• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i found this solo piano mal waldron lp on Paula Records, 1973--- mal waldron on steinway

joe_dukes_soulful_drums_of.jpg

The Soulful Drums of Joe Dukes by Joe Dukes & The Brother Jack McDuff Quartet.

dawg is yrs the gold label prestige issue! the label looks great on this one

My present copy is a stereo reissue, but a 1964 mono is already on it`s way to Rotterdam now. :)

Edited by tomatamot

Probably just how I heard it. I knew little jazz c. 1975 but was immersed in the Canterbury thing, and a lot of the British jazz-rock of that time. 'Escalator Over The Hill' grabbed me by the throat. The overture made me very curious about the jazz I was reading about but had not heard. Charlie Haden was on several of those early Bley Albums as well as the Jarrett records I was starting to buy; and Wyatt did 'Song for Che' on an album as well as recording with Michael Mantler. Lots of connections.

Remember seeing Bley in a short lived supergroup with Mick Taylor and Jack Bruce.

And speaking of the Canterbury thing, there's Carla's "European Tour 1977" with Hugh Hopper, Elton Dean, and Gary Windo.

Probably just how I heard it. I knew little jazz c. 1975 but was immersed in the Canterbury thing, and a lot of the British jazz-rock of that time. 'Escalator Over The Hill' grabbed me by the throat. The overture made me very curious about the jazz I was reading about but had not heard. Charlie Haden was on several of those early Bley Albums as well as the Jarrett records I was starting to buy; and Wyatt did 'Song for Che' on an album as well as recording with Michael Mantler. Lots of connections.

Remember seeing Bley in a short lived supergroup with Mick Taylor and Jack Bruce.

And speaking of the Canterbury thing, there's Carla's "European Tour 1977" with Hugh Hopper, Elton Dean, and Gary Windo.

Yes, thanks, I have that and it is really good. What a band. I think I posted on that some mini-millenium ago. Supposedly some friction between Carla and the boys in the band.

boots_antonio_11329.jpg

San Antonio Jazz (IAJRC). This fascinating album has the complete recordings of Don Albert's big band on side one and a well-chosen selection of tunes by Boots & His Buddies on side two. I've always loved the Albert big band; he was from New Orleans, and his band was full of Crescent City musicians: Alvin Alcorn, Louis Cottrell, Herb Hall (Edmond's brother), guitarist Ferdinand Dejan, and even the venerable Jimmy Johnson, who was the bassist in Buddy Bolden's band 35 years earlier. (He's in the famous picture of the Bolden band.) And here's the first recording of of "True" (aka "You Don't Love Me"), which was a hit for New Orleanian Paul Gayten in 1947. And the great James Booker recorded a hair-raising version at Montreux in 1978.

Edited by jeffcrom

Gerry%2BMulligan%2B-%2BMulligan%2BMeets%

MULLIGAN MEETS MONK - Thelonius Monk, Gerry Mulligan, Wilbur Ware, Shadow Wilson. Riverside/Victor Japan LP.

Who benefited more from this meet-up?

I did, for sure. :)

i think this is much better than many would have you believe. At least I like it.

Good enough for me to buy it recently on CD for the extra takes. (I first knew it in 1960 on the Riverside LP).