• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jimmy Smith 'Home Cookin' (BN mono NY USA DG side 2)

Baby Face Willette 'Face To Face' (BN mono 47W63rd). Thanks to Allan for this one. :tup Sounds Great !

Glad it arrived OK! Dontcha just LOVE Fred Jackson? I sat next to him at the Jazz Bakery about two years ago at a Heath Brothers show--he looked great. And sitting two over from me was Horace Silver who REALLY looked good.

Great to hear that Fred J. is still in great shape ! His playing on this session is real nice. First time I've heard it, it's a gem.

As for Horace - he seems ageless !

Great little place the Jazz Bakery. Fond memories of seeing Cecil Taylor and Jackie McLean (with Cedar Walton) there some years ago.

:tup

Edited by sidewinder

I had NO IDEA Fred Jackson was still alive! Did you ask him what he's been doing since "The way I feel?"

Playing Arnold Sterling this evening, since it's his 68th birthday today. Another who made one LP as a leader and a few sideman dates.

Jimmy McGriff - Movin' upside the blues

Arnold Sterling - Here's brother Sterling

Jimmy McGriff - Countdown

Jimmy Ponder - Down here on the ground

Jimmy McGriff - Skywalk

MG

I had NO IDEA Fred Jackson was still alive! Did you ask him what he's been doing since "The way I feel?"

Playing Arnold Sterling this evening, since it's his 68th birthday today. Another who made one LP as a leader and a few sideman dates.

Jimmy McGriff - Skywalk

MG

I don't know Fred is all that active these days--he was there to see his good pal Jimmy Heath--they seemed really close. I do know that he was a "first call" session player for much of the 70's and 80's--right there with

Plas Johnson, Bill Perkins and some other cats.

Jimmy McGriff - Skywalk

MG

I don't know Fred is all that active these days--he was there to see his good pal Jimmy Heath--they seemed really close. I do know that he was a "first call" session player for much of the 70's and 80's--right there with

Plas Johnson, Bill Perkins and some other cats.

I think that was Fred Jackson Jr who did all those sessions. He might conceivably have been THE Fred Jackson's son, but it's a pretty common name.

MG

I think that was Fred Jackson Jr who did all those sessions. He might conceivably have been THE Fred Jackson's son, but it's a pretty common name.

MG

You're probably right. All I know is that the guy next to me was about 65-75 years old and was introduced by Jimmy Heath as "Fred Jackson, the GREAT tenor saxophone player and one of my dearest friends." I don't know if this guy was THE Fred Jackson--I just assumed so. If it were Fed Jackson's son then Fred Sr. would have to be about 85 years old! They're probably not related and this cat was probably NOT the Fred Jackson from "Face to Face." Oh well . . .

Edited by Allan Songer

Frank Lowe- The Flam- Forgotten how good this one is.

Got it new along with a whole load of BS/SN and Enja vinyls new from Fopp perhaps 6 years ago all for £2 an LP. Rather too many David Murray's but also excellent sides by Roscoe Mitchell ,Art Farmer , Clifford Jordan, Martial Solal, Jimmy Lyons etc. Shame they don't carry this sort of stuff any more

Absolutely right, 'The Flam' is a real spine tingler. The essential Frank Lowe recording. And great Alex Blake.

Frank Lowe- The Flam- Forgotten how good this one is.

Got it new along with a whole load of BS/SN and Enja vinyls new from Fopp perhaps 6 years ago all for £2 an LP. Rather too many David Murray's but also excellent sides by Roscoe Mitchell ,Art Farmer , Clifford Jordan, Martial Solal, Jimmy Lyons etc. Shame they don't carry this sort of stuff any more

Absolutely right, 'The Flam' is a real spine tingler. The essential Frank Lowe recording. And great Alex Blake.

As a sidenote, the current (March) issue of Cadence contains a short, but interesting, interview with Alex Blake.

MG

You're probably right. All I know is that the guy next to me was about 65-75 years old and was introduced by Jimmy Heath as "Fred Jackson, the GREAT tenor saxophone player and one of my dearest friends." I don't know if this guy was THE Fred Jackson--I just assumed so. If it were Fed Jackson's son then Fred Sr. would have to be about 85 years old! They're probably not related and this cat was probably NOT the Fred Jackson from "Face to Face." Oh well . . .

Sounds from his apparent age as if he WAS THE Fred Jackson. The guy who did all those sessions, FJ Jr, was quite young-looking when I saw him on TV in the early 70's with Ray Charles' band - too young to be THE Fred Jackson, who was recording with Billy Wright, the Prince of the Blues, in the late '40s. FJ Jr would be in his fifties now, I guess.

MG

Last time I saw Alex Blake it was at Catalina's Bar & Grill in LA. I think he was in Mike Stern's group.

Now playing Humphrey Lyttelton 'Buck and Me' (World Record Club mono). Session recorded at Interlaken, Switzerland with Buck Clayton, apparently quite rare. Picked up for £3 today. :excited:

Edited by sidewinder