• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, Pim said:

D6836-A3-B-4-C44-4-EB3-91-DE-68-D0-F3-AD

5-C2424-E8-DDE2-43-D2-A509-096-F006574-E

452-F82-AC-2-BF5-48-A8-8132-DF5-F6-B66-A

I've been streaming that Grant Green a lot recently, building up to a Tone Poet purchase

1 hour ago, bresna said:

Charles Lloyd - Oceans (Blue Note). A second LP of 3 Lloyd trio recordings with him noodling away. These are pleasant if rather lifeless records. I can see playing these at dinner time or if I'm having trouble sleeping. I wonder if Lloyd still thinks he's making records for ECM?

Trios: Ocean by Charles Lloyd Reviews and Tracks - Metacritic

Lloyd on Blue Note is very different to Lloyd in ECM to my ears. Different bands and to some extent different approach.  I prefer the ECM releases, there's great depth in that run, but like the BN enough apart from 'Wild Man dance' which I heard as a misstep.  I disagree about 'Ocean' as I don't hear any noodling.

Primary

Pharoah Sanders - Africa [Timeless, Netherlands 1987]

My first Pharoah LP, I think, purchased on release

On 10/7/2022 at 0:23 PM, sidewinder said:

OS04NDk5LmpwZWc.jpeg

ECM pressing - remember this tour when it happened, with Elton Dean and Hugh Hopper in the band - and Gary Windo. 45 years ago !

Had a ratty US pressing at one point that could deserve a clean replacement. Excellent music. Alan Braufman told me he also toured with that band around the same time.

On 8-10-2022 at 6:28 PM, mjazzg said:

I've been streaming that Grant Green a lot recently, building up to a Tone Poet purchase.

Took me a while to really connect with the music but it’s almost my favorite Green date by now. Hancock’s playing is so subtle and beautiful on it. Still love his hint to It Ain’t Nessicarily So on one of the tracks :)

the Tone Poet sounds amazing. So bright!

20 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Primary

Dave Holland Trio - Triplicate [ECM, Germany 1988]

This has aged well, interesting to hear Coleman again away from his own groups.

Good .... for me "Jumpin' In" was the finest hour of Steve Coleman (and most likely the strongest Dave Holland group release on ECM) ....

11 minutes ago, bresna said:

I was going to buy this but my local stores seem to have all sold out rather quickly.

Had no problem finding a copy at my ‘local’. There was talk about the Craft UK distributor going bust but if so (and I have no evidence that they have) doesn’t seem to have affected this one. Nice pressing.

’Futuristic’ was also originally recorded in binaural, according to the (nice) notes - bizarrely.

Edited by sidewinder

20 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Had no problem finding a copy at my ‘local’. There was talk about the Craft UK distributor going bust but if so (and I have no evidence that they have) doesn’t seem to have affected this one. Nice pressing.

https://craftrecordings.com/pages/uk-store-update

When asked, through the address at that very page, they replied that they "are no longer the Fulfilment partner of this store." and referred to Concord. They, in turn, say that they "are going to ask the US partner to fulfill outstanding orders", which obviously will not work for sold-out titles. But I suppose there are still copies out there.

Now listening to this LP:

OS03ODA2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Dave Holland Quintet - Seeds of Time (ECM, 1985)
Badass.  The whole contrapuntal thing is so cool.  New Orleans, Mingus, Braxton. It's all in there.

Looking at discogs, I see that there are two different versions of this album sleeve.  I wonder why.

OC02ODc3LmpwZWc.jpeg

A question of permissions to use the art in different countries, maybe?  Who knows.

Not relevant to the (terrific) music, of course.  But us music nerds, we notice these things.  :)   

Edited by HutchFan

On 10/10/2022 at 8:29 AM, soulpope said:

Good .... for me "Jumpin' In" was the finest hour of Steve Coleman (and most likely the strongest Dave Holland group release on ECM) ....

Jumpin' In was my long-time favorite Dave Holland from the 80s -- until I heard Seeds of Time for the first time (only just earlier this year).  

Both are really good.  :)  But -- push comes to shove -- I'd put Seeds at the top of the heap today. 

13 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now listening to this LP:

OS03ODA2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Dave Holland Quintet - Seeds of Time (ECM, 1985)
Badass.  The whole contrapuntal thing is so cool.  New Orleans, Mingus, Braxton. It's all in there.

Looking at discogs, I see that there are two different versions of this album sleeve.  I wonder why.

OC02ODc3LmpwZWc.jpeg

A question of permissions to use the art in different countries, maybe?  Who knows.

Not relevant to the (terrific) music, of course.  But us music nerds, we notice these things.  :)   

I played my copy for the first time in ages recently and noticed the cover variation too. I prefer the European cover which is a shame as my copy is the US one. Off hand I can't think of other such ECM variants but I've not looked...yet 😀