Jump to content

What vinyl are you spinning right now??


wolff
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • sidewinder

    4949

  • paul secor

    4123

  • clifford_thornton

    3734

  • jeffcrom

    2810

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 9/30/2022 at 1:27 PM, mjazzg said:

Only seen The Sea&Cake once but that was great

 

I think The Sea & Cake are better/more consistent live when it comes to that crew (5ive Style weren't around long enough). Seen them quite a few times as well. But Tortoise will always hold a special place... first few times I saw them knocked my socks clean off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Pim said:

5-AEC7-B08-0-B12-42-AC-81-A7-4-AC7-CB184
original 1956 Dutch pressing in near mint condition. Not worth a lot but I love vinyl with a story :)

4 hours ago, soulpope said:

Feat. a superb Rhythm Section .....

 This  Mulligan Sextet among my top favorites from the West Coast

42835980bg.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Pim said:

5-AEC7-B08-0-B12-42-AC-81-A7-4-AC7-CB184
 

:tup

I remember gazing at that album with its striking image in a shop window in Chorlton, Manchester in 1959 when I was 19-year-old student. It was probably brand new. American music took a year or two to reach the UK in those days.:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, BillF said:

:tup

I remember gazing at that album with its striking image in a shop window in Chorlton, Manchester in 1959 when I was 19-year-old student. It was probably brand new. American music took a year or two to reach the UK in those days.:)

Music must have been a lot harder to obtain those days. Do you still own all the records you bought back then Bill?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Pim said:

Music must have been a lot harder to obtain those days. Do you still own all the records you bought back then Bill?

Of course, there was far less available in those days, but it didn't matter as records were very expensive. An LP cost about a third of a student's weekly income! A typical collection might have a dozen items in it, so of course, you got to know every note! That's why you would put up with bad radio reception to hear other jazz from the Voice of America or American Forces Network in Europe. (The BBC didn't like jazz and at one time had bans on both boogie woogie and bebop!)

No, I no longer own the records I bought back then. Keeping pace with the times in the last decade I've been using streaming. So my jazz listening career stretches from 78s to Spotify! :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

OS04NDk5LmpwZWc.jpeg

ECM pressing - remember this tour when it happened, with Elton Dean and Hugh Hopper in the band - and Gary Windo. 45 years ago !

Too early for me. I saw the Carla band 20 years later - with Lew Soloff, Gary Valente and Andy Sheppard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, BillF said:

Too early for me. I saw the Carla band 20 years later - with Lew Soloff, Gary Valente and Andy Sheppard.

Same here. Saw them a few times. Also around that timeframe, the duet tour of Carla Bley and Steve Swallow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Primary

Luis Garcia - For Those Who Chant [Blue Thumb Records, 1972]

This is great, Latin Miles meets Santana with Joe Henderson, what more could you ask for on a sunny Autumn day in London town. Thanks to @jazzbowhose post in another thread of this prompted my purchase

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Primary

Luis Garcia - For Those Who Chant [Blue Thumb Records, 1972]

This is great, Latin Miles meets Santana with Joe Henderson, what more could you ask for on a sunny Autumn day in London town. Thanks to @jazzbowhose post in another thread of this prompted my purchase

Also featuring the bass mastery of Stanley Clarke in the early 70's ....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Charles Lloyd - Oceans (Blue Note). A second LP of 3 Lloyd trio recordings with him noodling away. These are pleasant if rather lifeless records. I can see playing these at dinner time or if I'm having trouble sleeping. I wonder if Lloyd still thinks he's making records for ECM?

Trios: Ocean by Charles Lloyd Reviews and Tracks - Metacritic

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   1 member


×
×
  • Create New...