What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

More NOLA clarinet:

Mi05MTY3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Jimmie Noone, Earl Hines - "At the Apex Club" 1928 (MCA, Jazz Heritage Series Vol. 14)
The music on Side A sounds great -- but the cuts on Side B sound even better with the addition of Lawson Buford's tuba (or string bass).  Love that bottom end bump!

If you'd care to sample, here's Noone's theme song, "Sweet Lorraine":

• Replies 55.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Yeah, if they have VAN GELDER in the dead wax people will pay through the nose for them. Personally I can't imagine paying more than $20 for any of 'em, but times have certainly changed. When you factor in that even blue/white Liberty pressings of certain titles are going for hundreds of dollars, $100 for a 70s pressing seems downright reasonable. Insanity for sure!

Not sure why, really, but to me, some of the Blue Note magic is lost just because of those black or white "B" labels. I just prefer to se the rotating blue/white label on the turntable. 🙂

10 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Around the turn of the millennium was good, you could still pick up some of these in stores and sites like the late lamented jazzinvinyl.com were going strong with their online sales. My best find in a physical shop was a mono first press ‘Out To Lunch’ in decent condition for....... £10. 

Incredible find! Not as sought after title maybe, but in 1998 I found a mono copy of Hubbard's 'Blue Spirits' for 9 Euro in a jazz record shop (Birka Jazz, which some might remember from their later web-only incarnation).

For some reason, the physical Birka store, while excellent, did not seem to attract enough customers. It sustained only a couple of years. It was situated only a block from the then location of more well-known Andra Jazz. However, Birka were kind of pioneers in going web-only already at the turn of the millennium.

Here is a picture from the Birka store:

StockholmSkivaff.BiorkaJazz250.jpg

Its owner, Torbjörn Sörhuus, was born in the same year as famed Andra Jazz owner Harald Hult, 1940, and had a similar history of starting out with a used book store, but also working as a journalist. After retiring from Birka Jazz, he wrote a fantastic book, loaded with rare pictures, covering just about all the record stores in Stockholm through the 20th century and up to modern times.

image001-230x254.jpg.5ff69dd0b0165fcedd65f283a80fd1e2.jpg

28 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Birka still has the excellent online database of jazz album covers. I could look at that all day.

Have saved the link among my favorits which I visit here and the.

In addition to that I do collect coverart books  ( see also special thread here at Organissimo) and have started a DSM thread at SHF's.

Playing now

46100376nw.jpg

13 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Yeah, if they have VAN GELDER in the dead wax people will pay through the nose for them. Personally I can't imagine paying more than $20 for any of 'em, but times have certainly changed. When you factor in that even blue/white Liberty pressings of certain titles are going for hundreds of dollars, $100 for a 70s pressing seems downright reasonable. Insanity for sure!

I'm a bit too late in the hole vinyl race. I don't have any original Blue Note record and I am curious to hear one in good condition. I am not in the financial position to pay a thousand euros for a single LP nor am I interested in doing so. The 3000 pounds True Blue copy: that's what I spend on vinyl in 3 years..... The two single LP's I spent most money on were Nathan Davis' Jazz Concert at a Benedictine Monastery and Mal Waldron's Spanish Bitch.

I do have some older Blue Note records: a Liberty pressing of Jackie McLean's 'Bout Soul and an early 70's copy of Lee Morgan's last album. I have to say they sound amazing. Also a near mint copy of Lee Morgan's The Gigolo early 70's US press that sounds flawless. I do love the idea that something that old could still sound so beautiful. My oldest LP is a Gerry Mulligan mono pressing from the Netherlands from 1956. I always think: my mom and dad were 5 and 6 years old when this was pressed. And who has owned it since then?

But with Blue Note vinyl I mostly own Japanese versions and those pressings sound so incredibly good to me. Especially those King pressings are really up into that Tone Poet league. I bought most of those Japanese pressings for something around 30 euros a piece which is of course more expensive than a cd but I am more a vinyl than a cd guy (though I still own more cd's than lp's).

