• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Manufactured by UA, if'n you can see it in the pics.

Yes, it's UA Music and Records Group, from the label. So that was after the management buy-out. If they were flogging off Horace Silvers dirt cheap to the cutout merchants, rather than keeping them as a steady seller, they must have been in REAL trouble.

I always assumed EMI bought the company as a decently going concern. This suggests otherwise.

MG

Between the late '60s and late '80s the "company" changed hands at least 2 times (probably 3). EMI took over after the previous owner defaulted on loans for manufacturing and distribution. EMI got the whole bunch "for a song". Distressed merchandise is what we call it over here.

Manufactured by UA, if'n you can see it in the pics.

Yes, it's UA Music and Records Group, from the label. So that was after the management buy-out. If they were flogging off Horace Silvers dirt cheap to the cutout merchants, rather than keeping them as a steady seller, they must have been in REAL trouble.

I always assumed EMI bought the company as a decently going concern. This suggests otherwise.

MG

Between the late '60s and late '80s the "company" changed hands at least 2 times (probably 3). EMI took over after the previous owner defaulted on loans for manufacturing and distribution. EMI got the whole bunch "for a song". Distressed merchandise is what we call it over here.

Thanks Chuck. Unless you catch Billboard every week, it's pretty hard over here to get to know what's going on in the industry.

MG

Reading Ahley Kahn's 'House That Trane Built' book has got me pulling out my Impulse vinyl, starting with these:

Yusef Lateef 'Live At Pep's' (Impulse stereo original)

Quincy Jones 'The Quintessence' (UK Impulse 70s reissue - sounds great. HMV had an A1 set of master tape copies I think.)

JJ Johnson/Kai Winding 'The Great Kai and JJ' (Impulse stereo original, A-1)

Some real gems on this label, not to mention all of those Coltranes...

Edited by sidewinder

Quincy Jones 'The Quintessence' (UK Impulse 70s reissue - sounds great. HMV had an A1 set of master tape copies I think.)

The only HMV Impulse record I've still got is "Genius + Soul = Jazz". Looking at the runoff on that, there's what appear to be Impulse master numbers - A 2A and A 2B. So I assumed that HMV got stampers from ABC. Bill Doggett's "Wow", Della Reese's "Live" and Percy Mayfield's "My jug & I" all appear to have ABC or Tangerine master numbers.

MG

I think you're correct. I seem to recall reading that UK masters were used in the most recent CD issue of 'A Love Supreme' - being the best surviving audio source. I have a couple of HMV mono Impulses of the Mingus material but was disappointed with the sound though. Will have to check them out again.

I think you're correct. I seem to recall reading that UK masters were used in the most recent CD issue of 'A Love Supreme' - being the best surviving audio source. I have a couple of HMV mono Impulses of the Mingus material but was disappointed with the sound though. Will have to check them out again.

That's interesting. My 2nd copy of "A love supreme" is a UK MCA pressing. It has the master number MCL1648 A/B. But it also has, crossed out, IMPL8001. I think that was the master number given by Anchor, who distributed ABC/Impulse here between EMI and MCA. So it looks like Anchor didn't get the EMI stampers when they took over. Funny...

MG

John Coltrane - The Stardust Session - Prestige mid-70's two-fer.

I've got that one - love the photo of Trane in deep thought on the cover. Nice music with Wilbur Harden too, will dig it out today.

Yeah, this photo as reproduced here has quite a bit more impact than the one that comes with the cd. :tup

:cool:

Edited by Parkertown

Budd Johnson--Ya! Ya! (Argo)

Oh my - a great Texas Tenor player I had (almost) forgotten about. Has this one been issued on CD?

MG

Not to my knowledge, but I did recently find a used Japanese mini-LP CD reissue of Off the Wall, another of his Argo recordings.

There's also the excellent, Let's Swing, on OJC.