Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

Thank you Chuck. Can you supply some details and the  rest of the tracks. Is the content put together from 2 ore more LP's?

jazzcorner,

Here's the discogs entry: https://www.discogs.com/release/9925022-Red-Rodney-Quintets-The-Red-Rodney-Quintets

from that page:
1-12 originally released as Modern Music From Chicago (Fantasy 3-208);
13-19 released on Red Rodney & Kai Winding, Gerry Mulligan & Brew Moore/Broadway (Prestige 8306) (the actual original release of these tracks was the 10" The New Sounds).

:) 

6 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

jazzcorner,

Here's the discogs entry: https://www.discogs.com/release/9925022-Red-Rodney-Quintets-The-Red-Rodney-Quintets

from that page:
1-12 originally released as Modern Music From Chicago (Fantasy 3-208);
13-19 released on Red Rodney & Kai Winding, Gerry Mulligan & Brew Moore/Broadway (Prestige 8306) (the actual original release of these tracks was the 10" The New Sounds).

:) 

Thank you very much

:tup:D ;-}}

17 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

Thank you Chuck. Can you supply some details and the  rest of the tracks. Is the content put together from 2 ore more LP's?

It is coupled with Red's first leader date - a 10 inch Prestige lp from 1951. Personnel is Jimmy Ford (alto), Phil Raphael (piano), Phil Leshin (bass) and Phil Brown (drums). This date was also included in this -

3124FEPCMZL.jpg

2 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

It is coupled with Red's first leader date - a 10 inch Prestige lp from 1951. Personnel is Jimmy Ford (alto), Phil Raphael (piano), Phil Leshin (bass) and Phil Brown (drums). This date was also included in this -

3124FEPCMZL.jpg

Ira told me in an interview that Red told  him to play tenor on the "Modern Music from Chicago"  date and then when they got to the last tune, an uptempo number, Red insisted that Ira switch from tenor to trumpet -- this because, Ira said, "he knew that by then my [trumpet] chops would be down." Summing things up, Ira said: "He whipped game on me."

No, just always interested when his name pops up. Not at all a "familiar" name in the history books. He came back off the road (after Maynard, I think?) and lived out his life in Houston, only sometimes being seen there. And I had just listened to him on a locally recorded Arnette Cobb record, literally a day before seeing the reference here.

The guy played with Tadd Dameron for crying out loud, he was more than just a name!!!!

I saw Jimmy Ford with Maynard's big band on a Birdland All Stars tour in the late 1950e. He got up to take a solo --a good one, too, very fiery -- and in the midst of it he had a violent spasm, one hand came off the horn and flapped up into the air above his head. I wondered about that, and even at the tender age of 13 or so, I had an idea.

16 hours ago, JSngry said:

No, just always interested when his name pops up. Not at all a "familiar" name in the history books. He came back off the road (after Maynard, I think?) and lived out his life in Houston, only sometimes being seen there. And I had just listened to him on a locally recorded Arnette Cobb record, literally a day before seeing the reference here.

The guy played with Tadd Dameron for crying out loud, he was more than just a name!!!!

I did know his name only from the picture in Jazz Master´s of the 40´s, where he with the Tadd Dameron group from Royal Roost. On the broadcasts from those sessions he does not appear.

And right, I saw him .... I think it was in the mid 80´s with Arnette Cobb. As much as I remember he was a middle aged, a bit hefty guy with red hair, and played some really fine alto. I don´t know why I didn´t go to the bar and talk to him during intermission, maybe I would have asked him about his time with Tadd. I remember that was a three horn thing with Arnette Cobb, there was also a trumpet player, who´s name I don´t remember and he was not so great. 

Cobb of course was on crutches, but stood in front of the mike, didn´t sit down, played great and as much as I remember he drank whisky.... 

13 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

43220036yq.jpg

I´ll never forget when I bought it , I think it was 1977 and I was still at high school. Those years, when I was just exploring be bop, and at the same time free jazz and electric jazz. 

It was spring, and when I got home and spinned it, there was that french radio voice tellin somethin about Jean Sebastian Bach and Mozard, which I couldnt associate with the music, and then while this french man is still doin his bla bla, the group comes in with "Rifftide" , and those fast versions of Wee and Ornithology, and the first time I heard Good Bait and Lady Bird. 

I remember how much I loved Moody´s playing. Until then the only tenor players I knew and saw live were Griffin and Liebman. And Moody does some screams here, that sound more like post 60´s , 70´s tenor playing and I thought "almost like Liebman ". 

Miles is so great here, first class bop trumpet, equal to Diz and Fats and Kenny..