What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

35 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Pleased to be of service. Now I need to check out the one you confused it with, I don't know it

Honest J's have an original 'True Blue' for sale. It'll cost you £3000 to complete your set...

Yeah, I saw that one.

R-2490740-1286900666_grande.jpg?v=168465

Tone Poet. Pretty impressed with the sound on this one.

• Replies 55.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

That’s good - it has needed a decent reissue. Just too bad they didn’t put it out on Tone Poet to do the sleeve justice. 

Strangely enough, all originals of ‘Happenings’ that I have heard have been on the noisy side. Mono was worse than stereo in this respect. Having said that, the sonics are stupendous.

And  😀

Bob, when and where did you score all those NY Blue Notes? 😄Seems like you have choice pressings of every 4000 series album worth having.

I have a late 60s Liberty pressing of Happenings, but I don't recall any exorbitant noise. I remember when I found it in the 90s. I had just started to discover Hutcherson and this album was unknown to me at that point. I was pleasantly surprised that they did a cover of "Maiden Voyage" and shelled out the 15 Euro, which seemed a lot to a poor student.

On 8/1/2023 at 1:08 PM, Daniel A said:

Bob, when and where did you score all those NY Blue Notes? 😄Seems like you have choice pressings of every 4000 series album worth having.

I have a late 60s Liberty pressing of Happenings, but I don't recall any exorbitant noise. I remember when I found it in the 90s. I had just started to discover Hutcherson and this album was unknown to me at that point. I was pleasantly surprised that they did a cover of "Maiden Voyage" and shelled out the 15 Euro, which seemed a lot to a poor student.

Several decades ago Daniel, couldn’t do it now !  Wish I’d started it earlier to be honest.

Around the turn of the millennium was good, you could still pick up some of these in stores and sites like the late lamented jazzinvinyl.com were going strong with their online sales. My best find in a physical shop was a mono first press ‘Out To Lunch’ in decent condition for....... £10. 😱

Regarding ‘Happenings’, my sample size for originals is only 2 so maybe I shouldn’t draw too many conclusions. I did notice a bit of distortion on the mono though. Funnily enough one of the best I have heard is a blue label ‘b’ pressing I have somewhere in the racks which exceeded all expectations.

It will be interesting to hear reports on the ‘Classic Series’ reissue when this comes out.

Edited by sidewinder

28 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Do they take donations of spare kidneys?

Or two...

34 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

It was always scarce -probably just the one pressing of a thousand or two for ‘True Blue’. It is one of the rarest and most sought after in the 4000 series.

I actually came quite close to getting an original for not that much money. Alas, it didn’t come to pass. 

£3000 for that original at Honest Jon’s is actually not too bad a price, according to discogs. 🤔

Yes, HJ don't tend to overinflate 

41 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

They were asking pretty silly money for those UA and ‘Jazz File’ pressings though.

Not so compared to current Discogs listings I didn't think but maybe I didn't check closely enough. I bought a couple of those one-offs and they at least compared ok

27 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

I held two original copies of True Blue at Academy Records on E. 12th St in NYC within the last three years. It was cool to do.

Ha! That makes me even more inclined to do the same

20 hours ago, sidewinder said:

bobby-huthcherson-happenings-front-1800-

NY USA stereo

All this chat about this I had to listen to my copy, a Liberty. No sound issues yet

5 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Not so compared to current Discogs listings I didn't think but maybe I didn't check closely enough. I bought a couple of those one-offs and they at least compared ok

I think they were asking £60 for ‘The Creeper’, which is pretty ridiculous in my book. ‘Off To The Races’ UA is also £100 !

10 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I think they were asking £60 for ‘The Creeper’, which is pretty ridiculous in my book. ‘Off To The Races’ UA is also £100 !

I think they're pricing off Discogs, currently £89 - £122, without VAT added. Current highest price sold is £89, median £49.

I don't deny it's mad but it's where the market's got to unfortunately. Mind you, it hasn't sold 😁

Is the album any good? Not sure I have heard it.

I was just chatting with Dmitry about these UA blue & black 'b' reissues' prices on another thread. I just can't believe that they are going for $100+ all over the place. I bought a bunch of these just a few years ago for less than $20 each.

I think my days of shopping for BN vinyl are just about over anyway, so no biggie for me. But if I were just getting into this... wow. It'd be painful.

MTEtOTQ3My5qcGVn.jpeg

Roy Ayers Ubiquity - He's Coming (Polydor, 1972)
Elemental 180 gm LP reissue

When I first heard the opening cut, "He's a Superstar," I assumed it was drawn from Jesus Christ Superstar, the musical.  But no.  Ayers co-wrote it with Myrnaleah Williams.  In fact, several tracks have funkified gospel themes, including the title cut.  It's music that's very much "of its time," but I love it. . . . I imagine that when Nicholas Payton talks about Black American Music (BAM), he's talking about precisely this sort of thing, music that ignores the lines between funk, soul, jazz, gospel, pop.  It's all stewed together here.

and

MS5qcGVn.jpeg

Willie Humphrey - New Orleans Clarinet (Smoky Mary, 1974)

Been enjoying the sounds of NOLA lately.  

1 hour ago, bresna said:

I was just chatting with Dmitry about these UA blue & black 'b' reissues' prices on another thread. I just can't believe that they are going for $100+ all over the place. I bought a bunch of these just a few years ago for less than $20 each.

I think my days of shopping for BN vinyl are just about over anyway, so no biggie for me. But if I were just getting into this... wow. It'd be painful.

Yeah, if they have VAN GELDER in the dead wax people will pay through the nose for them. Personally I can't imagine paying more than $20 for any of 'em, but times have certainly changed. When you factor in that even blue/white Liberty pressings of certain titles are going for hundreds of dollars, $100 for a 70s pressing seems downright reasonable. Insanity for sure!