• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now:

Ny05MjgxLmpwZWc.jpeg

Jarrett's American Quartet at the top of their game.  My LP is a 1980s MCA reissue.

Earlier this morning:

NC00MDkwLmpwZWc.jpeg

I LOVE Quincy's arrangement of Paul Simon's "Bridge Over Troubled Water."  Quincy makes the song's roots in the black church much more clear compared to S&G's version.  Those choir-like trombone voicings!  Yowza!  And amazing singing by Valerie Simpson. . . . I think this LP is right up there with Quincy's very best records.  And, incidentally, the AQ of the vinyl is superb -- just like the music.

10 minutes ago, JSngry said:

She's a gem! Have you checked out her solo albums, or Ashford & Simpson? 

Not really.  I know A&S wrote "California Soul" -- because Gerald Wilson's version of it is a favorite of mine.  And I know the hit "Solid" from the 80s.  That's about it.

What would you recommend as a starting point?

On 11/26/2023 at 10:04 AM, Clunky said:

Interesting I haven't heard Tristano in Masayuki's sound ...only the that of an angle grinder.  Kidding aside his music on "Tread on sure Ground" is very fine. Cinedelic Italy have reissued this on vinyl (Juno, Soundohm etc). Pressing is excellent IMO and way way better than I was expecting. Cool JoJo sounds positively mainstream from the clips I've heard by comparison. 

yeah, it depends on the band/concept. He had very discrete approaches within his musical universe, discarding what was no longer useful. Jeff Parker seems to me to have distilled the Bauer/Tristano approach and the drone music Takayanagi was making on Action Direct into a pretty unique sound, especially as a solo player. I can't think of too many other artists who've picked up on Takayanagi's worlds so clearly and taken them into another direction.

And yeah, Independence: Tread on Sure Ground is a great record. I have the 1980s Union pressing which used to be fairly cheap... not sure whether Cinedelic is legit but at least if it sounds good that's something. I know Jeff has an original 1970 pressing of that record, which is very tough to come by.

24 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Not really.  I know A&S wrote "California Soul" -- because Gerald Wilson's version of it is a favorite of mine.  And I know the hit "Solid" from the 80s.  That's about it.

What would you recommend as a starting point?

They wrote a lot of hits!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_written_by_Ashford_%26_Simpson

Try starting with Valerie's two solo spots; they are both very good 

OC0xMTA1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Any good Best Of will get you a representative Ashford & Simpson start. From there, explore at your own pace. 

3 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Listened to this one lately. The 1956 Kenton Orchestra was a rather incredible collection of talent, never to be quite matched by any subsequent Kenton Orchestra.  

Live Rosengarten Mannheim 23 April 1956 by Stan Kenton & His Orchestra (2011-02-15)

Yep! One of several concerts in Germany. Have it taped from the radio

Others are

Live at Ernst Merck Halle, Hamburg   1956/04       Sound of Yesteryear

Kenton in Stockholm       1956  Swedish Radio Years

More interesting are the recordings from his first European Tour 1953 including 

Concert in Wiesbaden     1953  Astral Jazz

Artistry in Paris    1953  Jasmine (2)

live in Munich 1953-Deutsches Museum        1953  Sounds of Yesteryear

and on tape / cassette:

Kenton,Stan RB Rias        1953/08/27 CD-R           Berlin,Sportpal      USA          Holman/Schildkraut/Childers

Kenton,Stan RB Rias        1953/08/28 7"(2)           Berlin USA          Christy,June

Edited by jazzcorner
more text

Now spinning:

81J3+p0bfQL._UF600,600_QL80_.jpg

Willie Humphrey - New Orleans Clarinet (Smoky Mary)

Joseph Butler's singing is featured on three of this album's cuts, and it always makes me laugh.  Naturally, Armstrong is a huge influence, but -- believe it or not -- Butler's phrasing mostly reminds me of comedian Tracy Morgan.

tracy-morgan.png

For example:

Hear what I'm talkin' about? 

Sorta related: A few years ago, there was talk of Tracy Morgan starring in a Louis Armstrong biopic.  Here's an article about it from 2021.  Anyone know if anything came of it?

Edited by HutchFan

2 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Yep! One of several concerts in Germany. Have it taped from the radio

Others are

Live at Ernst Merck Halle, Hamburg   1956/04       Sound of Yesteryear

Kenton in Stockholm       1956  Swedish Radio Years

More interesting are the recordings from his first European Tour 1953 including 

Concert in Wiesbaden     1953  Astral Jazz

Artistry in Paris    1953  Jasmine (2)

live in Munich 1953-Deutsches Museum        1953  Sounds of Yesteryear

and on tape / cassette:

Kenton,Stan RB Rias        1953/08/27 CD-R           Berlin,Sportpal      USA          Holman/Schildkraut/Childers

Kenton,Stan RB Rias        1953/08/28 7"(2)           Berlin USA          Christy,June

Agreed that the '53 Band may have been even a better collection of talent, but by '56 the band had an even greater wealth of Holman charts, which are tough to beat. Anyway, I greatly enjoy both bands.  

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Probably this group's best outing ....

Is this the one that has Don Pullen´s Double Arc Jake on it ? I´m not sure which is which, I have heard them live in 1980 at TU and have some of their albums, one is that of that black dressed misterious lady on the cover, the other might be Earthbeams, and I´m sure on one of them is that Don Pullen tune, one of my favourites. I think on some of them there is also a Danny Richmond composition that sounds like some Carribian Islands holiday music, really a beautiful thing...., they are so strong and Danny Richmond is among my very favourite drummers. He had an increasingly strong role in the later 70´s Mingus bands. One of his trademarks was that china cymbal, oh I love every aspect of his drumming. 

17 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Is this the one that has Don Pullen´s Double Arc Jake on it ? I´m not sure which is which, I have heard them live in 1980 at TU and have some of their albums, one is that of that black dressed misterious lady on the cover, the other might be Earthbeams, and I´m sure on one of them is that Don Pullen tune, one of my favourites. I think on some of them there is also a Danny Richmond composition that sounds like some Carribian Islands holiday music, really a beautiful thing...., they are so strong and Danny Richmond is among my very favourite drummers. He had an increasingly strong role in the later 70´s Mingus bands. One of his trademarks was that china cymbal, oh I love every aspect of his drumming. 

No, "Double Arc Jake" is on "Don't Loose Control" (Soul Note) .... at TU - ich was there too 😇 - they were mainly playing material from their Soul Note releases ....

3 hours ago, soulpope said:

No, "Double Arc Jake" is on "Don't Loose Control" (Soul Note) .... at TU - ich was there too 😇 - they were mainly playing material from their Soul Note releases ....

As much as I remember, they played some Mingus stuff also on that gig, since it was shortly after Mingus´death. 

But I think I have that Earth Beams also. Maybe on that is that Dannie Richmond composition...... 
I´m  not a good collector, just pickin´ up some here and some there......, nowadays I purchase more stuff from the musicians I play with, them their albums and it´s good stuff.