I am also not a pressing fetishist or real audiphile. One pressing is good enough for me (as it sounds good of course). Not interested in buying multiple pressings from the same record as there's so much music yet to explore. One exception are my Blue Note 75th series of which I really dislike the sound. I gladly sold my copies of Bobby Hutcherson's Happenings and Hendersons Mode for Joe for 50 euros combined and be happy to replace them. I only have one of them left: Free for All by Art Blakey which sounds louzy as well.

Edited by Pim

IMG-4383.jpg

IMG-4384.jpg

IMG-4385.jpg

This afternoons playlist before going out for a walk with my two boys. 

This Cookers album is so freakin good. I hate the fact that I had to miss these guys in Rotterdam. They were about to perform there and then there was COVID. I never got the chance to see them :(

@david weissif you ever got the chance please visit us in Holland! Belgium or the western part of German would be fine as well. I’d take a long ride to see you guys perform. 

Edited by Pim

36 minutes ago, Pim said:

IMG-4383.jpg

IMG-4384.jpg

IMG-4385.jpg

This afternoons playlist before going out for a walk with my two boys. 

This Cookers album is so freakin good. I hate the fact that I had to miss these guys in Rotterdam. They were about to perform there and then there was COVID. I never got the chance to see them :(

@david weissif you ever got the chance please visit us in Holland! Belgium or the western part of German would be fine as well. I’d take a long ride to see you guys perform. 

'Patterns', you lucky man you! Hope it's a nice walk

Now on my turntable:

NS5qcGVn.jpeg

Lee Konitz Quartet - Ideal Scene (Soul Note, 1986)
with Harold Danko, Rufus Reid, and Al Harewood

Killer band, killer record.

48 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Strangely enough, the one time I saw Strozier play, he was in a lineup including Danny Moore. Same tour perhaps?

Very possible.  

Moore plays impressively on both of Strozier's SteepleChase albums. 

41 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Next up -

Word_from_Bird.jpg

Atlantic black label.

Great record. Must dig out my CDcopy. How is the pressing? I have a few Atlantic black labels, including the Teddy Charles Tentet and found them powerful but noisy, even those that look good and have been through a cleaner.

Anthony

7 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Brilliant find !  Those were the days - needless to say I paid a bit more than that.

With regard to Honest Jon’s in Ladbroke Grove - I bought an original Harold Vick ‘Steppin’ Out’ mono from there, a couple of decades ago. It was hanging out at the back of the counter and the price was pretty fair. That was also where I got my Duke Pearson ‘Sweet Honey Bee’, which they said was a US warehouse find, apparently unplayed. I think staff from there used to go on occasional US trips to source LPs.

Yes, they used to have regular trips to the States to stock the shop. More recently, well last year,  the Kings Cross shop was selling LPs from one of the owner’s collection. Some choice items. I wonder if True Blue was from this collection. 

10 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

Great record. Must dig out my CDcopy. How is the pressing? I have a few Atlantic black labels, including the Teddy Charles Tentet and found them powerful but noisy, even those that look good and have been through a cleaner.

Anthony

Yes, great example of early third-stream. Interesting that Hall Overton is included in the lineup and Mingus appears on a few tracks. This mono copy has a pristine sleeve and looks flawless but yes, there is some background noise. I put the mono switch on the amp and it is significantly less intrusive. Suprisingly so.

I have the ‘Tentet’ album somewhere and will have to dig it out. Another really good one.

Interesting to read from the sleeve that ‘Word’ was written for the Stuttgart Light-Music Festival In 1956. The music reminds me in terms of style a bit of Andre Hodeir’s piece written for Donaueschingen around the same time. Gunther Schuller was also covering similar territory.

Edited by sidewinder

29 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Yes, great example of early third-stream. Interesting that Hall Overton is included in the lineup and Mingus appears on a few tracks. This mono copy has a pristine sleeve and looks flawless but yes, there is some background noise. I put the mono switch on the amp and it is significantly less intrusive. Suprisingly so.

I have the ‘Tentet’ album somewhere and will have to dig it out. Another really good one.

Interesting to read from the sleeve that ‘Word’ was written for the Stuttgart Light-Music Festival In 1956. The music reminds me in terms of style a bit of Andre Hodeir’s piece written for Donaueschingen around the same time. Gunther Schuller was also covering similar territory.

Yes those mono switches can be useful! Dug it off the rack, ‘Word’ sounds incredibly modern for 1956.