• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the days when I reviewed a lot of mainstream (i.e. non-rock) pop singers in concerts and clubs, I always looked forward to a Mathis performance. His brand of timbral variation might not be to your taste (I had no problem there), but his ear and technical expertise were remarkable, especially when it came to using the microphone as an extension of his vocal means and intentions. Also, again with the boundaries of the chosen style, Mathis probably had the best charts in the business. As for emotion, "Piece of Dreams" (among others) never failed.

Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane - from the mid-70s Prestige two-fer of the same name.

I've also got an OJC Lp of this on the way...but I found the two-fer last nite for only $4.50.

The other set included in the two-fer is "The Cats", which I already have an OJC Lp of...

It'll be interesting which ones win the shootout. So far, this two-fer sounds just great. :tup

OK. I have Pee Wee Crayton's album on my lap and these are the notes on the back:

"Pee Wee is as gross a misnomer as labeling a fat man, Tiny. Pee Wee stands close to six-foot tall.

And when Pee Wee Crayton throws back his head, and wails the cry of the blues - he towers a mighty colossus!

He took to singing like a boy takes to strawerry jam. It came naturally, effortlessly.

When someone thrust a battered guitar in his lap, his strong, brown hands curled around it. He caressed the strings and folk poetry leapt forth.

PEE WEE CRAYTON. That's all there is in this "Crown" Album.

Some of the songs are biting and barbaric. Desolate lonliness and black despair often creep into his music. Always, there is an aura of "funky" earthiness and vitality that radiates about Pee Wee Crayton.

When he isn't singing, he basks in the solo spotlight, playing guitar.

Backgrounds are supplied by a hard-rockin' rhythm section, aided and abetted by a raw-boned, gutty tenor sax.

Pee Wee wrote all the tunes. Half are vocals, half instrumental. Big

Crayton-hits "Texas Hop" and "Blues After Hours" are included.

In the honest, compassionate, virile style of Pee Wee Crayton, all that is blues is projected.

If you enjoy the blues, unadulterated and pure, we enthusiastically recommend... PEE WEE CRAYTON!

John Marlo"

Track List:

Side 1

Texas Hop

Blues After Hours

Phone Call From My Baby

California Women

Side 2

Blues in My Heart

Pee Wee's Boogie

Old Fashioned Baby

Blues For My Baby

My Everything

Good stuff. There is no personnel list, so the excellent backup which seems to consist of a piano, sax, drums and bass is anonymous. Too bad.

I picked up the Pee Wee Crayton CDs this morning. No discography included in the sleeve notes of either, but some personnel details given. Some cuts with Harry Edison, Ben Webster, Jay McShann. Is your LP Crown 5175? I'll try to work out who's on which cuts later today.

MG

OK Patricia, I’ve had a chance to go through the sleeve notes for my two CDs and compare them to the track list you provided last week. Then I thought that, since top whack jazz musicians were on some of his sessions, I’d check Lord’s discography and have included what I’ve found in that (not much).

Track List:

Side 1

Texas Hop – David Lee Johnson (pno), Buddy Floyd (ts), Bill Davis (bs), Al “Cake” Witchard (d)

Blues After Hours – as for “Texas hop” but omit Floyd

Phone Call From My Baby – no info

California Women – no info

Side 2

Blues in My Heart – not in my CDs

Pee Wee's Boogie – no info

Old Fashioned Baby – poss as for “Blues after hours”

Blues For My Baby - orig issue CLP5175 Jay McShann (pno), Witchard (d) unk others

My Everything – orig issue CLP5175 there’s a hint that this may be same session as above

The ones I’ve noted with “no info” were originally issued on Crown CLP5175. “No info” relates to what’s on the sleeve notes of my CDs; there is probably information available somewhere on these sessions.

The sleeve notes mention the following names in relation to other tracks on the CDs: Ben Webster, Harry Edison, Jack La Rue (one of Pee Wee’s regular pianists) and Arnold Ross (the pianist who was in the original “Sounds of Synanon”). (According to Lord, which is not very helpful, Ernie Royal, Joe Comfort and Alvin Stoller were on the Edison/Webster session.) On some other tracks on the CD I’ve heard a tenor player who sounds a lot like Maxwell Davis (general factotum at Modern, Aladdin, Imperial and Specialty in this period). There’s also an alto player who is, to me, somewhat reminiscent in places of Sonny Criss. But in other places he doesn’t sound like him. Again according to Lord, Willard McDaniel was pianist on at least one session.

Any of the CLP5175 tracks may have been recorded at the same sessions as these other tracks. Without the postwar blues discography, one simply can’t tell. Mind you, in the light of the paucity of info (some of which appears to be incorrect, some of which is definitely incorrect) in Lord, there might not be much to find in a blues discography.

There appears to be another track on CLP5175 that you didn’t list. This is “Tired of travelin’”. That’s another for which there’s no info in my sleeve notes.

The stuff appears to have been recorded between 1948 and 1951.

Sorry there isn’t any more to say.

Oh, except that I’m very pleased I’ve got these two CDs; thanks for bringing this up, Patricia. I might have waited a long time before deciding to get them (and missed them as I missed one of the Slim Harpo CDs).

MG

Sorry there isn’t any more to say.

Oh, except that I’m very pleased I’ve got these two CDs; thanks for bringing this up, Patricia. I might have waited a long time before deciding to get them (and missed them as I missed one of the Slim Harpo CDs).

MG

Please don't apologize. I can't believe you found the musicians that you did.

THANK YOU so much MG. I really appreciate your finding this for me. You're a love. :wub:

Edited by patricia

Johnny Cash: A Hundred Highways

........Johnny's final statement........

to have it reproduced in this fidelity is something unique, and actually quite gut-renching. The American Recordings of Cash(on vinyl) are amazing, period!!! I'm glad and sad, at the same time, that I have them.

The truth, warmth and honesty Cash emotes is so simple, yet impossible to be ignored. So much music pales in comparison.

I'd love to see Ruben and Dylan get together in the next year or two.....

Previously: Kenny Dorham - Matador (United Artists Japanese pressing) side one contains some of the sickest hard-bop ever recorded. :tup:tup

Now: Clifford Thornton - Freedom & Unity (Third World original) I'd go so far as to say I prefer Thornton's trombone playing to his cornet work. But that's just me and my alter-ego!

Sunny Murray 'Big Chief' (Pathé)

with Bernard Vitet, Ken Terroade, François Tusques, Beb Guerin, Alan Silva, etc...

One of my favorite Murray LPs!

:tup:tup

Yeah, that Murray band was pretty wild. Was lucky to hear them live quite a number of times. Sonny Murray live is a total experience!