• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not vinyl but shellac - but there's no thread.

Because it's the late Eddie Chamblee's birthday today, I've dug out and played

Sonny Thompson - Long Gone pts 1 & 2 - Miracle 126 Lovely playing from Sonny, Arvin Garrett on guitar and Eddie.

Sonny Thompson - Late Freight/Sonny's return - Miracle 128 (Eddie isn't on the B side)

Because it's quite a hassle converting my deck over to play 78s, I also took the oppotrunity to get out

Lloyd Lambert - King Cotton/Heavy Sugar - Specialty 553 DJ sample

I think I've only played the B side a couple of times. This time it was a lot better; a very heavy slow bluesy thing with some interesting voicing of the horns. King Cotton has one of my all time favourite tenor solos; I think it's by Lee Allen. Does anyone know this record to confirm it's Allen? I think it's from 1955.

MG

Toshiko Akiyoshi 'The Toshiko Trio' (Storyville)

with Paul Chambers and Ed Thigpen

OK but it lacks bite!

There is a brief handwritten note by the previous owner on the back cover that he caught PC at the SF Blackhawk in February 1957. Presumably with the Miles Davis quintet... Lucky Man :o

Edited by brownie

Gene Ludwig - Now's the time

Johnny Lytle - Blue vibes

Milt Jackson - Milt Jackson

My copy of this Milt Jackson (BLP1509) has 43 W 61st Street on the cover and 176 Lexington Ave on the disc. Does this mean that some previous owner got it mixed up? Or that BN had more discs pressed than they had sleeves printed, so that when they moved, the sleeves were ahead of the discs?

(The inner sleeve is from 1964.)

MG

My copy of this Milt Jackson (BLP1509) has 43 W 61st Street on the cover and 176 Lexington Ave on the disc. Does this mean that some previous owner got it mixed up? Or that BN had more discs pressed than they had sleeves printed, so that when they moved, the sleeves were ahead of the discs?

MG

It was probably pressed in 1964. This was a slow seller but stayed in the catalog right until the end--they had to use up all the Lexington labels that had been lying around since '56. Blue Note used Lexington labels some of these early 12" releases up to the end and you can even find them on early LIBERTY pressings! I have a Jay Jay Johnson Liberty mono with Lexington labels.

I guess it's POSSIBLE the record is a first pressing. Does it have a flat edge? That would be the most obvious determining factor . .

Edited by Allan Songer

MG

It was probably pressed in 1964. This was a slow seller but stayed in the catalog right until the end--they had to use up all the Lexington labels that had been lying around since '56. You see Lexington labels some of these early 12" releases up to the end and EVEN on early LIBERTY pressings! I have a Jay Jay Johnson Liberty mono with Lexington labels.

I guess it's POSSIBLE the record is a first pressing. Does it have a flat edge? That would be the most obvious determining factor . .

No flat edge - so that means it's a more recent pressing, eh? I never thought that BN would be using up old labels - that seems fantastically penny-pinching.

Thanks for this info Allan

MG

MG

I've got one of those - has Lexington label on one side and NY USA on the other with DG on at least one side. Just to complicate matters the sleeve is Lexington. I'll have to dig it out later.

There must have been a job-lot of them shipped to the UK !