melis wrote all the tunes.

I've often wondered about that one. How does it stack up against other Bluietts?

Fine but not earth-shattering.

I agree. It's more of a Melis and Moye show, than a Bluiett date. A bit eccentric at times, but interesting enough not to add to the for sale pile.

Thanks guys. the copy I'd been looking at has been sold anyway. No major loss by the sounds of it

I've been spinning a few records since dinnertime. The first one sounds like a bootleg, even though it's a legit Prestige release:

Gene Ammons and James Moody - Chicago Concert

ammons_gene_chicagoco_101b.jpg

Next up was a Japanese pressing of Lester Young with Harry Edison - Pres And Sweets (Verve)

Lester+Young+-+Pres+%26+Sweets+-+LP+RECO

And now playing: McCoy Tyner - Extensions (Blue Note). A nice Van Gelder 1st pressing that I picked up for $4 down in CT last week.

ba53fe44706606bfd2069baf59e24436_full.jp

Mal Waldron "trio" (karim, Italy reissue)

Did not know there was a second pressing of this. The original has been on my list for years...

Yeah its been the missing piece in my Mal Waldron collection as well; some Italian label just recently did it...not cheap(around $35-40) but a real quality job...I don't mind reissues when they are done well..certainly cheaper then an original pressing!!

Tonight's spin:

Arild Andersen "Lifelines" (germany, ECM)

The Songs of Alec Wilder (JJA). A non-commercial promotional LP with a plain white sleeve, designed to demonstrate Wilder's songs. The performances, and the songs themselves, vary in quality - "Love All the Quiet Flower People" doesn't exactly rank with Mr. Wilder's best work, for example. But some of his best songs are here: "I'll Be Around," "The Winter of My Discontent," "Who Can I Turn To?," as well several good songs I haven't found anywhere else. Johnny Hartman is fabulous (of course) on "Gonna Be a Cold, Cold Day," Woody Herman contributes a wry "Baggage Room Blues," and I really like Mark Murphy's two songs, "Walkin' Sad" and especially "When Yesterday I Loved You." (Sorry, Larry.) I found this on Ebay about a decade ago, and it really increased my understanding of Wilder's music.

And you know what - "Love All the Quiet Flower People" has an excellent, unusual melody and interesting changes. If only the lyrics weren't so painful....

Any idea who released this, and to who?