Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2/26/2024 at 6:17 PM, sidewinder said:

Crackle does seem to be an issue with this one - my copy looks spotless and plays pretty well but there is some crackle, even after being cleaned on the VPI. Although largely MOR, there are a couple of tracks which for me are 'ringers' and (not coincidentally I think) were arranged by Stan Tracey. The David Mack and Leon Young-arranged tracks are more soporific.

I have given the record another clean and it sounds a lot better. The Stan Tracey tracks are definitely the best on the record. The last three on side 2 are v good.

As an aside Clem Alford, Amancio’s sitar player seems to have stopped writing to our local paper. Or been banned. 

PXL_20240303_183144681.jpg.764eb08f8739bc30b90228366a7ff355.jpg

A Carter family comp that I bought in the market. A surprise hit with the six year old, so getting some heavy rotation.

On 3/5/2024 at 3:37 PM, clifford_thornton said:

Nice! My wife usually goes for the steel-string guitar soli or the folk blues/ragtime sections.

This is nice. 

This is the area of my record collection I most dream of building up. Surprisingly hard, at least this side of the Ocean, where that music has never had a huge sway.

20 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

I assumed it would have some sway, given the fact that the Stones, Zep, and Peter Green among others mined the hell out of it!

It can be hard to find the older US stuff on the second hand market. I think it was very rare in the 1960s because it was mostly imported.