Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

from a brief foray at a new store in town

Dave Brubeck The Riddle- Fontana- (ex Columbia 1959). Curious date with Bill Smith (clarinet )subbing for Desmond and providing all the compositions. Not at all bad but tough on Brubeck that he's still out of favour.Way better than the meagre 2 stars given by AMG.

McCoy Tyner- Focal Point- Transatlantic (Milestone)- dynamic stuff from Mr Tyner

Arthur Blythe- Blythe Spirit- Columbia- decent 1980s date- despite what Penguin says he produced some very good dates whilst with Columbia- a bit under-rated

Steve Lacy- The Door- Novus- good date with Sam Woodyard on one track

The Facts Of Life - Gene McDaniels - on the Sunset label. McDaniel's phrasing reminds me of Sinatra.

Before this I was listening to The Incredible Carlos Montoya - Gala New York Performance Town Hall - RCA victor label. Very nice.

And before that I was listening to Ambassador Satch - Louis Armstrong and his All-Stars.

This is a live album recorded during his European concert tour in 1955.

Edited by patricia

The Facts Of Life - Gene McDaniels - on the Sunset label. McDaniel's phrasing reminds me of Sinatra.

I guess that album would have been his Liberty material. I saw Gene in Harrow in 1961 or '62; he was on a tour of Britain with, of all people, Johnny Burnette and US Bonds. He wasn't known at all in Britain except as a songwriter - all his US hits had been covered by English singers - well, I had his records, and went specifically to see him.

So this was suposed to be a rock & roll show. Gene stopped the show completely singing "Spring is here". Is that on the Sunset LP?

MG

=magnificent goldberg

I guess that album would have been his Liberty material. I saw Gene in Harrow in 1961 or '62; he was on a tour of Britain with, of all people, Johnny Burnette and US Bonds. He wasn't known at all in Britain except as a songwriter - all his US hits had been covered by English singers - well, I had his records, and went specifically to see him.

So this was suposed to be a rock & roll show. Gene stopped the show completely singing "Spring is here". Is that on the Sunset LP?

MG

Yes it is on the Sunset label, but "Spring Is Here" isn't on it, unfortunately.

The track list is:

Side 1

Mona Lisa

You Let Me Down

Never Like This

In Times Like These

The Facts Of Life

Side 2

Love Is A Many Splendored Thing

I Believe In You

It Happened In Monterey

The Long Hot Summer

Golden Earrings

I haven't seen anything by McDaniels since the '60s. I had forgotten how skillful he was.

Edited by patricia

=magnificent goldberg

MG

Yes it is on the Sunset label, but "Spring Is Here" isn't on it, unfortunately.

The track list is:

Side 1

Mona Lisa

You Let Me Down

Never Like This

In Times Like These

The Facts Of Life

Side 2

Love Is A Many Splendored Thing

I Believe In You

It Happened In Monterey

The Long Hot Summer

Golden Earrings

I haven't seen anything by McDaniels since the '60s. I had forgotten how skillful he was.

Well, of course he wrote "Compared to what" for Les McCann, and Les has continued to record Gene's songs. Gene wrote the words to Wayne Shorter's "Passion world", which Les sang on his latest album, "Vibrations". Gene also arranged the voices, and sang lead, on Bobby Hutcherson's "Now". I didn't like that in 1970, but relented last year and bought it on CD; found out I was right in 1970. I also didn't like Gene's 1970 classic "Headless horsemen of the apocalypse", which has been reissued by Collectables. He's extremely talented but doesn't follow Lou Donaldson's advice - "Play the right thing".

MG

Frank Wess/Johnny Coles "Two at the Top" (Uptown 27.14)

A

1. Whistle Stop

2. Morning Star

3. Celia

4. Nica's Tempo

B

1. Minority

2. Ill Wind

3. Stablemates

4. An Oscar for Oscar

Frank Wess, Johnny Coles, Kenny Barron, Reggie Workman, Kenny Washington

Recorded at the Van Gelder studio in June 1983