What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

R-1513868-1225288221.jpeg

I have to laugh whenever I see this cover photo. Having grown up in NYC, I did not see a cow in the flesh until I was in my early 20s! (seriously). Driving down a country lane at the time, I saw a herd of cows grazing near the fence line. I had my new wife take a picture of me posed before the cow herd. Moondoc must have had something of the same feeling.

My wife used to teach inner-city 3 and 4 year olds. On a trip to the countryside, one of them looked out of the bus and remarked, "Cows don't wear clothes, do they?" :smirk:

• Replies 55.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

moondo_jeme_konstanze_101b.jpg

KONSTANZE's DELIGHT - Jemeel Moondoc Sextet: Moondoc (as), Roy Campbell (tp). Khan Jamal (vibes), Wm Parker (b), Dennis Charles (d), Ellen Christ (voice). 1981. Another exciting Moondoc album. I like the addition of Khan Jamal. provides nice texture. Ellen Christi likes to get in there and mix it up with Roy Campbell it seems.

Enjoying a first listen to this on Spotify. Khan Jamal's name piqued my interest. Christi certainly addds something

I love what of his I've heard-- need to actually pick up copies of the records.

Prices on the first two Muntu LPs are insane lately - don't know why, they're strong but not impossible to find - but it's all worth digging into. The Cadence is easy to obtain and cheap/still in print, and the Soul Notes are also generally cheap and in as-new if not "new" condition. The Eremite CDs are all killer, too. I like the Poljazz pretty well but the pressing is turd-like (unsurprisingly).

I love what of his I've heard-- need to actually pick up copies of the records.

Prices on the first two Muntu LPs are insane lately - don't know why, they're strong but not impossible to find - but it's all worth digging into. The Cadence is easy to obtain and cheap/still in print, and the Soul Notes are also generally cheap and in as-new if not "new" condition. The Eremite CDs are all killer, too. I like the Poljazz pretty well but the pressing is turd-like (unsurprisingly).

I must have got s bit lucky on my PolJazz, mine's not that bad, although it will never be mistaken for an audiophile release. Still, I loved the performance and so would recommend it. As for early Muntu, I really like the Muntu 3-CD box on No Business.

rudd_roswel_insidejob_101b.jpg

Roswell Rudd - Inside Job [Freedom]

Prompted by a Samuel Blaser discussion elsewhere on the board. i haven't played this for a long time. One word comes to mind "magnificent" - big, bold, grooves like hell but does so with a disguised subtelty and a lot of heart and soul

2958411160.jpg

Billie Holiday: Velvet Mood (Verve Japan)

Don't know whatever material/session(s) that is by that name/cover...what is it, exactly?

Los Angeles, Aug. 23-25 - 1955

Billie Holiday, Harry Edison, Benny Carter, Jimmy Rowles, Barney Kessel, John Simmons, Larry Bunker

Prelude to a Kiss; When Your Lover Has Gone; Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone; Nice Work If You Can Get It; I've Got a Right To Sing the Blues; What's New; I Hadn't Anyone Till You, Everything I Have Is Yours

2958411160.jpg

Billie Holiday: Velvet Mood (Verve Japan)

Don't know whatever material/session(s) that is by that name/cover...what is it, exactly?

Los Angeles, Aug. 23-25 - 1955

Billie Holiday, Harry Edison, Benny Carter, Jimmy Rowles, Barney Kessel, John Simmons, Larry Bunker

Prelude to a Kiss; When Your Lover Has Gone; Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone; Nice Work If You Can Get It; I've Got a Right To Sing the Blues; What's New; I Hadn't Anyone Till You, Everything I Have Is Yours

I have this album too and really love it very much.

rudd_roswel_insidejob_101b.jpg

Roswell Rudd - Inside Job [Freedom]

Prompted by a Samuel Blaser discussion elsewhere on the board. i haven't played this for a long time. One word comes to mind "magnificent" - big, bold, grooves like hell but does so with a disguised subtelty and a lot of heart and soul

Yes, Rudd tops the list for me. An incredible player. I saw him at Vision Fest last year and, even ill, he played extraordinarily well. I might say he is a wonderful musician, whereas others are often "just" fine trombonists (no shame in that, but no glory either).

Edited by Leeway