What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

On 3/18/2024 at 12:23 PM, optatio said:

👍

On 3/17/2024 at 4:17 PM, jazzcorner said:

SeaBreeze Jazz SB 2033 - Mark Masters' Jazz Composers Orchestra "Silver Threads Among The Blues" - rec. 1985 & 1986 - Engineer: Jim Mooney

47265893ei.jpg

47265892hb.jpg

47265894ck.jpg

I have several Mark Masters Big Band albums, but this one totally escaped my attention.  

Edited by John Tapscott

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Re: Mark Masters albums

I have several Mark Masters Big Band albums, but this one totally escaped my attention.  

An excellent orchestra. Here is what I have FYI:

LP        Masters,Mark       Early Start/Jazz Composers Orchestra          1984  Sea Breeze

LP          Masters,Mark       Silver Threads/Jazz Composers Orchestra          1985-86       Sea Breeze

CD      Masters,Mark       Mark Masters Jazz Orchestra "Priestess"   1991          Capri Records

CD      Masters,Mark       Mark Masters Jazz Orchestra 1992          Americatone

6 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

An excellent orchestra. Here is what I have FYI:

LP        Masters,Mark       Early Start/Jazz Composers Orchestra          1984  Sea Breeze

LP          Masters,Mark       Silver Threads/Jazz Composers Orchestra          1985-86       Sea Breeze

CD      Masters,Mark       Mark Masters Jazz Orchestra "Priestess"   1991          Capri Records

CD      Masters,Mark       Mark Masters Jazz Orchestra 1992          Americatone

Mark Masters is still at it. I have a couple of his more recent CDs, a Gary McFadden tribute, "Wish Me Well" (2006) & an Ellington tribute, "Ellington Saxophone Encounters" (2012). I bought both mainly because they have Gary Smulyan on them but I have no regrets as there is some great playing by all on these two.

29 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Mark Masters is still at it. I have a couple of his more recent CDs, a Gary McFadden tribute, "Wish Me Well" (2006) & an Ellington tribute, "Ellington Saxophone Encounters" (2012). I bought both mainly because they have Gary Smulyan on them but I have no regrets as there is some great playing by all on these two.

I have those. I'm also fond of his Blanton/Webster and Porgy and Bess cds. And "Blue Skylight," his Mingus and Mulligan one, is excellent.

Edited by jazzbo

1 hour ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Thats good news. Even I did slow down buying more CD's  these might be interesting for me as big band fan  and I will have a look for Items with reasonable price.

And yes Gary Smulyan is a fine bariton player

Thanks for the Info

Edited by jazzcorner

Pete Rugolo - The Sweet Ride (20th Century Fox, stereo)

Title track sung by Dusty Springfield.

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I've decided on a Randy Weston afternoon -

Did I ever tell the story about the time I moved, and I brought only one jazz LP with me, the 70s twofer of early Randy Weston stuff?

2 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Did I ever tell the story about the time I moved, and I brought only one jazz LP with me, the 70s twofer of early Randy Weston stuff?

The Blue Note or the Roulette? 

17 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

The Milestone twofer called Zulu, which included Trio and Solo, With These Hands, and two tracks from Plays Cole Porter.

That's a top-shelf two-fer.  :tup

17 hours ago, JSngry said:

Randy Weston was actually "hot" there for a quick minute! 

What prompted that bump for Weston in the 70s?  Was it Blue Moses on CTI? 

@JSngry @Chuck Nessa  @HutchFan So here is my Randy Weston Zulu album story.

I told the story in another thread about my negative university jazz experience, which made it difficult for me to listen to or enjoy jazz for a few years.

After I finished my BA (not in music), I was going through some heavy family stuff, and I decided that I was going to pack up and move to a strange city, make a fresh start, and leave behind any vestiges of my past that I did not want to revisit.  I chose a city halfway across the country, where I had a single friend living.  He was the only person I knew there.

If you've never packed up an moved to a strange place, with no connections and virtually no real reason for being there, it is very liberating, but because you have no familiar reference points, it also forces you to discover who you are and what you want, and it's not always easy. 

I had packed a box of about 50 or so LPs to bring with me, and I deliberately didn't bring any jazz with me, because I thought I was finished with it.  What was funny, was that after being there for only a few days, I suddenly wanted to listen to and play jazz. This snuck up on me from nowhere.

So I'm frantically going through my LPs, thinking, "Did you really not pack any jazz records, you idiot?" and lo and behold, I find Randy Weston's Zulu.  I have no idea how it got in the box; it must have been accidental.

Anyway, I played that album to death for several weeks, as it was my only jazz album.  I credit this album - and this whole experience - with reinforcing my love for jazz and getting me back into it.