• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gerry Mulligan Meets Stan Getz - Verve V-8535 - Mono reissue with different cover...surely a 60's pressing...

though slightly warped, vinyl plays just great when clamped and the cover is close to perfect, not that this redone cover is anything to write home about...m_meets_sg.gif

Edited by Parkertown

Depeche Mode - Some Great Reward

whoa...this is what I've been missing...for years...

Kinda cool to be discovering them now... :cool:

similar thing (?) happened to me with The Cure sometime last year (depeche mode are still on my explore list)

Basil Kirchin 'Abstractions of the Industrial North' (Trunk Records). Where else can you hear Tubby Hayes, Led Zep's Jimmy Page and Kenny Wheeler on the same slab of vinyl?

'Kenny Clarke/Francy Boland/Sahib Shihab/Joe Harris' (I Giganti Del Jazz). Usually avoid this series but this one is an exception.

Pee Wee Crayton - self-titled on Crown label.

I had never heard of Crayton, but saw this album and was curious. He's a very good blues guitarist. Good thing I only paid $1 for this album. I think the previous owner was painting and had this on their turntable. There are tiny paint spots on Side 1, which cause the needle to be a little unsure. Not a big problem, but a little one.

Before that, the soundtrack from "Pretty Baby", which was the best part, by far of the film. Early Dixieland. Love it.

Edited by patricia

I had never heard of Crayton, but saw this album and was curious. He's a very good blues guitarist.

didn't Ornette Coleman have one of his first professional jobs with Crayton?

I had never heard of Crayton, but saw this album and was curious. He's a very good blues guitarist.

didn't Ornette Coleman have one of his first professional jobs with Crayton?

Yep. I've never heard Crayton's music, either.

It's easy to think of Crayton as a poor man's T-Bone Walker, but he was a bit different - even more laid back and, on occasion, inclined to do a C&W song or two. Very nice guitarist. He made a very good album with Johnny Otis' band in the mid '70s for Blues Spectrum. Much better sound than on his 78s :) And he was really cool.

"Now you're leavin' me baby,

Oh yes,

Don't forget to close the door."

Now that is MF COOL!

MG

OK. I have Pee Wee Crayton's album on my lap and these are the notes on the back:

"Pee Wee is as gross a misnomer as labeling a fat man, Tiny. Pee Wee stands close to six-foot tall.

And when Pee Wee Crayton throws back his head, and wails the cry of the blues - he towers a mighty colossus!

He took to singing like a boy takes to strawerry jam. It came naturally, effortlessly.

When someone thrust a battered guitar in his lap, his strong, brown hands curled around it. He caressed the strings and folk poetry leapt forth.

PEE WEE CRAYTON. That's all there is in this "Crown" Album.

Some of the songs are biting and barbaric. Desolate lonliness and black despair often creep into his music. Always, there is an aura of "funky" earthiness and vitality that radiates about Pee Wee Crayton.

When he isn't singing, he basks in the solo spotlight, playing guitar.

Backgrounds are supplied by a hard-rockin' rhythm section, aided and abetted by a raw-boned, gutty tenor sax.

Pee Wee wrote all the tunes. Half are vocals, half instrumental. Big

Crayton-hits "Texas Hop" and "Blues After Hours" are included.

In the honest, compassionate, virile style of Pee Wee Crayton, all that is blues is projected.

If you enjoy the blues, unadulterated and pure, we enthusiastically recommend... PEE WEE CRAYTON!

John Marlo"

Track List:

Side 1

Texas Hop

Blues After Hours

Phone Call From My Baby

California Women

Side 2

Blues in My Heart

Pee Wee's Boogie

Old Fashioned Baby

Blues For My Baby

My Everything

Good stuff. There is no personnel list, so the excellent backup which seems to consist of a piano, sax, drums and bass is anonymous. Too bad.

Edited by patricia

I actually haven't got Pee Wee's Modern recordings - just his Imperial and Blues Spectrum ones. You've inspired me to get the two CDs of Modern material issued here on Ace. I'll order them from my blues man in the market tomorrow.

Here's a link to vol 2, which gives you a bit of background on Pee Wee. No personnel, however, Ace is pretty good about listing personnel on its sleeve notes so, when I get the CDs, I'll post the personnel.

http://www.acerecords.co.uk/content.php?pa...=59&release=723

MG

PS Mostly, Modern used Maxwell Davis to do arrangements and play sax. Maxwell is one of the great under-rated sax players.

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

Here's a link to vol 2, which gives you a bit of background on Pee Wee. No personnel, however, Ace is pretty good about listing personnel on its sleeve notes so, when I get the CDs, I'll post the personnel.

Thanks MG. The backup is so good that it struck me as a shame that they weren't given credit for the great work they did on this album.