Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been transferring some LPs I picked up in CT last month:

Houston Person, Very Person-al (Muse, never issued on CD)

New Original Score from The Connection (Charlie Parker Records) - In glorious NM Mono - now I have all three Connection soundtracks, I was interested in this one when I discovered Kenny Drew composed half of the tunes. Would have probably liked it more if Kenny had played as well.

Valerie Wellington with Magic Slim & The Teardrops, Million Dollar Secret (Rooster) - maybe the best of the lot. I'd never heard of Miss Wellington but the price was right - $4 and I figured I'd dig the backing. What a voice that gal had! So sad to find out now that she died about ten years after her debut recording, of a brain anuerysm.

61101.jpg

I was disappointed in my attempt to hear New Orleans "sissy bounce" hip-hop star Big Freedia tonight, so I'm back at home relaxing with some very different New Orleans-connected music:

The Georgians, Volume 2 (VJM). The Georgians were led by Sicilian-born trumpeter Frank Guarante, who moved to New Orleans as a teenager. He exchanged trumpet lessons with King Oliver, and you can hear what Oliver taught him about how to use a mute.

f83547fpurw.jpg

mzi.jxjwavkm.170x170-75.jpg

these two bought this morning :tup :tup

I have the NO FEAR album; posted it on this thread some time ago. Just a terrific album. Haven't been lucky enough to have picked up APPLICATION yet. Trevor Watts with John Stevens is a potent combination. I talked to Watts last year and he is still quite devoted to the memory of Stevens,

hey Jeff - those VJMs are incredible. And the sound on some of those is master quality (apparently they were able to get British Columbia or EMI or whatever it was to give them pristine test pressings of stuff. The Johnny Dunn, among others, is frighteningly clean. I've been buying these up from Ebay).

Edited by AllenLowe

records-7-033.jpg

Brad Gowans and his New York Nine (RCA Victor). A nice 1954 gatefold 10" LP issue of a little-known, but wonderful 1946 session. Valve trombonist Gowans arranged a bunch of dixieland standards and a couple of originals in a modern (for the time) style. The band includes Billy Butterfield and Dave Tough. This is a good one.