• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now on my 'table:

MS05NDQzLmpwZWc.jpeg

Carmen McRae - Velvet Soul (Groove Merchant)
Reissue of two Groove Merchant LPs: 
-  Ms. Jazz (1974) - with Zoot Sims (ts); Bucky Pizzarelli (g); Tom Garvin (p, kybd); Paul West (b); Jimmy Madison (d)
- It Takes a Whole Lot of Human Feeling (1974) - with Joe Pass (g); Dick Shreve (p); Ray Brown (b); Frank Severino (d); Larry Bunker (perc, vib)

Excellent ....

5 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Is that where the record label got its name?

I'm sure it wasn't. Although this provincial pub did have a bit of a jazz aspect. The only other time I dropped in there I found a trad band rehearsing Morton Red Hot Pepper numbers, and getting all the voicings right!

8 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now on my 'table:

My02MjY3LmpwZWc.jpeg

My05NTA0LmpwZWc.jpeg

I have this. Is it possible it was during the time, when BN had slowed down it´s business , so 1976 /77 that period. 
I haven´t listened to it recently, I´m not soooo much into vocal jazz with the exception of a few, Billy Eckstine (with the bop band), Earl Coleman, Johny Hartman etc.... and if female singer than Sarah with that first session with "Lover Man"....), but I bought this one since I think somewere is written "feat. Dizzy Gillespie"..... well if I remember right, I didn´t hear much Diz, is it possible that he just plays on his  mouthpeace only  on "T´Aint Nobody´s Bizness.." ??? 

15 hours ago, adh1907 said:

Interesting. Do you remember where that was?

You could see some major US jazzers in the most obscure places in the 70s. I didn’t go but I remember seeing posters for Dexter Gordon mid 70s in Preston,  appearing in a pub or a small club. 

Anthony

London

Well the first half of the 70´s was an extremly rough period for acoustic jazz veterans... I remember how it was and how it started to become better in the late 70´s . 

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I have this. Is it possible it was during the time, when BN had slowed down it´s business , so 1976 /77 that period. 
I haven´t listened to it recently, I´m not soooo much into vocal jazz with the exception of a few, Billy Eckstine (with the bop band), Earl Coleman, Johny Hartman etc.... and if female singer than Sarah with that first session with "Lover Man"....), but I bought this one since I think somewere is written "feat. Dizzy Gillespie"..... well if I remember right, I didn´t hear much Diz, is it possible that he just plays on his  mouthpeace only  on "T´Aint Nobody´s Bizness.." ??? 

Dizzy solos briefly on a couple cuts -- but it's 100% Carmen's show.

2 hours ago, porcy62 said:

Ni0yNTAzLmpwZWc.jpeg

Just received it from Japan with another two records. I'll give up buying records on discogs outside EU. VAT, and the shipping cost, due to the new discogs policy, rise the prices to the insane category.

I've started contacting the seller to see if they sell off,Discogs, some do. Pay by PayPal and you have the same protection.

Also worth googling the seller name, sometimes brings up a standalone website for sales.

But the VAT is a huge issue generally now.

59 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I've started contacting the seller to see if they sell off,Discogs, some do. Pay by PayPal and you have the same protection.

Also worth googling the seller name, sometimes brings up a standalone website for sales.

But the VAT is a huge issue generally now.

Sometimes I did the same, anyway I prefer buy in EU where shipping and VAT aren't such a pain.

Edited by porcy62

On 4/18/2022 at 3:50 AM, BillF said:

Saw Albany during that 1972 visit to the UK.  It was in an upstairs room in a pub, solo on an untuned upright piano. Not the best for the great master!

One of the minor complaints in the AMG review is that the piano was untuned.