• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And let me guess, a Liberty-era jacket!

Nope - NY USA/43W61st ! :D

And an inner sleeve saying "27 years of Blue Note"?

MG

I love going to a certain Boston record store just to hear owners make fun of vinyl snobs like this. They put me in stiches! Music lover forever.

It's all in good fun, mate, even from the "snob" end!

Pharoah Sanders - Black Unity - (Impulse white-label) strange they didn't list all the various ethnic instruments that the group plays; I'm hearing koto and harmonium, but they're not listed anywhere on the LP.

I don't think you're hearing a koto; I think you're hearing a kora, a West African harp/lute, which Pharoah always calls a balapone or bailaphone, because he was confused. (He made the same mistake n "Thembi".) The bala or balafon is a West African marimba-like instrument. So that's accounted for in the sleeve notes; Pharoah and Larry are both credited as playing that. Thembi says in the sleeve notes that Pharoah sometimes includes a koto in the band, but he doesn't actually go so far as to say they're used on THIS album. (And he avoids mentioning balafons :))

I wonder if the harmonium-like sound is the two basses bowed in a strange way. It's a while since I listened to this LP.

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg