Jump to content

What vinyl are you spinning right now??


wolff

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 55.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • sidewinder

    5292

  • paul secor

    4123

  • clifford_thornton

    3872

  • jeffcrom

    2810

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, bresna said:

Stan Getz - Voyage (Blackhawk). I have enjoyed nearly every Blackhawk LP/CD I've heard. Too bad Herb Wong couldn't keep this label or his Palo Alto label going very long. I guess the 80's were just a shitty time to be making jazz records... well, an even shittier time than other decades. :)

image.jpeg.e9f3bb1aea597fdb7be9a30e46859750.jpeg

👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

LmpwZWc.jpeg

Listening to the second LP from this 1970s 2-fer, originally released as All Mornin' Long. 

The original LP is one of my favorite covers:

NDktNTA2NC5qcGVn.jpeg

There's just a RIGHTNESS about Red Garland's playing that always gets me. 

 

54 minutes ago, bresna said:

Stan Getz - Voyage (Blackhawk). I have enjoyed nearly every Blackhawk LP/CD I've heard. Too bad Herb Wong couldn't keep this label or his Palo Alto label going very long. I guess the 80's were just a shitty time to be making jazz records... well, an even shittier time than other decades. :)

image.jpeg.e9f3bb1aea597fdb7be9a30e46859750.jpeg

 

Oh yeah.  Outstanding LP!  

 

 

Edited by HutchFan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now on my turntable:

gismon_egbe_dancadasc_101b.jpg

Egberto Gismonti - Dança das Cabeças (ECM, 1977)
with percussionist Naná Vasconcelos

My admiration for Gismonti continues to grow.  For years, my impressions of him were WAY off the mark.

Incidentally, my copy of this LP is a German pressing.  AQ is outtasight -- soooo much better than U.S. pressings, even for a someone like me with less than ideal hearing and a solid-but-nothing-special stereo system.

 

11 minutes ago, bresna said:

Joe Farrell - Penny Arcade (CTI). This sounds like 1974 with the required whacka-whacka guitar/drums. Not my favorite style of jazz for sure, but after Herbie struck gold with "Head Hunters", it was inevitable that others would try to copy that success.

I think Outback is the pick of the litter among Farrell's CTI's.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Now on my turntable:

gismon_egbe_dancadasc_101b.jpg

Egberto Gismonti - Dança das Cabeças (ECM, 1977)
with percussionist Naná Vasconcelos

My admiration for Gismonti continues to grow.  For years, my impressions of him were WAY off the mark.

Incidentally, my copy of this LP is a German pressing.  AQ is outtasight -- soooo much better than U.S. pressings, even for a someone like me with less than ideal hearing and a solid-but-nothing-special stereo system.

 

I think Outback is the pick of the litter among Farrell's CTI's.

 

I like Outback better than Penny Arcade, but I think Moon Germs gets played more often on my turntable.

Most of Farrell's CTI LPs are so short in playing time. Most of them run ~34 minutes total. I wonder if there is any unreleased stuff from these sessions?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, bresna said:

I like Outback better than Penny Arcade, but I think Moon Germs gets played more often on my turntable.

For a steaming hot slab of funk, Moon Germs is hard to beat.  :tup 

 

3 minutes ago, bresna said:

Most of Farrell's CTI LPs are so short in playing time. Most of them run ~34 minutes total. I wonder if there is any unreleased stuff from these sessions?

If there's more available, I'd love to hear it. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

 

Listening to the second LP from this 1970s 2-fer, originally released as All Mornin' Long. 

The original LP is one of my favorite covers:

NDktNTA2NC5qcGVn.jpeg

There's just a RIGHTNESS about Red Garland's playing that always gets me. 

 

😁 👍

 

 

Now playing

Nocturne Records  NLP 1 [Japan TOJJ-6037] - Herbie Harper Quintet - rec. 1953

43048934bh.jpg

43048933or.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
text
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, bresna said:

Joe Farrell - Penny Arcade (CTI). This sounds like 1974 with the required whacka-whacka guitar/drums. Not my favorite style of jazz for sure, but after Herbie struck gold with "Head Hunters", it was inevitable that others would try to copy that success.

image.jpeg.d66e8d2d7245d580f0629597c4f58f09.jpeg

👍 😁

11 hours ago, bresna said:

Doug Watkins - Watkins At Large (Transition/King). Nice Japanese pressing of this bluesy date. Phil T McNasty's Blues is one of my favorite jazzy blues tunes.

image.jpeg.8a3f489a48d040db24303d6918b35026.jpeg

😁 👍 Have that edition from Japan too . One of two. The other is Herb Pomery

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, bresna said:

Doug Watkins - Watkins At Large (Transition/King). Nice Japanese pressing of this bluesy date. Phil T McNasty's Blues is one of my favorite jazzy blues tunes.

image.jpeg.8a3f489a48d040db24303d6918b35026.jpeg

I have a copy if that King pressing too - supplied by Mr Tanno and graded by him as 'N--', looks immaculate. I wouldn't be surprised if this one is reissued in the Tone Poet series. More than happy with the King.

I saw a styrene copy in a shop in London once - knackered with only one label and that was hanging off. They wanted a small fortune for it too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, HutchFan said:

LmpwZWc.jpeg

Listening to the second LP from this 1970s 2-fer, originally released as All Mornin' Long. 

The original LP is one of my favorite covers:

NDktNTA2NC5qcGVn.jpeg

There's just a RIGHTNESS about Red Garland's playing that always gets me. 

 

Oh yeah.  Outstanding LP!  

 

 

Great thing, and I think the first thing is a slo blues or it is on some of those Garland Prestige things with Trane and Byrd on it, anyway. 

But I have learned a lot from Garland about piano voicings. He was a master in that. And actually, he was the first jazz pianist I ever heard in my live, on my first LP (Miles Davis "Steamin´"  when I was maybe 13 or so, I knew all his solos on that LP, was very impressed by those chords on the two ballads, yeah ! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I have a copy if that King pressing too - supplied by Mr Tanno and graded by him as 'N--', looks immaculate. I wouldn't be surprised if this one is reissued in the Tone Poet series. More than happy with the King.

I saw a styrene copy in a shop in London once - knackered with only one label and that was hanging off. They wanted a small fortune for it too.

👍 😁

 

Here is my other Item

Transition trlp-1   [Japan GXF-3125]  - Herb Pomeroy Group " Jazz In A Stable" - rec. 1955

42672599vd.jpg

42672601gt.jpg

42672600ta.jpg

 

Edited by jazzcorner
text
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...