Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

It's totally stupid. Of course they were not designed with this in mind (these are the reissue covers anyway). But I guess I see what Aric was talking about, even if it's not true.

Vol. 3 is not a reissue but has the same pictures??

I think you see more than I do. Have about 100 BN's. Never  came to my minmd there was a rassistic intention or sublime meaning in the  cover fotos.

I think I will end the topic here.

W.

Edited by jazzcorner

23 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Vol. 3 is not a reissue but has the same pictures??

I think you see more than I do. Have about 100 BN's. Never  came to my minmd there was a rassistic intention or sublime meaning in the  cover fotos.

I think I will end the topic here.

W.

Right, in Japan only.

Eh, I see it but can agree it's a stupid point and has no bearing on my life whatsoever.

I guess the QC must have dropped off a bit after Alfred Lion left the ship !

’Hi Voltage’ is a very good session - been listening to that one on the Mobley Mosaic this weekend. Some very fine playing by both John Hicks and Mobley, in particular. 

Edited by sidewinder

38 minutes ago, bresna said:

BTW - why is it "Hi Voltage" on the cover and "High Voltage" on the track title list, the label & in the liner notes?

That might have been a Reid Miles thing - "Hi" might have looked better on the cover.  I think there were some other BNs with slight spelling variations on the cover, perhaps for the same reason.

On 10.4.2020 at 4:21 PM, jazzcorner said:

Sorry its CD's but nevertheless  the best Kenton band in the 1950ies IMHO.

38257079kq.jpg

38257080fw.jpg

38257178mq.jpg

38257179lz.jpg

When I was Young, I had a cool boss in the Office I was working and when he heard that I listen to jazz and Play jazz , he told me that he had heard that Kenton Band in 1953 in Vienna, and he mentioned Lee Konitz and Zoot Sims . So this was the same tour. Such a great band ! 

9 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

When I was Young, I had a cool boss in the Office I was working and when he heard that I listen to jazz and Play jazz , he told me that he had heard that Kenton Band in 1953 in Vienna, and he mentioned Lee Konitz and Zoot Sims . So this was the same tour. Such a great band ! 

The Astral Jazz label was issued by a german born producer Hans Löffler (later John Loeffler after her went to the US). Had for some years a nice correspondance with him.

You boss must have been a fine man knowing that Kenton band.