Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Sorry for the confusion -- my wording was garbled. What Chuck posted -- the "this" I was referring to -- is the original sleeve art; the Polydor/Storyville art was used starting in the late 1960s.

Got it when I reread, thanks, so I deleted my message. I know I am on the vinyl thread ( and have vol 2 on vinyl) but the Storyville 2CD reissue is recommended, excellent quality.Ā 

On 2/7/2024 at 9:40 PM, adh1907 said:

Never seen that sleeve, much better than the Storyville issue. Ā Great album, I love Shepp shouting the time change on Trio during his solo. (Five Five!). Moses dominates on drums. Great drummer who doesnā€™t have a big discography to his name.

Great to read that someone gives some love to Moses. Indeed a great drummer who had an unhappy live since I had heard that he had been stabbed which affected his kidneys and he was on dialysis and died very young of kidney failure.Ā 

I love all stuff he played, I think the first stuff I heard was some Dolphy with Woody Shaw from the early 60Ā“s, and some Blue Note recordings, maybe with Andrew Hill. And he was Bud PowellĀ“s last drummer ! His drumming on the sets that survived recorded from Birdland is a highlight, he together with John Ore where a perfect rhtythm section. And I like drummers who really play and stretch out, not just doinĀ“ brushes in a trio context. Play it LOUD !!!! YEAH !

12 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Great to read that someone gives some love to Moses. Indeed a great drummer who had an unhappy live since I had heard that he had been stabbed which affected his kidneys and he was on dialysis and died very young of kidney failure.Ā 

I love all stuff he played, I think the first stuff I heard was some Dolphy with Woody Shaw from the early 60Ā“s, and some Blue Note recordings, maybe with Andrew Hill. And he was Bud PowellĀ“s last drummer ! His drumming on the sets that survived recorded from Birdland is a highlight, he together with John Ore where a perfect rhtythm section. And I like drummers who really play and stretch out, not just doinĀ“ brushes in a trio context. Play it LOUD !!!! YEAH !

Moses was great indeed. As Al Fielder said to me, "man, there must be something in the water up there in Pittsburgh!"

5 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

NDYtODYyMS5qcGVn.jpeg

Waldo's Gutbucket Syncopators - Jazz in the Afternoon (Blackbird, rec. 1971)

NzAtNTUxMi5qcGVn.jpeg

Ā 

I have another record on that label. They seem to have a bit of a catalog, all of it being local/ Midwestern trad bands.

If one had the means and the inclination, one could probably get a really good picture of that particular sub-subset.

That might be fun?Ā 

Ā 

42 minutes ago, JSngry said:

That might be fun?Ā 

I agree.Ā Ā :tupĀ Ā IIRC, Blackbird Records was based out of Chicago, and the catalog was later acquired by Delmark, Bob Koester.

Jazz in the Afternoon always makes me smile.Ā  It'sĀ evidence that early-jazz revivalism doesn't have to be amateurish or necrophilic.Ā  Because they sound great!

. . . And Waldo literally wrote a (if not "the") book on ragtime.

1917894.jpg

Ā 

Now this:

MS00MzM4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Baden Powell Quartet - Vol. 3 (Barclay, France, 1971)

Dayum!Ā  This music swings so hard!!!Ā  . . .Ā  IMO, this particular band might've been BP's best -- in no small part due to bassistĀ Ernesto Ribeiro GonƧalves andĀ drummer Helio Schiavo.

Ā 

7 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Ā 

Now this:

MS00MzM4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Baden Powell Quartet - Vol. 3 (Barclay, France, 1971)

Dayum!Ā  This music swings so hard!!!Ā  . . .Ā  IMO, this particular band might've been BP's best -- in no small part due to bassistĀ Ernesto Ribeiro GonƧalves andĀ drummer Helio Schiavo.

Excellent ....

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

I have another record on that label. They seem to have a bit of a catalog, all of it being local/ Midwestern trad bands.

8 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I agree.Ā Ā :tupĀ Ā IIRC, Blackbird Records was based out of Chicago, and the catalog was later acquired by Delmark, Bob Koester.

Ā 

What other stuff is there on the label? Id not heard of it.