What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Where+Is+Love+-+front.jpg

Saw this for a buck, and the attraction was seeing Pat (as in not Patrick) Williams in charge, wondering what kind of MOR/Jack Jones album Pat (as in not Patrick) Williams would make, and this is the answer - all kinds of material ranging from good to terrifyingly awful, some uncredited Jack Sheldon (or so it sounds), some pleasant quirk in some of the right places, and an album-closing version of "Old Man River" with background riffs that sound like they're ready to be used in some cues for upcoming episodes of The Bob Newhart Show.

Curiosity satisfied for a buck, and now stuck with an image of Jack Sheldon leaving the Adam-12 set and heading over to play a Pat (as in not Patrick) Williams-led Jack Jones date and wondering what the hell kind of life all that was about?

• Replies 55.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Baritone Madness - Heavy Berries (Swing Master n.m. 004). A Dutch band of Henk Van Es, Jenne Meinema, Alan Laurillard, Hans Bosch & Frans Vermeerssen on baritone sax; Kees Post on Roland piano & synth; Gerry Arling on bass and Harrie Arling on drums. Recorded in Groningen, Netherlands in 1987. Some good stuff, some not so good stuff. The couple of vocal tracks really aren't for me. I can't complain too much for $3.

R-11855269-1523543386-8777.jpeg.jpg

Edited by bresna

John Coltrane and Lee Morgan - The Best Of Birdland Vol. 1 (Roulette/Birdland). Original issue. Coltrane on Side 1, Morgan on side 2. It's interesting to hear this as it was released instead of broken up and combined onto other CDs.

20709.jpg

This was originally part of a Roulette lp box called something like "The Birdland Story". I got a copy in Des Moines while in high school.

1049large.jpg

Gato Barbieri - In search of mystery [ESP]

Barbieri burns brigtly on this but the work of Norris Jones and Calo Scott provides the kindling

1049large.jpg

Gato Barbieri - In search of mystery [ESP]

Barbieri burns brigtly on this but the work of Norris Jones and Calo Scott provides the kindling

I feel in rare company for liking this LP.

Count me in as a fan too..I like this album. Although I don't have much else Gato in my collection besides an album for the Italian VISTA label and his sidemen appearances with Don Cherry.

And Clifford I pulled out my "Machine Gun" and it matches your stampers as well....weird. I know someone either told me or I read about the supposed fact that later FMP pressings did not have BRO stampers but now I know that is incorrect.

Sorry for the delay but I've been knocked out the last day or so with a violent case of food poisoning; not fun!

moondo_jeme_judysboun_101b.jpg

"JUDY'S BOUNCE" - Jemeel Moondoc Trio, Moondoc, Fred Hopkins, Ed Blackwell. Soul Note LP.

I like this album. Apologies if I'm stating the obvious, but this and so many other works of this type are shot through with Ornette's "language." His influence is so pervasive.

MI0000738419.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

NOSTALGIA IN TIMES SQUARE - Jemeel Moondoc Quintet: Moondoc (as, ss), Bern Nix (g), Rahn Burton (p), William Parker (b), Dennis Charles (d). Soul Note LP. 1985. I like this album, but I don't care much for Rahn Burton's playing, which I think much too conventional for the context.

R-1513868-1225288221.jpeg

NEW YORK LIVE! - Jemeel Moondoc and Muntu. Cadence Jazz Record LP. 1981. Moondoc (as), Roy Campbell (tp), William Parker (b), Rashid Bakr (d), Ellen Christi (voice, Side 2). Side 1 live 10/24/81, live at the Public Theatre, NYC, Side 2, live at Studio Henry, 4/2/81. Nicely riotous performance of "Salt Peanuts" (!) on Side 1, Ellen Christi rips it up on Side 2. A lot of energy in this album.

I have to laugh whenever I see this cover photo. Having grown up in NYC, I did not see a cow in the flesh until I was in my early 20s! (seriously). Driving down a country lane at the time, I saw a herd of cows grazing near the fence line. I had my new wife take a picture of me posed before the cow herd. Moondoc must have had something of the same feeling.

1986803.jpg

Anthony Braxton Quartet (London) 1985 [Leo Records]

done sides A-E so far. F to finish

R-1513868-1225288221.jpeg

NEW YORK LIVE! - Jemeel Moondoc and Muntu. Cadence Jazz Record LP. 1981. Moondoc (as), Roy Campbell (tp), William Parker (b), Rashid Bakr (d), Ellen Christi (voice, Side 2). Side 1 live 10/24/81, live at the Public Theatre, NYC, Side 2, live at Studio Henry, 4/2/81. Nicely riotous performance of "Salt Peanuts" (!) on Side 1, Ellen Christi rips it up on Side 2. A lot of energy in this album.

I have to laugh whenever I see this cover photo. Having grown up in NYC, I did not see a cow in the flesh until I was in my early 20s! (seriously). Driving down a country lane at the time, I saw a herd of cows grazing near the fence line. I had my new wife take a picture of me posed before the cow herd. Moondoc must have had something of the same feeling.

love that cow story. ;)

Often wondered whether this was an LP to track down. Often thought it a mighty strange cover. btw image not displaying for me but i know the cover because of your story.

1986803.jpg

Anthony Braxton Quartet (London) 1985 [Leo Records]

done sides A-E so far. F to finish

51h6zKPsjPL._SY300_.jpg

love that cow story. ;)

Often wondered whether this was an LP to track down. Often thought it a mighty strange cover. btw image not displaying for me but i know the cover because of your story.

The cows had the same look for me and Moondoc -blandly observant :P . I tried another image, hopefully it comes up. I liked the album, especially first side, Side 2 excellent also, but matter of taste whether Ellen Christi voicings appeal (she does not dominate the side, only occasional voicings). I thought she was exciting and more tuneful than Irene Aebi (for example). Cadence might even have copies of this album left over. I've picked up several of their titles as remainders. Not usually expensive anyway.

Last Moondoc LP. I've listened to 5 in a row and was never bored or dulled. All a little different, all with a lot of ideas and energy. Illuminating to hear Roy Campbell play back in the day.

moondo_jeme_konstanze_101b.jpg

KONSTANZE's DELIGHT - Jemeel Moondoc Sextet: Moondoc (as), Roy Campbell (tp). Khan Jamal (vibes), Wm Parker (b), Dennis Charles (d), Ellen Christ (voice). 1981. Another exciting Moondoc album. I like the addition of Khan Jamal. provides nice texture. Ellen Christi likes to get in there and mix it up with Roy Campbell it seems.