• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Kings Of Swing - Usual suspects on one of those Reader's Digest compilations on RCA.

Say what you like about low-end compilations, there are few better ways to introduce someone to the jazz of a particular period than through these. They are much better than individual vintage albums by artists that a newbie has never heard. They also narrow down what individual albums such a person might want to start with. Even better are the ones on which each artist has only one or two tracks, I think.

I introduced my young assistant to jazz by playing my Jazz Tone discs while we were working.

I became interested in Dixieland and jazz from the forties and fifties through those Jazz Tone compilations and still collect them.

This 2 record RD set devotes each side to one artist. They are Artie Shaw, Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman. There are also nice little thumbnail bios on each of the men involved when you open the gate cover. Pristine condition, so whoever had them didn't play them much, which seems typical. Nice collection.

Edited by patricia

name='Man with the Golden Arm'

"Bashin'" is the favourite Jimmy Smith album in my collection, mostly because it has the track that lured me to jazz on it, "Walk On The Wild Side". That was the only part of the totally forgettable Barbara Stanwick/Laurence Harvey film from the sixties that has stuck in my mind since I saw it. The soundtrack for the film was Elmer Bernstein, but there is hardly a version of the tune that doesn't make me prick up my ears.

It's playing now. Wonderful.

Edited by patricia