• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Pim said:

td6HKP.md.jpgtd6Jl1.md.jpg

I got that Verve album Wynton with Wes in the late 70´s and since I loved Wes´s guitar I tried to buy what I could find. This one and the one with Miles´ "Rhythm Section + Johnny Griffin" (Full House or so ?) were my favourites and still are. 
The Bud Powell on Verve I had as a double LP with a brown cover and painting on it I think. 

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I got that Verve album Wynton with Wes in the late 70´s and since I loved Wes´s guitar I tried to buy what I could find. This one and the one with Miles´ "Rhythm Section + Johnny Griffin" (Full House or so ?) were my favourites and still are. 
The Bud Powell on Verve I had as a double LP with a brown cover and painting on it I think. 

Oh yes the album with Johnny Griffin (Full House) is just as great as this one. Wes and Wynton is a killer combination. About the Powell: I never got why Powells Verve stuff are generally hold in lower regard than the stuff on Blue Note. Especially this album (Jazz Giant) is among the best Bud I know. 

Now spinning:

32-B04484-3909-41-FC-8-AD0-3-BCAA6-A48-C

1 hour ago, Pim said:

Oh yes the album with Johnny Griffin (Full House) is just as great as this one. Wes and Wynton is a killer combination. About the Powell: I never got why Powells Verve stuff are generally hold in lower regard than the stuff on Blue Note. Especially this album (Jazz Giant) is among the best Bud I know. 

Now spinning:

:tup:D

Playing now

43071088vx.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner

19 hours ago, Pim said:

Now spinning:

Well, the question if Powell´s Verve stuff ist hold in lower regard thant the stuff on BlueNote........
I think it´s from the listener´s point of view or a question of taste. 
I really think there are many who like the Verve more and maybe would say if I could keep only one Bud Powell Album it might be "Jazz Giant". 
The difference is that the Verve albums is more focused on the piano. There is no solo space for the drums and the bass and having Ray Brown and Max Roach one could have done more with it, not only a supporting role. 
That´s a question of taste or a question what you prefer. Many music lovers and also students who want to learn or transcribe Bud´s solos are interested only in HIM, and don´t even remark that it is or should be a trio record. 
In my case, or from my point of view or my aproach to listening, it´s a loss if you have THE Max Roach and don´t really HEAR him, or have a Ray Brown who was the greatest soloist on bass (having "One Bass Hit" in mind, Brown with Gillespie´s Big Band !!!!) and you don´t hear him better, and I will miss something. 
In my case the first Bud I heard was with Bird and Fats and Art Blakey and you hear the whole thing, you hear when Bud starts a solo he might pick up some phrase or idea from the fellow soloists and build up on that. 
That´s why I like the BN albums more, it´s more the guys playing together. 

About Sonny Stitt´s album: Yes his MUSE albums are very nice. He is one of my favourites from the first minute on, my first album was that blue Prestige album from 1949 with those strange angry birds on the cover, and by the way it also had Bud and Max Roach, so this is an album I enjoy more than the Verve trio albums. 
Sad story with Stitt, with Dexter, same thing. In the 70´s or early 80´s when I saw them live, you still could hear their greatness and they were living legends, but both destroyed and dumb in their heads due to alcool....just a tragedy....

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

A beauty ....

Should have said ‘Edel’ of course instead of ‘Edsel’ as there is no way that this one is an automotive safety disaster !

The pressing and sound are first rate. Cover is fine, although looks to be a decent scan but has the bonus of a nice insert with extra notes. Very happy with this one.

The Tone Poet stereo masters of Blue Train is predictably first rate. Kenny Burrell arriving later today !

1 hour ago, BillF said:

:tup

I’ve gone with the (great) mono for many years but this stereo version from separate reel by RVG sounds equally wonderful. Not bad considering recorded in his parents’ front room !

Edited by sidewinder