Jump to content

What vinyl are you spinning right now??


wolff

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 54.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • sidewinder

    5275

  • paul secor

    4123

  • clifford_thornton

    3847

  • jeffcrom

    2810

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IMG-4913.jpg

such a powerful live date this is. Clifford Jordan at his best. 
 

Speaking about Clifford Jordan: I’ve ordered the new P-Vine/Groove Diggers release of In The World in December 2022. It was supposed to be released in march but got postponed to September. It’s almost October now and still no sign of it. Anyone else here with that in pre order?

Edited by Pim
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

There've been some good recent rediscoveries coming out of that scene.

Like what? Always intrigued when 'obscure' scenes have a light shine on them

Max this afternoon 

Max Roach - Chattahoochee Red [Columbia, 1981]

Picked up for the country price of a couple of pints of beer in a dusty country town shop yesterday. What a terrific listen

Now onto

Max Roach Quartet - Nommo [Victor, Japan 1978]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Like what? Always intrigued when 'obscure' scenes have a light shine on them

Max this afternoon 

Max Roach - Chattahoochee Red [Columbia, 1981]

Picked up for the country price of a couple of pints of beer in a dusty country town shop yesterday. What a terrific listen

Now onto

Max Roach Quartet - Nommo [Victor, Japan 1978]

a3456679050_16.jpg

 

also on Altercat from seventies Argentina/Brazil

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Pim said:

such a powerful live date this is. Clifford Jordan at his best. 

Agreed. Tremendous.  :tup

 

4 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Max Roach - Chattahoochee Red [Columbia, 1981]

Picked up for the country price of a couple of pints of beer in a dusty country town shop yesterday. What a terrific listen

Yes! 

Isn't it odd that an album released on the giant Columbia label has been so consistently ignored? It seems like Chattahoochee Red has been overlooked even more than his albums released on small, indie jazz labels.

Maybe it's because Max's music is so darn POWERFUL. And perhaps his medicine is just too poweful for "general listeners" who aren't ready for it.  Because Max is never playing when he's playing.  He's never messing around.  His intentions are always serious, always lofty, always large.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Isn't it odd that an album released on the giant Columbia label has been so consistently ignored? It seems like Chattahoochee Red has been overlooked even more than his albums released on small, indie jazz labels.

Maybe it's because Max's music is so darn POWERFUL. And perhaps his medicine is just too poweful for "general listeners" who aren't ready for it.  Because Max is never playing when he's playing.  He's never messing around.  His intentions are always serious, always lofty, always large.

 

What it really is is that Columbia only leased the session from Max. That was part of the deal he made with Bruce Lundvall, that Max would own his masters and only lease them to Columbia. So there's nothing they can do if the estate won't deal.

Now, have they made overtures to the estate? That I don't know. But even if they had, it's not Columbia's fault that this record has not been reissued.

I'm no fan of Columbia, but facts is facts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

More than fair "enough", it's true. A simple business reality.

The only counter is an equal truth having to deal with Columbia trying to secure rights to reissue and failing, or proof that whoever the decider(s) were at Columbia explicitly gave direction to never reissue this.

I could believe either,but there is no evidence (or even claims) to support either.

I certainly do believe that Max got blacklisted in certain circles along the way, but check his deals with Bruce Lundvall along the way, which went from Columbia to Elektra-Musician to Blue Note. Records were released and have any of them seen actual reissue?

A fair question might be what shape the Roach estate is in? Do they trust anybody? Is there just too much for one(?) person to handle?

It is indeed a great legacy that could be made even greater, but...business needs to occur on a mutually agreeable basis.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Like what? Always intrigued when 'obscure' scenes have a light shine on them

These are some which I enjoy: 

Fernando Gelbard - Didi

Horacio Chivo Borraro - El Nuevo Sonido del Chivo Borraro

Jorge Lopez Ruiz - Bronca Buenos Aire

Jorge Lopez Ruiz - Viejas Raices

Matias Pizarro - Pelo de Rata

Quinteplus (Carlos Pocho Lapouble and Gustavo Bergalli) - Quinteplus

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, JSngry said:

More than fair "enough", it's true. A simple business reality.

Good grief, Jim.  What do you want?  "You're right. I'm wrong. I submit to your greater knowledge & authority."  Is that sufficient?

Next time I won't wish than an excellent Max LP was more well known.

Jeez.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   1 member


×
×
  • Create New...