Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sunny Murray 'Big Chief' (Pathé)

with Bernard Vitet, Ken Terroade, François Tusques, Beb Guerin, Alan Silva, etc...

One of my favorite Murray LPs!

:tup:tup

Yeah, that Murray band was pretty wild. Was lucky to hear them live quite a number of times. Sonny Murray live is a total experience!

I'd have given my first-born to see that band live. Wow!

Sunny Murray 'Big Chief' (Pathé)

with Bernard Vitet, Ken Terroade, François Tusques, Beb Guerin, Alan Silva, etc...

One of my favorite Murray LPs!

:tup:tup

Yeah, that Murray band was pretty wild. Was lucky to hear them live quite a number of times. Sonny Murray live is a total experience!

I'd have given my first-born to see that band live. Wow!

The concerts/gigs situation in Paris at the time was really a problem :blink: You just could not keep up with the record number of opportunities to listen to people like Sonny Murray, the full AEC, Marion Brown, Archie Shepp, Anthony Braxton, Cecil Taylor and many more all showing up in these parts practically at the same time...

Glad I attended as many as I could!

I've had three copies of that, different pressings, all having a crappy side 1. Bad luck? Who knows...

Actually I think I had some gunk on my stylus...gave it a thorough cleaning...sounds good on a different record now, but will have to relisten to Joe...

Now spinning:

Mal 2 - Mal Waldron - from the Prestige mid-70's two-fer "One & Two" :tup

Horace Silver - The Stylings of Silver - Blue label 70's reissue. Cut corner. Looks (w/ the exception of the cut corner) and sounds perfect! :cool:

When you come to think of it, that album shouldn't have been a cutout. Definitely signifies some trouble. Is it United Artists Music and Records Group, or UA (Transamerica)? In other words, was it made before or after the management buy-out?

MG

Horace Silver - The Stylings of Silver - Blue label 70's reissue. Cut corner. Looks (w/ the exception of the cut corner) and sounds perfect! :cool:

When you come to think of it, that album shouldn't have been a cutout. Definitely signifies some trouble. Is it United Artists Music and Records Group, or UA (Transamerica)? In other words, was it made before or after the management buy-out?

MG

I bought a bundle of those blue label cutouts myself, back in the day. I have 'Royal Flush', 'Evolution' and 'Happenings' in these versions.

Manufactured by UA, if'n you can see it in the pics.

Yes, it's UA Music and Records Group, from the label. So that was after the management buy-out. If they were flogging off Horace Silvers dirt cheap to the cutout merchants, rather than keeping them as a steady seller, they must have been in REAL trouble.

I always assumed EMI bought the company as a decently going concern. This suggests otherwise.

MG

Purchased a number of those BN blue labels myself at the time and found not much to complain about as far as the audio was concerned :)

Yes, they are amazingly good and most seem to have the 'Van Gelder' in the runout. I suspect that the 'Happenings' is at least as good as the stereo/ear original (the mono of that one seems to be a duffer).

Some of the Blue/Black Liberties are amazingly good too. Particular mention for Freddie Roach's 'Down To Earth' on that pressing.

Manufactured by UA, if'n you can see it in the pics.

Looking at the labels I would say that these originate from 1977-78. I have a few UK issues from around that time (part of the first reissue batch after something of a haitus). BN issued a load of well known issues - 'Sidewinder', 'Bud Powell Vols 1 and 2' etc., as well as some relative obscurities such as Don Cherry 'Where Is Brooklyn' and 'Roots and Herbs'. Still have these pressings.