• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Red Rodney - The 3 R's (Muse). This sounds a bit tired which is weird 'cause it's a killer band. Red Rodney in particular sounds pretty weak. Roland Hanna's piano/keyboard sound is rinky-dink and George Duvivier's bass is recorded in that typical late 70's/early 80's twangy style. It might be why it wasn't released right away. The funny thing is, I bought this record mainly because Malcolm Addey was the recording engineer. I guess he got better with time? :)

Red%2BRodney%2B-%2BThe%2B3R%27s%2B-%2BLP

EDIT: AM I the only one who found it funny that a schoolboard has the band listed with improper capitalization? :)

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

419%2Bzm%2BzptL._SY300_.jpg

Miles Davis in Europe (Sony Japan)

Jim was right - a very, very fine record. I hate the way Tony Williams' drums are recorded on this (and on Miles' albums in general). He was obviously a powerful drummer (sorry to say, I never heard him live with Miles), but his drums are recorded so distantly and politely that you have to imagine what he actually sounded like.

So, stockroom!

Did Contemporary do a "classical" "series" for a little bit, or was this a one-off, more or less?

Scanned from the inner sleeve - not complete (I remember a Toch Piano Concerto).

You should read Steuermann's wiki bio and try to find his Schoenberg lp.

1959313_758760154135009_471613752_n.jpg

31u8M%2BMLbBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Will look at that, thanks.

What do we get with the Vernon Duke stuff?

So, stockroom!

Did Contemporary do a "classical" "series" for a little bit, or was this a one-off, more or less?

Scanned from the inner sleeve - not complete (I remember a Toch Piano Concerto).

FWIW, Stravinsky and Duke (Vladimir Dukelsky in his Russian days; at one point he was a Diaghilev protege) were not on good terms to say the least. Duke on Stravinsky: "Stravinsky is basically insecure, having traveled for many years with the slimmest musical baggage on the grandest scale but with the falsest possible pretences." Can't cite them right now, but I believe that Stravinsky had similar things to say about Duke.

So, stockroom!

FWIW, Stravinsky and Duke (Vladimir Dukelsky in his Russian days; at one point he was a Diaghilev protege) were not on good terms to say the least. Duke on Stravinsky: "Stravinsky is basically insecure, having traveled for many years with the slimmest musical baggage on the grandest scale but with the falsest possible pretences." Can't cite them right now, but I believe that Stravinsky had similar things to say about Duke.

Does Concord own the rights to this material now?

Hell, I'm checking out Mel Powell, might as well check out Vernon Duke as well.

M6007 has a performance by Donald Christlieb (Yeah, Pete's dad, I know), who I've heard before, an outstanding bassoonist. eBay turned up a $10.00 price for an allegedly "near mint" LP, we'll see about all of that, vinyl and music. But I know that it'll have some outstanding bassoon playing on it, so hey.

The other Contemporary side...just found one mention of it in a retail forum, and the price was, like, $54.00...definitely not feeling the need to investigate that. Especially since there's some other recordings of his (Duke's) works available on Amazon for less than that combined. I'm getting all of it, CDs & LP for under that.

A fool and his money, perhaps, we'll see.

So, stockroom!

Does Concord own the rights to this material now?

Yes.

I guess it doesn't matter much. Concord will never reissue it and I doubt that any small outfit will ever lease it.