• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

140075219375.jpg

Andrew Hill: Dance With Death (BN/King)

Did a lot of King LPs have alternative cover art? This album was first released in the BNLT series, right?

Some did, vis a vis their much later RVG or Conn CD counterparts, or obviously the LT Series. Others that come to mind are Sonic Boom and A Slice of the Top. Some of these were retained, like The Soothsayer. One more dramatic example of King vs. Blue Note US is Lou Donaldson's Lush Life. The King cover is below:

$(KGrHqN,!p8FBn!yhPuQBQkPb+nDNg~~60_35.J

140075219375.jpg

Andrew Hill: Dance With Death (BN/King)

Did a lot of King LPs have alternative cover art? This album was first released in the BNLT series, right?

Some did, vis a vis their much later RVG or Conn CD counterparts, or obviously the LT Series. Others that come to mind are Sonic Boom and A Slice of the Top. Some of these were retained, like The Soothsayer. One more dramatic example of King vs. Blue Note US is Lou Donaldson's Lush Life. The King cover is below:

$(KGrHqN,!p8FBn!yhPuQBQkPb+nDNg~~60_35.J

Here's another:

dexter_gordon_clubhouse.jpg

King records.

220px-Dexter_Gordon_-_ClubhouseLP.jpg

LT series

220px-Clubhouse_%28album%29.jpg

RVG re-issue.

King went down the same road stylistically for Jackie Mac...

220px-Tippin%27_the_Scales_mclean.jpeg

Tippin' The Scales King Japan

Tippin%27_the_Scales.jpg

BN cd re-issue. (Yuk!)

Edited by Imeanyou

improvisations.jpg?w=584

IMG_6042-500x375.jpg

IMPROVISATIONS - Globe Unity - JAPO LP-- England meets Germany in free jazz summit.

score draw with Germany winning on penalties....gratuitous Football reference, apologies but the World Cup looms (as does another England competition of despair)

Edited by mjazzg

improvisations.jpg?w=584

IMG_6042-500x375.jpg

IMPROVISATIONS - Globe Unity - JAPO LP-- England meets Germany in free jazz summit.

score draw with Germany winning on penalties....gratuitous Football reference, apologies but the World Cup looms (as does another England competition of despair)

In an ideal world, (where jazz records and balti curries would be available for free on the National Health), England play Germany in every World Cup final, get played off the park but hold on for extra time and then win it on penalties. Alas, the 'plane of shame' seems to be our destiny.

I'd like to see sides made up of free jazzers. That would be amusing! I suspect a good many wouldn't make it down the pitch.

145520.jpg

OPENED, BUT HARDLY TOUCHED - Brotzmann, Harry Miller, Louis Moholo. Cien Fuegos 2LP. Strong enough to blast everyone off the pitch.

I'd like to see sides made up of free jazzers. That would be amusing! I suspect a good many wouldn't make it down the pitch.

145520.jpg

OPENED, BUT HARDLY TOUCHED - Brotzmann, Harry Miller, Louis Moholo. Cien Fuegos 2LP. Strong enough to blast everyone off the pitch.

How is the sound on those Cien Fuegos releases?

145520.jpg

How is the sound on those Cien Fuegos releases?

They've generally been pretty good, and I think this one is especially good, plus the vinyl is quiet. There is one problem, at least on my set: the run off grooves are not very effective and the needle can run out of the groove into the label. First time I've seen that.

Haven't listened to that in at least ten years. I guess the title befits my copy.

Haha...I could say the same thing, but I have a lot of records that fit that description. Not for lack of quality that is but just harder and harder to find time to listen to things with a growing family.

I do remember enjoying this 2LP though..

Better than finding things in your collection that are still sealed...

$T2eC16hHJHMFH!0UWCUrBSG946USPg~~60_35.J

Should've been a surprise bonus disc included in the 'Herman/Phillips Mosaic, because once you hear the Phillips albums and get past the charts and woody's schtick and all the "big-bandy ness of it all, this is what you have left over, and none of it is a minus, oh no in fact it's a plus, it's the life of the party. This is the drive train of that band, these guys right-here.

R-2552545-1290103962.jpeg

Marc Levin Ensemble, Songs Dances And Prayers. Band includes Calo Scott and Billy Hart, plus Khalil Balakrishna on sitar.

I'd love to hear that and even better get my hands on a copy. Been waiting a while for one to turn up that's in half decent condition

I'll make do with ......Pierre Favre Quartett [Wergo]

Edited by mjazzg