• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Pim said:
[IMG] 
Got this excellent French pressing in the mail yesterday. How I love this session. Most of the musicians are pretty obscure but they know how to swing. Original and playful compositions. Pity that Parker was such a troubled person. His tone on the baritone is very powerful! I like Bill Swindell too by the way. 

Actually I don´t know nothing about Leo Parker´s live but I heard all his stuff on the good old Savoy albums, with Tadd, Fats, Dexter and so on. 
It seems that he was not very active in the 50´s. 
I also like his other album for BN "Rollin´ with Leo". Obscure musicians yeah. This is quite unusual for BN. I would have preferred some from the house musicians of BN. Yeah, they swing, but it could be more, better sounding bass and better drummer.....

7 hours ago, mjazzg said:

The second is a favourite but don't know the first one. Seems daft to ask if it's any good as I haven't yet been disappointed by a GH album

It's every bit as good as you'd expect. The album features a larger ensemble than the LP from the Berlin Jazzfest. The highlight is Hampel's "Waltz for 11 Universes in a Corridor" -- a terrific, mesmerizing cut.

20 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Jazz related threads there can be pure comedy. Hot takes and asinine commentary galore 

Ain’t that the truth. Plus the way some of the posters constantly refer to the artists by first name e.g. ‘Stanley’, as if they are an old personal friend. Plus the diversions into obscurities such as cycle runs in St Louis. Pure comedy, zero information.

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

It's every bit as good as you'd expect. The album features a larger ensemble than the LP from the Berlin Jazzfest. The highlight is Hampel's "Waltz for 11 Universes in a Corridor" -- a terrific, mesmerizing cut.

Interesting, thanks. I can take "terrific, mesmerising"