• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A bit earler -

Carla Bley 'Heavy Heart' (German Watt)

Carla+Bley+-+Heavy+Heart+-+LP+RECORD-470

apologies to Carla but I ditched my copy of this quite recently. Didn't do much for me.

Hmm - I like it ! There again, I've had my copy for 30 years..

In fairness to this LP I was wanting to create some space on the shelves to make space for newer stuff and this got spotted and identified as something I didn't play often. In a rare moment of ruthlessness it and 60 other LPs were gone.

Edited by Clunky

Picked up a playable used LP today of Manny Albam's "The Blues Is Everybody's Business" (Coral). What a time capsule that is. Interesting, somewhat odd aspect is the presence almost throughout of Vinnie Burke as a featured soloist, this while Milt Hinton plays in the rhythm section. I like Burke, but why put him out in front of a 19-piece big band that includes all the usual circa 1957 NYC suspects? Not as odd but also interesting is the choice of Nick Travis as the other featured soloist and main "character" in Albam's moderately programmatic score. I'm no Travis expert (probably heard his RCA album "The Panic Is On" way back when but don't have a copy and don't recall how he sounded on it), but he is fairly personal and inventive at times here.

254787.jpg

Probably the only LP in my collection that has four different titles: "Lester": Lester Young at Olivia's Patio Lounge on the spine; Lester Young in Washington, D.C. 1956 on the back; Lester Young at Olivia Davis' Patio Lounge Washington, District of Columbia, 1956 on the record label - The front cover seems right to me: "Pres".

Don%2BElliott%2528Jamaica%2BJazz%252Cfro

Don Elliott - Jamaica Jazz (ABC Paramount mono). I like this a lot more than JSngry did on his recent spin. The material is not great - certainly not Harold Arlen's best work. But Gil Evans' scores are full of fascinating details - stuff that nobody else would have come up with: English horn trios, a melody played by low-register guitar doubled by piccolo three octaves higher, and is that a bass clarinet quartet in "Ain't It the Truth?" I'm glad I pulled this off the shelf for the first time in several years.

610tDz-o9DL.jpg

Frank Teschemacher - Giants of Jazz (Time-Life). The coolest of the Time-Life Giants of Jazz series, because it contains all 34 verifiable sides Teschemacher recorded, plus six maybes. I'm listening to the third record, with the Elmer Schoebel and Cellar Boys sessions, plus the "possibles."

John Tchicai - Tribal Ghost [2013, No Business]

$T2eC16NHJFoFH34NqObIBSGNpIvq1Q~~60_35.J

:tup:tup:tup Marvellous

I've wondered about this one . I've had mixed experience of No Business pressings . How's this one?

No complaints here.

Except the price .... <_<

Indeed. No Business vinyl is treat only territory.

I have most of the No Business vinyl titles and very much enjoy them, because there is some really excellent music therein. The only fly in the ointment is that I think some are digitally sourced. This is just based on listening to them, nothing specific. Anyone have information on that? I would like to find it that is not correct, but I suspect that the master for the CD and LP versions are a single hi-rez source.

sunnym_grande.jpg?v=1377101872

APPLE CORES - Sunny Murray & The Untouchable Factor. Philly Jazz LP. A lot more folks involved in this one that Charred Earth, and the production is (relatively) more sophisticated. I like Side 2 rather more, with Monette Sudler, Hamiet Bluiett, Arthur Blythe, Fred Hopkins, Abdul Zahir Batin, Sonny Brown, and Sunny Murray.