What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

No jazz LPs for me today from the local cahrity shop but I did pick up

Jesse Fuller- Brother Lowdown- Prestige 2LP- never heard of this guy but it's joyous stuff even if some of the songs follow a similar groove. Realised after playing it through that I was familiar with "San Francisco Bay Blues" from the version by Eric Clapton. Very nice set.

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Frank Lowe - The Flam - (Black Saint) had forgotten what an interesting date in Lowe's catalog this is, and what a great bassist Alex Blake is. The record was found for $1 in Connecticut nearly a decade ago...

It wouldn't be the copy that I (like an idiot) sold for £0.50 at Mole Jazz many years ago would it ? ;)

Roy freakin' McCURDY, y'all!

The drummer I've heard live more than ANYONE else--a FIXTURE on the LA scene FOREVER.

Dude can PLAY!!!

Well, yeah! I listen to him on those post-Mercy Capitol sides and no matter what the groove is, funk, straight-ahead, fusion, out, whatever. the cat's always inside the music, breathing with it and bringing it to life. I'm beginning to realize that he was the "secret weapon" of that band.

National Jazz Federation Modern Jazz Concert - February 28 1954 - almost fifty two years ago. The earliest Ronnie Ross (playing tenor) I've got, when he was still in the army. Rough recording but I'm trying to clean it up. Side one by a quintet led by Derek Smith, who later departed for the USA. Don Renedell also on tenor. The second side is by a group led by Tony Kinsey, with Tommy Whittle on tenor.

The Complete Benny Goodman - 1936 - 1939. Two record set on the Bluebird label. The record label helpfully tells us that these are Electrically Recorded Phonograph Records. Who wouldn't feel reassured.;)

This has tracks that include the great Dave Tough on drums. I love these records. :wub:

Jan Johansson/Georg Riedel 'Jazz pa svenska' (Swedish Megaphon original stereo). Picked up today from Oxfam for £3.99. After clean-up on the VPI its near mint. :D

very good date indeed, liked it so much I've got original Mono and Stereo pressings (both for £1 :wub: ), the mono is quite worn so when I spotted the stereo version I snapped it up.

Claude Hopkins- Lets Jam - Swingsville( Fontana UK)- plays amazing well considering how beaten up the disc looks

Stan Getz- Greatest Hits- Stateside ( UK 1965)- Opportunistcally titled set of 12 Prestige titles from 1949/50 , in lovely condtion ccomplete with liner notes by our own CA

Ornette Coleman- Something Else- Contemporary - Great sound on this early Coleman set , even if the vinyl is fairly light- curiously very heavy cardboard cover- not sure how old this reissue is- guess mid 70s

No jazz LPs for me today from the local cahrity shop but I did pick up

Jesse Fuller- Brother Lowdown- Prestige 2LP- never heard of this guy but it's joyous stuff even if some of the songs follow a similar groove. Realised after playing it through that I was familiar with "San Francisco Bay Blues" from the version by Eric Clapton. Very nice set.

Jesse Fuller toured Britain sometime in the second half of the sixties - mainly on the strength of the admiration of people like Clapton. I saw him in Brighton; he was a great entertainer.

MG