• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

520835965-1.jpg

Steve Lacy Quintet - Follies (FMP)

You're not lying about that score! Any others?

The guy who contacted me sent me a list of Lacy albums he had for sale. Some were pretty rare, but I had all of them except Eronel, Follies, Futurities, and Tips. He gave me reasonable prices on all four, but I only sprung for three, since I've been buying a lot of records lately. As he was packing the records, he noticed that the top seam of the Eronel cover had come unglued and felt bad about it, so he threw in the fourth album for free. I told him that wasn't necessary - all Horo covers come unglued - but he did it anyway.

Eronel and Follies had been near the top of my want list for some time, and it's nice to have the original double-LP of Futurities; for some reason volume one has been impossible to find on CD, although volume 2 is fairly common.

After playing Follies tonight, it instantly became one of my favorite Lacy albums from the 1970s.

Edited by jeffcrom

Found some old 45s and I'm listening to Prince singing "When Doves Cry."

Also in the pile, all in perfect shape. I look after my stuff:

An ep, Glenn Miller No.3 which has "Elmer's tune", "Moonlight cocktail", "Johnson rag"and "Missouri waltz."

"Stagger Lee" by Tommy Roe

"Mame" Al Hirt

"For All We Know" Carpenters

"Pretty Baby That's A-Plenty" Lew Marcus

"Broken Wings" Mister Mister

"Tango" dalbello

"Jessie's Girl" Rick Springfield

"Boy From New York City" Manhatten Transfer

"Stand By Me" Ben E King

I'm 16 again. :winky:

It's got Art Pepper on it. And Phil Ranelin. And George Cables. And Peter Erskine. And Stanley Clarke.

And it's produced by John Koenig. And it's on Liberty.

And it's a totally produced poppy-jazzy thingy. One tune is an obvious cop of "Feels So Good". The rest is ok enough in a "for what it is" kind of way.

Freddie could do this in his sleep (and probably did on this one), but the somewhat active presence of Art Pepper throws this into a zone of parallel universe weirdness that I was not ready for, or may ever be ready for.

Music can fuck with your mind in all kinds of ways, not all of them necessarily beneficial.

Also, look at that cover photo. Put a white border around it, give it an appropriately evocative title, and it's an LT.

Only...it's not.

ooo, u have an EMI/Harvest Alone Together? ooo!

i love this lp, so awesome to hear art in a totally 80s fusion context

[

quote name='JSngry' timestamp='1341540634' post='1208701']

It's got Art Pepper on it. And Phil Ranelin. And George Cables. And Peter Erskine. And Stanley Clarke.

And it's produced by John Koenig. And it's on Liberty.

And it's a totally produced poppy-jazzy thingy. One tune is an obvious cop of "Feels So Good". The rest is ok enough in a "for what it is" kind of way.

Freddie could do this in his sleep (and probably did on this one), but the somewhat active presence of Art Pepper throws this into a zone of parallel universe weirdness that I was not ready for, or may ever be ready for.

Music can fuck with your mind in all kinds of ways, not all of them necessarily beneficial.

Also, look at that cover photo. Put a white border around it, give it an appropriately evocative title, and it's an LT.

Only...it's not.

i love this lp, so awesome to hear art in a totally 80s fusion context

I think he plays really, really well on that Hersh Hamel thing. But on Mistral? Not so sure about that, at least not for my taste.

I think he had headphones on while playing. :g

Paul Barnes - Portrait of a New Orleans Clarinet Player (CSA). A wonderful 1973 record by the New Orleans Creole clarinetist, who recorded with Jelly Roll Morton, King Oliver, and Oscar Celestin in the 1920's. The rhythm section consists, in its entirety, of pianist Sing Miller and drummer Louis Barbarin. Side one pairs Barnes with longtime Fats Domino alto saxist Joseph Harris; on side two his front-line partner is the great Louis Nelson on trombone. This record makes me smile.

Later: Whatever the opposite of "slick" is, that's what this album is. I love it.

Again. This music really made me feel good.